Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 03:17 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Some velvet morning when I'm straight...

It's just not the same without Art.
I agree totally. I feel like George was picked because his voice sounds very similar to Art (I have a good ear for voices) and because he did a good job of emulating Art when he was on staff and occasionally filled in. But now that he's the main guy I really notice that he is not coming from the same place as Art, he's taking the show in a different direction, is not as good an interviewer or at keeping his personal beliefs out of the show.

I'm not a 'believer'. I only stumbled on the show as I get up really early and my radio alarm clock only gets one station...which carried the show.
What I came to appreciate was (1) Arts ability to portray the exact same level of interest and positivity in every guest no matter how far out there. Regardless of everything else it was interesting just to listing to him interview and (2) the wide variety of guests and subjects from bat**** crazy weird to interesting new science - it all seemed welcomed with enthusiasm and I loved that open mindedness.
I get the impression that George is a standard christian conservative trying to imitate something he is not.

I miss Art, don't like George much and it drives me crazy that his voice sounds like Art..

Last edited by Giesela; 03-17-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 05:06 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Giesela,
Do you really think Noory is a Christian Conservative? Maybe, but I get a feeling from him of a huckster who adjusts to who he thinks is his main audience from reading the feedback that he gets from the marketing staff or some Nielson report.

There was just some impression I got when I used to listen, how he promoted his book/s.

Then again, I thought Art was in it for the money, too, but he was just more professional and presented a really good show. Art was worth the big bucks. Noory is still at apprentice level.

I don't know what kind of contract he has, but think he might have had a really good lawyer. I would think that the station would have canned him by now.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:09 PM

36 posts, read 79,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
How do you people feel about John B. Wells?

Great voice but kind of flakey.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownr View Post
Great voice but kind of flakey.
I have not heard this guy. I don't like Noory and cannot listen to the program on Saturday because the NY station WOR has some health huckster commercials on all night/morning.

I used to like Ian a lot. He has tinnitus which is getting worse. I hope he finds a cure for it. I remember when I used to listen to him, his show did not, for some time, seem as free and easy. It may be that his hearing disorder started up around that time.

It seems a shame when some radio personality can abuse drugs which caused him a hearing disorder that he ameliorates with an implant, and then this other person gets tinnitus through no fault of his own, and it disrupts his career.

Where's the justice in the universe?

I did not find a Wikipedia entry when I googled this new guy. I hope he does not have a political agenda and reins guests back when they start propagandizing on the show.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:59 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
I like John Wells as well. Great voice...great delivery...great taste in guests.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:33 AM

36 posts, read 79,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I have not heard this guy. I don't like Noory and cannot listen to the program on Saturday because the NY station WOR has some health huckster commercials on all night/morning.

I used to like Ian a lot. He has tinnitus which is getting worse. I hope he finds a cure for it. I remember when I used to listen to him, his show did not, for some time, seem as free and easy. It may be that his hearing disorder started up around that time.

It seems a shame when some radio personality can abuse drugs which caused him a hearing disorder that he ameliorates with an implant, and then this other person gets tinnitus through no fault of his own, and it disrupts his career.

Where's the justice in the universe?

I did not find a Wikipedia entry when I googled this new guy. I hope he does not have a political agenda and reins guests back when they start propagandizing on the show.

Only thing I remember hearing about John Wells is that he is from Los Angeles.

I heard a rebroadcast of Noory last night. He had on an invited guest who was totally rambling. That show has gone downhill since Art left.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:37 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
As i worked nights the whole reason i got XM radio was to listen to Art Bell. I was very disappointed when he kinda gave up on the show..I never did figure out why art built his show to an empire status of 500 stations then he just walked away..
i know Art still guest hosts but its so infrequent i dont bother with the show any more..
George Noori? you aint no Art Bell.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As i worked nights the whole reason i got XM radio was to listen to Art Bell. I was very disappointed when he kinda gave up on the show..I never did figure out why art built his show to an empire status of 500 stations then he just walked away..
i know Art still guest hosts but its so infrequent i dont bother with the show any more..
George Noori? you aint no Art Bell.
Well, he was starting to really repeat guests a lot. There were too few new ideas coming out. The program might have been better just one or two day on the weekends.

Then, frankly, there was controversy over his wife, Ramona's, death. She was dying as he lay sleeping in the next room, so the story goes. She had asthma and people can die of that, but he said she told him she was ok, and that he should just go to bed. He woke up to find her dead.

He remarried very quickly after that, changing his address to the Philippines, where his wife was from.

There were conflicting stories of how and where he first contacted his new, much younger, wife. It could have been going on when Ramona was alive.

So, I don't know what to think.

He was a master of the show and nobody can take his place.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I remember one of the last shows i heard him hosting he was having some problem broadcasting from the Philippines..

Old 06-02-2012, 02:24 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
This looks like a good one:

Date: 06-02-12
Host: John B. Wells
Guests: Mario Beauregard

John B. Wells welcomes neuropsychologist Mario Beauregard for a discussion on his research into the role of the brain and mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio