Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:35 PM

148 posts, read 562,876 times

Advertisements

Are we missing something??? Thought Raleigh was horrible! What is the fuss about??? What are we missing?? Drove around the whole area from downtown Raleigh,Cary, Apex, Wake Forest... We don't get it. What is the attraction there? Would really like to know why everyone is flocking to the Raleigh area and what they do for jobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 05:42 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I guess it depends on what you are looking for?

I think *most* people coming here are coming for the lower cost of housing compared to other highly dense areas of the country, the decent job market, the good schools, open spaces and slower pace of life.

I don't think people are coming here because it's some type of fascinating city, which it isn't. I think for most people moving here, they feel that their quality of life is improved comapred to what they have or could have.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:08 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
If you do a search you will see you are not alone. But for some of us we call it home, So no, it is not for everyone as you found out. And at least you can say, you came and you saw.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:39 PM

59 posts, read 268,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad5117 View Post
Are we missing something??? Thought Raleigh was horrible! What is the fuss about??? What are we missing?? Drove around the whole area from downtown Raleigh,Cary, Apex, Wake Forest... We don't get it. What is the attraction there? Would really like to know why everyone is flocking to the Raleigh area and what they do for jobs!
It depends on what you are looking for and where you are coming from For me it was like coming home (kinda). I grew up in ATL before it became the massive sprawl that it is today. The triangle reminds me of what Atlanta was like when I was a child, a good many years ago. I've also lived in CA for quite a few years and became accustomed to an eclectic environment. That is why we chose Chapel Hill instead of Cary or some of the other typical suburan communites. I raised my kids in neighborhoods like that and it was wonderful for them but I wouldn't want to live there now. I'm not knocking it. We simply want something different at this stage in our lives.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:13 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Default Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad5117 View Post
Tonight during my two hour commute home from the client site, while standing on a crowded commuter rail while some inconsiderate lout repeatedly bumped against me because he didn't want to step into the train, I was enjoying the view as the various parts of New York City passed before me. Traffic on Queens Boulevard, bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Van Wyck, a crowded platform in Jamaica Station where I needed to transfer trains and fight a crowd for a seat, more traffic on the L.I.E., cars ripping through the parking lot at my station not willing to slow down and let pedestrian traffic pass safely. I can't believe I'm giving all of this up.

I came home to my family where my son complained that he threw his last baseball over the neighbors fence because it's too close and it's hard for him to hold back. My youngest son wanted to ride his bike but the street in front of my house is so riddled with potholes that it's unsafe..... despite my nearly $10k per year in taxes. I went to a friends house to drop something off and the husband was in a snit because his latest job search is stalled, his wife is at him because they really need a bigger place then their small ranch provides and he can't afford the additional mortgage and property taxes with his current salary.

What do I see in Raleigh? Affordable homes with reasonable taxes. An easier city to get around with an airport that's twenty minutes away during rush hour. I'm moving from .17 acres to 1.02 acres and from a yard 40 feet wide to one that's 110 feet wide. The people are more polite, the pace at least a step slower, an extended warm weather season, convenient drives to popular vacation destinations, good schools, diverse community and a chance to switch from "living to work" to "working to live".

Old 06-19-2007, 03:58 AM

351 posts, read 1,068,900 times
Actually Raleigh's sprawl isn't as bad as a lot of places. Personally I'll take sprawl over being packed in a city anyday.

Sprawl Cities:

Sprawl City

Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 AM

233 posts, read 860,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Tonight during my two hour commute home from the client site, while standing on a crowded commuter rail while some inconsiderate lout repeatedly bumped against me because he didn't want to step into the train, I was enjoying the view as the various parts of New York City passed before me. Traffic on Queens Boulevard, bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Van Wyck, a crowded platform in Jamaica Station where I needed to transfer trains and fight a crowd for a seat, more traffic on the L.I.E., cars ripping through the parking lot at my station not willing to slow down and let pedestrian traffic pass safely. I can't believe I'm giving all of this up.

I came home to my family where my son complained that he threw his last baseball over the neighbors fence because it's too close and it's hard for him to hold back. My youngest son wanted to ride his bike but the street in front of my house is so riddled with potholes that it's unsafe..... despite my nearly $10k per year in taxes. I went to a friends house to drop something off and the husband was in a snit because his latest job search is stalled, his wife is at him because they really need a bigger place then their small ranch provides and he can't afford the additional mortgage and property taxes with his current salary.

What do I see in Raleigh? Affordable homes with reasonable taxes. An easier city to get around with an airport that's twenty minutes away during rush hour. I'm moving from .17 acres to 1.02 acres and from a yard 40 feet wide to one that's 110 feet wide. The people are more polite, the pace at least a step slower, an extended warm weather season, convenient drives to popular vacation destinations, good schools, diverse community and a chance to switch from "living to work" to "working to live".

I don't think I've ever heard anyone put it any better!

Old 06-19-2007, 05:02 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,074 times
I second that, and thanks for making me smile this morning NYC2RDU.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:49 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
To me, if you didn't see something you liked in the area, why drag it through the mud trying to get people to defend it? It's not for you, and that is that. For some of us the area provides a much better quality of life, more friendly people and a generally more pleasant environment in which to live. Even those of us who know nothing of life outside a big city. I personally am very glad that it is not for everyone - the whole country could not possibly fit here!

Old 06-19-2007, 06:40 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
I think a more appropriate question to ask is what is it you are looking for in a place to relocate? That might be more helpful to you rather than learning why people are moving to an area you do not care for. If you don’t like Raleigh, that is cool. I don’t feel threatened or feel compelled to defend it. No place is perfect for everyone. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary