Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:26 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times

Advertisements

I used to listen to the Bruins on 1030 WBZ, shame they don't broadcast their games any more, I have also gotten WOAI out of San Antonio, WBAP out of Dallas, I can get several stations out of New York and Chicago, and get St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Iowa, and several others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 07:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
I live in Pittsburgh and travel frequently by car to CT. One of the most annoying things to me is that on my drive back on I-80, once I'm through the Poconos I can pick up baseball games from Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, Toronto and even the Buffalo Bisons. But for the life of me I cannot pick up a Pirates game until I reach the Bellefonte/State College exit.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:36 PM

263 posts, read 438,116 times
Mediumwave DX'ing used to be fun back in the late 1970s & throughout much of the 1980s when many AM radio stations actually had their own local overnight programming. While I was mostly looking for the callsign ID & maybe the name of the show & a couple commercials to mention in a reception report, it was fun & educational to get-away from the national news reports & learn a little about local issues on those stations that had overnight talk shows.

Most local overnight programming is long-gone, replaced with feeds of syndicated garbage like Coast to Coast AM (it's amazing to use a good receiver/antenna pair at night & hear that show on so many different stations), sports, and the midnight trucker radio network.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:11 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,918 times
Something nobody covered in this thread that I know occurs is that many radio stations DO NOT have to comply by FCC rules if they are just outside the USA. For example, if a radio station wanted to produce a huge station in Northern Mexico right by the USA and blast a signal at night. They would be free to do so.. Of course this will probably not happen now with AM radio hurting and our terrestial forms of communication are changing and becoming more online and mobile based.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:04 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Thumbs up *

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer
This is the time of year when all parts of the U.S., at least quiet locations, should receive an AM station on almost every or every frequency at night, sometimes very strongly.
Yup you got an AM listener here.... I LOVE AM!!!!

This stupid IBOC crap made it harder to listen but its still good!!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:03 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Here in Los Angeles, KOA/Denver comes in very well every night since it's a 'clear channel' station with no other stations permitted to be on the same frequency within several hundred miles; KOA/Albuquerque also comes in very well.

Depending on where I am within 50 miles of DTLA, I can also pick up stations in Salt Lake City, Phoenix and KFBK/Sacramento, where Rush Limbaugh became a star.

Most of the major league baseball teams are on stations which can be heard in 25-30+ states after dark including KOA; if you went out for a drive after dark you'd be amazed how many different baseball games you'd be able to listen to, and especially in the middle of the country.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 AM

165 posts, read 194,450 times
Despite receiving several ABC affiliates at the same time at night while I'm driving, in Southern Maryland the New York station comes in on my car radio the strongest.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:55 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,160 times
Default Cool Thread..

Wow! cool thread.

When we we're getting ready for Hurricane Sandy to hit us, we pulled out all the stops, our power was underground so we had power no problem there, a part of my kit bag is a wind up radio my son picked up for us the year before, I had that baby popin' hot, I ran the dial and a voice caught my attention and it was Michael Savage who was off the Air for a good long while, I said, wow! Michael is back on the dial, the thing is it was from the Ohio valley some where's, lol. that station on the radio was as clear as the midnight sky, I love my wind up Radio, that baby is a cool little piece of equipment. Glad to have it in a time of need.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:58 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Something nobody covered in this thread that I know occurs is that many radio stations DO NOT have to comply by FCC rules if they are just outside the USA. For example, if a radio station wanted to produce a huge station in Northern Mexico right by the USA and blast a signal at night. They would be free to do so.. Of course this will probably not happen now with AM radio hurting and our terrestial forms of communication are changing and becoming more online and mobile based.

Just like Wolfman Jack used to do in the 70's on XERF 1570 AM out of Ciudad Acuna, Mexico.

XERF. Aircheck, Wolfman Jack 70's - YouTube

Old 07-15-2015, 08:43 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Here is a massive info site that will be a help to AM Dx'ers:

Radio-Locator

Cool link, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio