Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times

Advertisements

We had a tough time finding an honest dentist in Raleigh. First was an outright thief. Second was an a-hole who wanted to buy all expensive gadgets for his office and use them on you to rack up a big bill.

Finally found Dr. John Devine at Howarth Family Dental (Cary & Raleigh). Dr. Devine used to be a Public Health Service dentist and is 100% honest and ethical. If he says you need something, you need it.

Only issue is that you must wait some time for an appointment with him since he's in demand. There are several doctors in the practice, so emergencies can be handled. We've gone there for 12 years.

Watch out for the "sedation dentistry" and "smile improvement" dentists. They will serve you just like the bull serves the cow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 10:14 PM

125 posts, read 530,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfetteredSoul View Post
I'm not from Cary or even near Raleigh, but rather, near Charlotte.... and I've had a bad experience with DentalWorks (the Gastonia, NC office) and I'm here to hopefully warn you to find somewhere else to have your work done...... the 'cheaper' part is NOT worth the aggravation.... I had new dentures made... the work was sloppy, they didn't have a hope of fitting, the dentist got MAD at me for being there during an appointment time for an adjustment, (that's only supposed to happen between 11am and 11:30 daily).... ONLY, my dentures don't fit at ALL, but if I was to get an appointment for an adjustment like I'm supposed to, the FIRST ONE is July 23!!???.and this is July 13th????.... not gonna happen to this chick!!....I gave back the dentures, called my Insurance Co. and had the claim cancelled.....

oh, and they're not interested in WHY I'm upset.....an email to their main office got no response.....

skip them.... you'll be better off....their offices have that 'assembly line' feeling..... really!!.... like the other poster said, like a number, not a name....and when I tried to reason with this dentist, she kept saying that I 'didn't understand'.... like I'm stupid?.... SHE"S the one who doesn't understand!!!.... what a crock!!...perhaps another office has better people in it?... I sure hope so, for the patients' sakes..................
Typical story about a doctor who dreams dollar signs - The worst part is you have to go thru all that to find out its a crappy doctor. Wish there was a better way to screen these places beforehand, but there really isnt much available to my knowledge.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Howarth Dentistry in Cary has a good reputation and following, also I would recommend Dr.William Wynne in West Raleigh.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:27 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,746 times
I have been to DentalWorks in Cary & I do NOT recommend it.

It has a dental clinic feel to the place. It's big & seems a little dirty. I tried to schedule a cleaning, but they insisted I had to come in for an initial consultation & to have x-rays taken. I had JUST had x-rays taken in MA a few months prior to this appt. Turns out (strangely enough) that it was cheaper to have new ones taken than to have x-rays sent from MA (Dentist in MA charges $50, but X-rays w/ new dentist after insurance was a cost to me of $26).

So anyway, the visit went okay as far as wait time and getting back to an exam room. They took x-rays & it HURT!! They were using some kind of metal positioner to place the x-rays in my mouth. It was being jammed in there. I have NEVER seen this kind of positioner used before. When I have gone to the dentist the tech just asks me to hold the x-ray film if it won't stay by just biting down on it. I have a feeling these types of positioners are used by those who are very inexperienced doing x-rays. X-rays are NOT supposed to hurt!

And after the x-rays the dentist comes in & says I will need a two part cleaning. I think NOT!! I had a cleaning only 7-8 months prior. I wasn't that over due for a cleaning.

I made the appts however and then came to the internet to ask others what they thought of Dental Works. I was told "Dental Works is to denistry as Super Cuts is to hair cutting."

I would NEVER EVER go back. In fact I probably would have never made the appt. if I had know what kind of place this was. When I was looking through my insurance list of dentists the practice isn't listed as "Dental Works" but by the doctor's name. I picked the most convenient location. Bad idea!!!

Old 08-05-2007, 06:01 PM

Dr. Wynne is the one that tried to sell us a lot of needless tests. Screwed up insurance with incorrect bills.

I'd pass him by.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Hm...I've been going to him since I was 6 years old and he's never tried to sell me anything. X rays and flouride and that's about it. He's always offered other services that he does, mostly cosmetic, but i can't think of anything he's ever tried to push on me needlessly. And we had to file our own insurance with him, so there have never been any issues in 30 years of going to him.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:31 AM

I'm glad he served you well.

We had the opposite experience.

His staff tried to tell me I needed "double" cleanings - not needed since then and it's been years. They tried to stick me with a bill for a TMJ test w/o telling that it wasn't part of the normal exam and it cost extra. Since treating TMJ is costly and I couldn't consider this, I'd never have agreed to the test had he explained it cost extra. He tried the same kind of stunt on my wife with full mouth impressions. These are normally done when you need a crown.

His office staff made the Three Stooges look like great employees. My heavens, what they did in balling up the ADA codes on insurance claims.

Had to file a grievance with the Dental Society and bid him goodbye.

This was years ago, so perhaps his office has improved.

Without proof of this, I'd never recommend him to anyone.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:06 AM

2 posts, read 9,334 times
oh, yes!... you just reminded me... while at the Gastonia office, I was told they were 'offering' an oral cancer test....how nice... I don't want one.... I have a doctor that would take care of that stuff... but, thru the entire visit, I was reminded that I NEEDED to have the test done... the attendants, the doctor, the receptionist, all had their say about it... I told them no the first time they asked!!!... why continue?.... that should have given me a clue, ya know?......

since then, I've gotten back the money I paid (*that my ins. didn't cover) but they DIDN"T cancel the claim like they're supposed to....now I'm going to have to fight to get it refunded to the Insurance office BEFORE I CAN GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!.... my ins only pays for dentures once in five years... so If I cannot get this taken care of SOON, I"m up a creek.... the original reason I went FOR new dentures is that my bottom plate broke!!... it's now been glued together TWICE and it' not going to last too much longer, ya know?.... I'm really ticked at this office and don't mind a bit being one to complain here... and, one more thing.... I did send them emails.... two of them... both returned as "undeliverable''.... what's that tell you??????.....

Old 08-11-2007, 07:22 AM

Go to the Dental Society. They can help.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 12,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
We go to Harmony Dental Spa in Cary (yes we drive from Clayton). They are considered holistic and do not use amalgram fillings as well as have advanced technology and amazingly friendly and courteous service!

harmony

Lauren
Be wary of any dentist who considers themselves "holistic." And be wary of any dentist who claims to use composite (tooth colored) fillings for the health benefits. They look nice, they are reasonably durable, and it's a good material. But, they aren't anywhere near as durable as amalgam, and there are no health benefits. They are more expensive which usually works in the dentists favor, and will eventually require replacement. Also, please be specific about "advanced technology." That generic term raises a lot of red flags, as it usually means "unproven."

Good luck with your dentist search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary