Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,194 times

Advertisements

My mother and I had left for a week to visit my grandparents and we left my dad with our 3 cats and new dog.
Of course our cats were stressed by this, my cat who pass (Furnando) was the most stressed. We let our cats roam outside because they always come back and there are no real dangers where we live, but we tried our best to keep Nando inside, because of his blind eye. For a while Nando refused to enter the house or would hide from the dog.
When my father picked us up from the airport a week later (today; Sunday), I jokingly asked him if one of the cats had died, because the dog always barked at them and they would always pick fights, and my dad had told me that the night before (Saturday), that Nando was breathing heavily and was throwing up. He told us that he had a rather large vomit on Saturday night, my father described it as what looked to be a beetle, because he thought he saw wings, and grass.
Because Nando was originally feral and we adopted him from a pet rescue, I never really bothered to keep him from eating insects, even though our other cats would never touch them.
Our oldest cat tends to vomit a lot because of how quickly he eats his food, so everybody it pretty keen on what 'normal' cat vomit looks like.
My father also said he took a syringe (I used to have a baby bird and fed him his supplements in his mouth with the syringe) and mixed some Half-and-Half cream with some water, and fed the cat with it. He said about 10 minutes later, the cat threw up, but had shown no signs of the milk solution, but yet a weird clearish liquid with his beetle-vomit.
My dad has very little experience with cats as hes only ever lived with dogs, but he didn't know that the creamer upsets the cats stomachs and gives them diarrhea.
When my father woke up and began to walk towards the kitchen, he found Nando laying down on the floor, my dad waited to see him move or see his chest move up and down, but my father said he saw him lying like a rock.
I am at peace to know he might have died in his sleep, because it would be less painful for him, because my father said he looked so comfortable there on his favorite spot on the tile.
All I want is to know what could have killed my cat, and to know if it may put my other cats at danger.
And also, where I live, we have no poisonous insects, snakes or mushrooms, and even normal mushrooms are nowhere near our house. And yes, I am certain. Almost all scorpions on the island were killed. I think he might have slipped into one of the rat poison traps, because there are several in my complex, even though I've seen him sniff a ratbox before and simply walk away.
Please, all I need is some closure, all I ask for are some suggestions. When we get more money we plan to take our other two cats to the vet as well. Please, please, any suggestions of to what have may hurt him will be greatly appreciated, I am a lot closer with my other two cats, and I don't want to find them dead as well. Please, I ask you wholeheartedly, please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:34 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,842,530 times
Besides offering a virtual hug and my condolences, the best I can do is suggest that you take Furnando's body to the vet and request a necropsy. From what I've read it sounds as though he was indeed poisoned in some way - though probably not from eating an insect.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 PM

154 posts, read 308,133 times
Awwww, I'm so sorry. RIP Furnando.

I'm not a vet or a vet tech so I can't offer any meaningful input. It does sound like he got into something; you may want to begin keeping your other cats indoors, where you have more control over the environment. I too would recommend the necropsy.

Again, I offer you my sincerest condolences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge