Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,707,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivoniaMi View Post
Just curious, what do they charge for license plate renewal in North Carolina?
I think its $20 annually, $40 for a personalized plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 12:06 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,585,622 times
Don't you understand, politicians can spend your money better than you can.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:07 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,585,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
A bit OT, but I've always wondered why NC's Highway use tax is based on the value of a car. Don't all cars use the highways equally regardless of value? You'd think it would be a flat fee...

Same reason I pay 35% on my income instead of 12%. The more you make the more they take.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:46 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,912 times
Quote:
A bit OT, but I've always wondered why NC's Highway use tax is based on the value of a car. Don't all cars use the highways equally regardless of value? You'd think it would be a flat fee...
THIS! when i moved here 12 years ago & had a practically newer vehicle i was astounded that they charged me that usage tax based on my car's value. i asked the rep, "don't we all just have four tires hitting the road?". no response. it still burns me up.

on the subject of car tax bills - i also got mine yesterday & noted the $25 raleigh fee. it's more than the tax on my piddly vehicle. i don't recall paying that fee before but perhaps i blocked it out?

Old 06-16-2010, 12:59 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I was flabbergasted by this article in the N&O today:

OK, I figured - there must be some great need for higher taxes in Orange County, right? Perhaps due to the economy, or some great unmet need. But no:

Now I'm not some conservative Tea Party kind of person (I live in Chapel Hill, after all), but I couldn't help but think - Really?? You want to ask for a tax increase, and then figure out what to spend the money on? If Orange County doesn't have an identified need for additional taxes, I don't believe they should be asking for it.
I don't see the problem. They're putting it to a vote of residents. If folks think it's not a wise idea to give for a non-specified tax increase, it'll get voted down.

That said, the additional revenue could be useful. Schools are being squeezed, and the share of revenue accounted for by property taxes is getting way too high in Orange County. What the county needs is much more non-residential development, but a small sales tax increase would help the revenue balance immediately as well.

Also, a commenter further down comments that "NC likes to suck money from the tax payers." The Tax Foundation stats are imperfect, but they're the best I could find, and NC's state and local tax burden is 20th in the country, far from the highest, but not the lowest. We could reduce it to South Carolina (37th) or Alabama levels (38th), but there's a price to be paid for that.

As for Florida, it's been helped greatly by the massive migration into the state, which means you can get lots of revenue from permitting and other such sources (as well as by charging much higher property tax on transplants). As the migration slows, the tax burden in FL will fall heavier on residents, meaning either a cut in services or an increase in taxes.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:59 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,080,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
THIS! when i moved here 12 years ago & had a practically newer vehicle i was astounded that they charged me that usage tax based on my car's value. i asked the rep, "don't we all just have four tires hitting the road?". no response. it still burns me up.

on the subject of car tax bills - i also got mine yesterday & noted the $25 raleigh fee. it's more than the tax on my piddly vehicle. i don't recall paying that fee before but perhaps i blocked it out?
So you guys have me reaching back to my early days of living here ... Didn't you have to buy a small plate that said "Raleigh" when you lived in the city? Or was that Durham? Maybe I'm making this up, but something here rings a bell for me ...

Frank

Old 06-16-2010, 01:05 PM

43 posts, read 123,205 times
Quote:
Yes, if it were actually a usage tax. It's really just another luxury tax.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
I don't see the problem. They're putting it to a vote of residents. If folks think it's not a wise idea to give for a non-specified tax increase, it'll get voted down.
That's true, and it probably will get voted down. Still, I expect better from our elected leaders. I expect them to lead on issues - not just punt them to the voters. If they think more revenue is needed - then justify it. If not, then don't bug the voters about it. Ask for taxes when they are really needed and you're likely to get a slighly better response than if you ask for them at times when you don't need them (crying wolf).

Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM

306 posts, read 883,538 times
"Do Our Local Leaders Get It?"
My guess would be NO.
Maybe you should ask Bob Etheridge. Oh wait, no don't do that...

Old 06-16-2010, 02:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post

Also, a commenter further down comments that "NC likes to suck money from the tax payers." The Tax Foundation stats are imperfect, but they're the best I could find, and NC's state and local tax burden is 20th in the country, far from the highest, but not the lowest. We could reduce it to South Carolina (37th) or Alabama levels (38th), but there's a price to be paid for that.

As for Florida, it's been helped greatly by the massive migration into the state, which means you can get lots of revenue from permitting and other such sources (as well as by charging much higher property tax on transplants). As the migration slows, the tax burden in FL will fall heavier on residents, meaning either a cut in services or an increase in taxes.
NC hasn't seen a massive migration into the state?

NH (I grew up there) has no income tax and no sales tax and some of the best schools in the country. #46 out of 50 in tax burden. And no massive migration into the state. Now what excuse does NC have?

NH is very very conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary