Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:25 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times

Advertisements

About once a month, I decide it's time to leave Time Warner.

I haven't left them yet, and have been with them since 2001. Sadly, there has not been much competition for them in the Cary area. I'm not big into DirectTV's offering, and was content to stay with Time Warner, even though I always had a litany of complaints.

I received some marketing info from AT&T regarding their Uverse offering. Is anyone using this service for their cable TV? The prices seem really competitive (for me, about $49 a month cheaper than TW), and they lock the rate for 1 year. They are just rolling out their service in the Cary area, but I'm willing to bet they gain some customers from TW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 03:51 PM

126 posts, read 314,055 times
I signed up for AT&T phone/DSL today - I have Directv already. I used DSL (not AT&T - wasn't available) for 5 yrs in the Brevard area before moving here and it was always stable - I hear of lots of service interruptions with cable so I wanted to continue with DSL. I hope I made the right choice...

Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Yes, I have it, got it earlier this yr. I was with TWC for years. The transition to AT&T was a piece of cake!

When I had TWC come set me up (originally) for cable and RR/earthlink, it was a nightmare of catastropic proportions. AT&T has been a dream!

I've not had any problems with service loss or anything. i like having digital phone. I was going to dump the home phone but it's so cheap with them I decided to keep it.

My laptop runs Vista which was the only issue. They had spend some time readying it, maybe 1/2 hr? They were in and out in 1.5 hrs? Oh, and their system is fairly intuitive.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:54 PM

143 posts, read 416,904 times
I can't yet get it where I am, but have heard nothing but good things from all my friends who have it.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:09 PM

35 posts, read 87,306 times
There are lots of knowledgeable folks on the AVSForum. The forum is for Audio-Video, but they get into Internet related topics. Here is a link to the last page for the Raleigh area

Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 442 - AVS Forum

Old 07-20-2010, 06:25 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
I have uverse in Cary, and while it's better than Time-Warner in many ways, it's not perfect. HD picture quality isn't as good as cable, and it's especially noticible on sports. This is a common complaint about uverse on many forums. Another occasional problem is missed recordings on the DVR, but if you're coming from Time-Warner, then you're used to this and uverse isn't as bad (but it can still be frustrating).

On the plus side, the uverse boxes NEVER crash/reboot, always respond to the remote control, and the internet is rock-solid reliable. The DVR can be programmed from any internet computer (so you can schedule recordings while you're not at home) and you can watch recorded shows from any TV in the house.

I definitely recommend uverse over time-warner but don't expect uverse to be perfect because it isn't. Let me know if you have other questions and I'm happy to answer them.

By the way, AT&T has a referral program for new customers and if you're willing to give me your contact info before you order, I would split the referral bonus with you. The bonus can be up to $150 so DM me if you're interested in that.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:06 PM

321 posts, read 880,036 times
I'm wondering if missed recordings on the DVR isn't operator error. I've had their DVRs since they came out and have NEVER missed one recording.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:35 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
I'm wondering if missed recordings on the DVR isn't operator error. I've had their DVRs since they came out and have NEVER missed one recording.
It's not user error but I'm glad that you don't have any problems. I'll use the guide to record a program that's supposed to start in a few hours, and confirm that the guide shows it's going to record and then look in scheduled recordings to see it there too. Then leave the house and come back later and there's no recording. I've also had it record the first few minutes of an hour show and then stop recording on its own. It's very rare and I think this has happened maybe 3 or 4 times in a year, but still frustrating. And still better than TWC where missed recordings happen WAY more often.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I have U verse in Cary and LOVE IT. I would not go back to TWC! My DVR has also never missed a recording in the year we've had it.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:08 AM

75 posts, read 253,360 times
I have it. Read about my experience here: AT&T U-VERSE PT. 2 – THE INSTALL & THOUGHTS

I hope its not too technical.

Summary: I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary