Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:34 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,878,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclass View Post
The latest proposal - sample zones :
WCPSS:Student Assignment Committee Receives First Sample Zone Maps
They are seeking public feedback on the wcpss site.
Does anyone have any comments about these maps?

It says they are searchable, or can be zoomed, I was unable to do this. Anyone else have any success?

Why are there no streets or markers for reference? So far, unless I missed something in the instructions, the map doesn't show me which schools my child will be zoned for - I understand this is a "sample/proposal", and I was able to see the schools in the general area. However, I am in the mid area of two zones and cannot determine where I'd fall.

Can anyone get me straight on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:27 AM

345 posts, read 1,061,070 times
They are rather vague, aren't they? I watched a portion of the meeting, and apparently they intend to make sure that the zones are economically diverse as well (that sounds new, doesn't it?), so the data for the zones is incomplete? Maybe someone else can answer that. I wouldn't waste a lot of energy on them just yet.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,106,471 times
The school board is idiotic to approve these maps without any identifying location. They are worthless.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:03 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,878,268 times
I agree with you all on this. I am sick today, thought I was so out of it that I'd missed something.

If I'd have presented this to my boss as a proposal, she'd have proposed I find a new job! Just when I thought we'd turned a corner, more of the same old rubbish!

I'm happy to take this back if I've missed something...in this case I'd rather be wrong.

They're asking for feedback. How can we comment on it, it's useless! And what's with the "delicate shades of lavender" side by side? I almost went blind trying to see if I am in the Knightdale or E. Raleigh zone.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 AM

I think the only zone they're really concerned about is Garner, since that is where Mr. T's kids go. LOL!

Old 07-31-2010, 03:16 PM

906 posts, read 2,383,603 times
I was able to zoom in and out just fine. Not sure why you're having a problem.

These are just very preliminary maps. They're seeking comments to help decide which map makes the most sense to work with. I imagine that they are seeking comments because they want to make sure they're getting enough perpectives on it. Even though there is a rep from each BOE district, it's nearly impossible for any one person to know the details of every part of their district. Like maybe a boundary line doesn't make sense because although it appears one way on a map, it doesn't reflect what is really going on.

There will be more opportunities to comment as the plan progresses. I agree that it's hard to tell what is happening without streets. Not sure why staff didn't provide any maps with at least major streets labeled.

Maybe send an email to Tedesco and Growth Management asking for different shading? Or at least letting them know it's difficult to read?

Old 07-31-2010, 03:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,304,636 times
I have to say, this idea of controlled choice does seem to hold some promise in terms of being a compromise that provides relief to both sides. We shall see how it develops, but I am encouraged by some of the latest developments.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:31 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,106,471 times
It's a PDF file, of course you can enlarge it to see it -- but it's just more colorful shapes and stars with no identifying streets on it. What good is zooming in to see that?

The ruling school board is ridiculous for issuing such maps and asking for feedback. How about giving us a MAP instead of providing us with a board game called, "GUESS THAT ZONE!"

I've already provided my feedback to the board. I wish everyone else would, too, and ask them to give us a map that made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
I was able to zoom in and out just fine. Not sure why you're having a problem.

These are just very preliminary maps. They're seeking comments to help decide which map makes the most sense to work with. I imagine that they are seeking comments because they want to make sure they're getting enough perpectives on it. Even though there is a rep from each BOE district, it's nearly impossible for any one person to know the details of every part of their district. Like maybe a boundary line doesn't make sense because although it appears one way on a map, it doesn't reflect what is really going on.

There will be more opportunities to comment as the plan progresses. I agree that it's hard to tell what is happening without streets. Not sure why staff didn't provide any maps with at least major streets labeled.

Maybe send an email to Tedesco and Growth Management asking for different shading? Or at least letting them know it's difficult to read?

Old 07-31-2010, 03:33 PM

I was too, NRG, until I started wondering about the evaporation of the cost savings on busing, when there will busing all over the zones to accomodate these "choices", or denied choices. I just don't see how it's going to be any different than what we have now...which is okay, I wasn't opposed to busing. I just hate to see people following "leaders" who promise them the moon, and manipulate a few words to make it seem as if they are actually doing something positive. Calling a node a zone is not making a great deal of change. Busing based on choice (or denial of choice) does not eliminate busing. SSDD as far as I can tell.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:45 PM

280 posts, read 741,736 times
Its hard to get anything out of these sample plans for now - perhaps if we had access to the presentation that went with these maps it would make a little more sense. I dont expect the board to come up with a great plan the first time around but this is just raising more questions than it answers. I wrote so in the comments section as well hopefully they will address it soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary