Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 07:30 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if post meeting they provided an update on the search for the super?

There's a name I'd love to throw into the pot, the gentleman from Harlem and the Children's Zone, Geofrey Canada. He very impressive and has had remarkable result in Harlem. This man is a national treasure! However, he in very independent, creative, highly intelligent and contrarian. His way of doing things and the board could be like oil and water. I know that his project is smaller than WCPSS but I believe he could do a wonderful job.

Here's a link to his zone, BTW, 100% of his 3rd graders were at/above grade level on math! See his site for other interesting stats. Harlem Children's Zone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 AM

240 posts, read 627,802 times
Let's give it a break. We all know where the poorer schools are and that isn't going to change. If you don't want your kid to go to one of them move, or apply at a magnet, or save up for private school. This is not a race issue. How much does it cost the county to run those buses all over the place? I don't know about you but I grew up riding my bike to school because the school was 1 mile away, and you know what I got exercise and learned some independence as a result. When I wasn't old enough one of my parents would drop me off at school, I know that is a novel idea these days. Rev. Barber (who looks like the Penguin) needs to refocus his efforts on truly helping his community. How come I don't see him talking about this poor girl who just got killed in Johnston County? No outcry for the abuse she faced??? Why would that be REVEREND? I guess there's no race card for him to capitalize on with that one. Bottom line is the board is running a business. They are in the business of educating and they have a budget to meet. In these times of poor economic performance everyone has to find a way to make things work, get out of the way and let that happen. Who knows this change might actually get kids out of the house playing outside and having social interaction so that they can evolve as individuals. Or we can teach them that the school board doesn't care about you because of your color and they want you to go to poor schools. Like I said, as a parent make a choice. If you feel like you or your kids will be victims do something about it. Stop asking everyone else to fix your situation. Protesting at 10am on a work day isn't setting a good example for your kids. Saving the necessary money to live in a better area or put your kid(s) through school is. So what will it be, more grandstanding or action?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraunch View Post
Let's give it a break. We all know where the poorer schools are and that isn't going to change. If you don't want your kid to go to one of them move, or apply at a magnet, or save up for private school. This is not a race issue. How much does it cost the county to run those buses all over the place? I don't know about you but I grew up riding my bike to school because the school was 1 mile away, and you know what I got exercise and learned some independence as a result. When I wasn't old enough one of my parents would drop me off at school, I know that is a novel idea these days. Rev. Barber (who looks like the Penguin) needs to refocus his efforts on truly helping his community. How come I don't see him talking about this poor girl who just got killed in Johnston County? No outcry for the abuse she faced??? Why would that be REVEREND? I guess there's no race card for him to capitalize on with that one. Bottom line is the board is running a business. They are in the business of educating and they have a budget to meet. In these times of poor economic performance everyone has to find a way to make things work, get out of the way and let that happen. Who knows this change might actually get kids out of the house playing outside and having social interaction so that they can evolve as individuals. Or we can teach them that the school board doesn't care about you because of your color and they want you to go to poor schools. Like I said, as a parent make a choice. If you feel like you or your kids will be victims do something about it. Stop asking everyone else to fix your situation. Protesting at 10am on a work day isn't setting a good example for your kids. Saving the necessary money to live in a better area or put your kid(s) through school is. So what will it be, more grandstanding or action?
Civil disobedience is action. A review of the history of the south will show that.
http://www.answers.com/topic/civil-disobedience
n.
Refusal to obey civil laws in an effort to induce change in governmental policy or legislation, characterized by the use of passive resistance or other nonviolent means.

You may not like but then those who are the target of usually don't! The comments of the board chair are not historically the way to defuse but usually result in a wider campaign. When you revisit history and open Pandora's Box you need to be prepared to repeat history. Hopefully they were since it appears they have.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 AM

240 posts, read 627,802 times
You really think this is going to be like the civil rights movement? Give me a break! I think this is a great opportunity for us to figure out why these "POOR" schools exist? Is it because all the people that live near them are doctors and lawyers that just can't seem to find work?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 AM

838 posts, read 2,525,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
The lack of understanding the issues is astounding, and these guys will make matters much worse by fixing the wrong problem and failing to address the real problem.
It's been like this for many years and there is no solution in sight. Voting these days has turned into picking the lesser of two evils.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraunch View Post
You really think this is going to be like the civil rights movement? Give me a break! I think this is a great opportunity for us to figure out why these "POOR" schools exist? Is it because all the people that live near them are doctors and lawyers that just can't seem to find work?
Hopefully that is what it will eventually be about. However I hope you can also understand that when the new board members were financed by the Republican party and some show open and public Tea Party allegiance in connection with their board assignment, the potential for it to become something else is considerable. What better local venue to push back against the Tea Party movement than the policies of the current Wake school board. As far as it being like the civil rights movement, some might say that has already started.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Has anybody heard the word outside agitators used? That becomes another red flag.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I have read your post and come up with a couple of thoughts. First what sticks out in my mind is that you are Africa American and live in an upscale Cary neighborhood. I can really identify with that. What I sense is that yes your affluent community is integrated with regards to ethnicity but is it with regards to income? Isn't this all really about economic integration as the old board claimed? Perhaps part of the reason the reform got off track is a result of a few supporters saying don't sugar coat it this is about RACE and forced integration. Perhaps they were very wrong and a major reason why this has become what it is! Are you concerned about negative peer pressure for your kids? Is that from kids of a different economic or racial background? Perhaps you aren't worried about negative peer pressure. Just wondering!
Well-I guess I'll clarify.
I'm a white male, registered independent, voted for Obama, and support 1000% what the new board is doing. i think the Tea Party is a joke. Call me a walking contradiction.

My wife (also white) works for a company with 7 employees . She is the ONLY one on the payroll that is NOT African American.

My "upscale Cary neighborhood" is FAR more integrated than you might think. The four houses closest to mine contain two hispanic families, one African American family, and one white family. All of our kids play together. All of our homes are valued within 10% of one another.

I get the feeling that outsiders think that people in neighborhoods like mine sit around discussing how to keep the "wrong element" out of our kids' classrooms, but the truth is the "wrong element" is available in every color of the rainbow.

Our neighborhood mobilized to support the new board before the election because the old system was not working.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I'm a white male, registered independent, voted for Obama, and support 1000% what the new board is doing. i think the Tea Party is a joke. Call me a walking contradiction.

My wife (also white) works for a company with 7 employees . She is the ONLY one on the payroll that is NOT African American.

My "upscale Cary neighborhood" is FAR more integrated than you might think. The four houses closest to mine contain two hispanic families, one African American family, and one white family. All of our kids play together. All of our homes are valued within 10% of one another.

I get the feeling that outsiders think that people in neighborhoods like mine sit around discussing how to keep the "wrong element" out of our kids' classrooms, but the truth is the "wrong element" is available in every color of the rainbow.

Our neighborhood mobilized to support the new board before the election because the old system was not working.
Interesting and thanks for the info. The challenge for the school board will be to keep supporters like you as the issues move from busing for diversity to the ton of other things they will have to deal with. I understand your position far more than you can possibly imagine. YOUR position to my thinking is very valid and in a one on one conversation we would probably agree on a ton of things. Part of the problem is the Tea Party and the Republican Party should have had nothing to do with the events leading up to where we are today. That is what has created much of the issue.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

I haven't read all the responses, but wanted to chime in on this post. I am a member of WSCA, the group that helped elect the new board members. I've always considered myself a Democrat (not registered), voted for Obama (and every other Dem pres candidate since age 18), and also support the direction the new board is taking. I may not agree with every decision they make, but I agree with the overall direction.

I agree that people stereotype 'upscale neighborhoods' in Cary and North Raleigh. When you really start to meet people and really take a look at some of the neighborhoods you get a very different picture. Reality doesn't sell newspapers and boost TV news ratings and it's unfortunate that most of us only see the picture that the media gives us.

I've learned a lot in the past 2 years working on the school board election/school issues. I encourage everybody to greet people with an open mind. Find out what they really think instead of just assuming. Ask for clarification if something doesn't sound right--many times people may not know the right words to express what they're thinking. Again, ask instead of assuming. The vast majority of us agree on more than we disagree on when it comes to the school issues. We just have to find the common ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary