Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 24,207 times

Advertisements

I've read many peoples blogs stating how boring Cary is for single people. I would just like to understand why. I currently live in Miami. I hate almost everything about it (except the beach). Horrible traffic...entirely spanish speaking..absoultely no topography...no trees and parks...no seasons.

I am 31, going through a divorce and decided I no longer have to stay here. I've been wanting to move for years and now I finally am! I have my heart set on the weston area of Cary. I love to run and fell in love with the trails of Crabtree park and Umstead state park. I'm looking forward to all the hiking I will do with my dog. Problem is...that's all i've really thought of. I love the outdoors, but will be moving completely by myself..not knowing a soul. I am also leaving a very high paying job, which makes me a little nervous, but I just know I can't stay in Miami any longer. I've always known that.

So tell me...will I be able to meet other single 30 somethings to spend time with? Is there other things to do other than outdoorsy type things? All those "Cary is boring" blogs have made me nervous. Should I consider Raleigh? I'm just skeptical because then I'm back in the city life, which I'm desperately trying to escape. Oh yeah, and I don' have a job yet..HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 12:03 AM

12 posts, read 102,033 times
I live in Cary and go out in Raleigh,downtown raleigh is only 10 min drive from weston if not less. Cary is a better place to live than Raleigh is.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:06 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
You will be able to meet other singles.
The RTP attracts young professionals in droves.
The area you are considering is near the RTP, and easy access to Raleigh or Durham.
As far as "boring" goes, if you are reasonably self-sufficient and motivated, it won't be an issue. It sounds like you are able to find what you like, and don't wait for it to come to you.
Yes, you will end up running to Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill from time to time for entertainment, but I think you will find anywhere in the area a great place to live.
Now if you move to utter suburbia, where the main draw is good schools, with a play set in every yard, you just might not be in a neighborhood with lots of singles activities.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrodriguez View Post
I've read many peoples blogs stating how boring Cary is for single people. I would just like to understand why. I currently live in Miami. I hate almost everything about it (except the beach). Horrible traffic...entirely spanish speaking..absoultely no topography...no trees and parks...no seasons.

I am 31, going through a divorce and decided I no longer have to stay here. I've been wanting to move for years and now I finally am! I have my heart set on the weston area of Cary. I love to run and fell in love with the trails of Crabtree park and Umstead state park. I'm looking forward to all the hiking I will do with my dog. Problem is...that's all i've really thought of. I love the outdoors, but will be moving completely by myself..not knowing a soul. I am also leaving a very high paying job, which makes me a little nervous, but I just know I can't stay in Miami any longer. I've always known that.

So tell me...will I be able to meet other single 30 somethings to spend time with? Is there other things to do other than outdoorsy type things? All those "Cary is boring" blogs have made me nervous. Should I consider Raleigh? I'm just skeptical because then I'm back in the city life, which I'm desperately trying to escape. Oh yeah, and I don' have a job yet..HELP!
If you haven't spent time around both Raleigh and Cary, I'd encourage you to do so. Raleigh is a "city," but nothing like a big city in the way Miami is. Your best bet no matter what would probably be to rent somewhere for a while and figure out from there what's the best and right fit for you!

Old 04-11-2007, 10:19 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrodriguez View Post

Way to go! I moved from Miami to Raleigh last June to get away from it as well, and find a pleasant place to live and make friends.

I think you might be happier in Raleigh, since it has a little bit of everything. From what I can tell, Cary is definitely more family oriented and more suburban; however, while Raleigh is a city, it is nothing like Miami, it's not crowded, people are friendly, there are lots of natural areas, and no traffic (at least not what we consider traffic). There are plenty of parks (ie. Umstead State Park) nearby that are easy to get to for the activities you enjoy, and there is also some nightlife and a singles population of 30 somethings. People are a lot less judgemental here (at least it seems that way so far), and you can actually go out and have fun instead of having people examine your social status.

As far as jobs go, it depends on what field you're looking at. I personally recommend having a job when you get here unless you have enough savings to carry you for a few months. As far as leaving a high paying job goes, in my opinion, no amount of money in the world can make up for a horrible living environment.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:42 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
I live in Cary, but very close to Raleigh. Cary itself is pretty boring really, but that's why we moved here. It's just slower, there is hardly any night life and is generally more family oriented.
BUT, from my house, it's only a 10 minute drive to downtown Raleigh, so I think you could easily live in Cary but still be in the Raleigh singles scene.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:36 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,805 times
To the OP, as you probably know Cary is a suburb, a nice place to lay your head, but as most suburbs, it ain't party central.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:25 PM

227 posts, read 728,217 times
Default Left Miami also

My husband and I recently finished a year in Argentina after getting out of Miami and decided to come to NC instead of returning to Miami for many of the reasons you listed. We used to live in Bayside and also in Surfside.

Although I can't comment on living in Cary specifically, I do know people who do and find it just fine if you want a laid back life. But so many things are easily accessed in that area that I think you would do fine either way. I don't know where you were living in Miami, but I can bet Raleigh will be more "city" than Miami was since as all of us South Floridians know, Miami really isn't a city in the real sense of the word.

There are lots of singles and a LOT more activities to do here.

I think you will do fine here and you will undoubtedly have less trouble with finding a new job than most people do in Miami. Are you bilingual? If you are then you will be more marketable.

We just returned from a couple of days in Miami and although like you we love the beaches, we were really happy to get back to the green landscape and the friendly people.

Feel free to pm me if you want to chat more.

Laura

Old 09-20-2007, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 19,130 times
You like mountains? Turn left and drive 4 hours to the best part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. You like the beach. Turn right and go 2 hours to Wrightsville Beach. Like trees, peace and quiet, convenience? Bring your pillow to Cary and stay awhile!

Old 09-20-2007, 03:14 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
If you like to get out and be active, you could do a lot worse that being right next to Lake Crabtree and Umstead. I'd encourage you to join some local groups and meet people. Lots of running and cycling groups, if that is of interest. Lots of Singles at the various gyms in Cary. When I was single, meeting a girl at a gym in Cary was easier than meeting one at a nightclub.

You also would have a pretty easy drive into the happening sections of Raleigh like Glenwood South. The bar at Bonefish seems to be fairly popular (corner of Weston and Harrison).

You might also check out around Shelley Lake in Raleigh. Nice trail around the lake and connects to an extensive Greenway system (should hook up with Umstead soon, iirc). This would be close to North Hills Mall which has a lot going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary