Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 12:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,984,933 times

Advertisements

Very sorry for your loss. What you describe is not unusual for those of us who are so very attached to their furbabies. Try to stay busy and put your mind towards other things. No doubt your dog lived a very happy life and did not enjoy seeing you in distress. Perhaps channel the energy put towards grief into honor him and your life together in a way that is appropriate. If you are having serious difficulties with depression please seek grief counseling with a mental health professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 01:37 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,444,122 times
If one is prone to depression, any personal loss can trigger it (or, if somewhat depressed already, cause a "double dip." I speak personally and professionally).
Grieving and mourning your loss are of course normal and necessary. Feeling sad isn't the same as depression. Only you and maybe a knowlegable third party can help you understand if this is depression chemicals running amok or expected sadness.
The content of one's thoughts when depressed feel like the crux of the matter, but they aren't. Depression never speaks with a logical content, it has a bleh all its own.
I euthanized a 17-year-old cattle dog I had for two wonderful years after two terrible days of apparent kidney failure. The tech said something thoughtless about him looking healthy (he had a great coat) but she thought he was around 12. I went back to the vet a couple of days later to ask if I'd done it "too soon"! At 17, with lethargy, vomiting, no intake and a complete collapse of his personality. Of course I felt guilty- had I done it too soon?
We take care of them as best we can, and that includes a proper death when they are unable to live well a majority of the days. I'm sure the OP's vet was familiar with vestibular syndrome (I had a senior with it, didn't know what it was, and the secretary diagnosed it over the phone! And my senior did recover). If the vet didn't think the dog had VS, then you shouldn't give it more thought. He/she has a lot of training and experience to know whether a dog's problems are reasonably treatable or not.
Pick a favorite memory of your dog and run it through your mind, and caress the dog's name while you remember. You did your best.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:28 AM

11 posts, read 15,261 times
I do act like he is still around me, as if my best friend is still here to do the daily things we use to do together, we may not be in physical form together, but in spirit we are surely together! Whenever you have formed a bond so strong, it is strong enough to withstand anything life throws at you, even separation!! So, my big boy is still around me so strongly, I keep his presence alive thru my love for him. I sure do miss his waggy tail hitting the floor in the mornings, and our usual routine we had together, you know, its weird how even the simple things your dog needed you for, like opening the door in the mornings and anytime they need to go out to potty, that was a simple thing for us, but they sure need us to do even that for them, they are like little children in alot of ways, how precious they are! take care

Old 07-15-2010, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,244 times
Unhappy Putting to sleep my beautiful labrador today. 7/15/10

Sam I am...I realize this post is older, but I found it on the net today in my search for peace. Tonight 7/15/2010 at 5:30 I will be putting down my 11.5 yr old chocolate lab Bailey. My heart is broken beyond my understanding. I have never been through this, and the pain is unreal. He has a tumor on his skull that is clearly going to the brain. He paces and pants even on pain meds. He just wont settle, his eyes look "off", won't wag his tail, won't lay down for long. But still eats and drinks, and looks at me with that beautiful face, and I am so doubting my decision. Reading your post, and how many times you've been through this is so helpful. To know that I will be ok, and may find another dog to love. My children are 7 and 4, and equally devastated at tonight's appointment. I have no idea how to get through this, but I want you to know your post has helped my in some small way.

God bless you, and any dogs you've loved.

Aimee

Old 07-15-2010, 08:19 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,420,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee1276 View Post
Sam I am...I realize this post is older, but I found it on the net today in my search for peace. Tonight 7/15/2010 at 5:30 I will be putting down my 11.5 yr old chocolate lab Bailey. My heart is broken beyond my understanding. I have never been through this, and the pain is unreal. He has a tumor on his skull that is clearly going to the brain. He paces and pants even on pain meds. He just wont settle, his eyes look "off", won't wag his tail, won't lay down for long. But still eats and drinks, and looks at me with that beautiful face, and I am so doubting my decision. Reading your post, and how many times you've been through this is so helpful. To know that I will be ok, and may find another dog to love. My children are 7 and 4, and equally devastated at tonight's appointment. I have no idea how to get through this, but I want you to know your post has helped my in some small way.

God bless you, and any dogs you've loved.

Aimee
Aimee - there are so many of us here that know the emotions you are going through right now. Its hard - the hardest thing that you can do but it is a kindness for your dear Bailey. Our dogs don't have the understanding or the language skills to know what the vet has told us. All they know is that they are hurting and are confused by the changes they feel. Hug your girl and let her know how much you love her. Also know in your heart that this is so she will not be in pain anymore. Right now its going to hurt but as time goes by you will start remembering the happy times more than the sadness. Hugz to you, your family and your girl Bailey from me and mine.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 PM

11 posts, read 15,261 times
Aimee-my heart goes out to you and your family during this difficult time today you are facing, be strong and know in your heart it is the "time." Please know that others are with you, and know all the thoughts that are going thru your mind today as you must follow thru this difficult decision. It certainly is the most horrible, although responsible thing, a dog owner must face. Hug him and give him lots of love, and tell him its o.k. to have to go, that you understand that he is old and ill, that he is a treasure always, he'll know what you are saying to him, look into his eyes, and he'll know that it will be o.k. to have to leave, to go to rainbow bridge until you meet again. My thoughts are with you...

Old 07-15-2010, 01:30 PM

19,567 posts, read 9,578,201 times
((I've tried multiquoting but haven't got the hang of it yet)).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Aimee - there are so many of us here that know the emotions you are going through right now. Its hard - the hardest thing that you can do but it is a kindness for your dear Bailey. Our dogs don't have the understanding or the language skills to know what the vet has told us. All they know is that they are hurting and are confused by the changes they feel. Hug your girl and let her know how much you love her. Also know in your heart that this is so she will not be in pain anymore. Right now its going to hurt but as time goes by you will start remembering the happy times more than the sadness. Hugz to you, your family and your girl Bailey from me and mine.
Both orig post by Aimee and Va-Cat's got tears in my eyes. I've been there on more than one occasion. It's very tough, but if at least one of you can be at the dog's side to hug/hold them in the final moments, it will be good for the dog as he/she {she, in your case, right?} will have that comforting feeling. After the 1st time it happened, and subsequent members arrived at our house, I've always got down and hugged them right before bed time for awhile. When that sad moment comes, they feel the comfort of our arms whether or not they sense it's just for the night, we'll never really know for sure. I think that comforts us as well . You know your dog knows they're loved that's what matters.

Last edited by cat1116; 07-15-2010 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: note on top.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:36 PM

512 posts, read 1,437,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
why do we have to make up a silly story like that just to feel better? this is ridiculous!
death is a natural part of life. why not accept it as such and instead of making up bogus fairytale like the above, focus on remembering the good memories and moving on?
just silly!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:38 PM

19,567 posts, read 9,578,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
why do we have to make up a silly story like that just to feel better? this is ridiculous!
death is a natural part of life. why not accept it as such and instead of making up bogus fairytale like the above, focus on remembering the good memories and moving on?
just silly!
Different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:44 PM

512 posts, read 1,437,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Different strokes for different folks.
yes, true, but i believe that's degrading to human intelligence, thinking power....and....LOGIC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge