Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times

Advertisements

I had a similar problem. I kept planting the same shubbery at the end of my driveway and wondering why it kept dying. I even had a landscaper come out and test the soil. Lo and behold, one early morning I saw the lady down the street walking her huge dog on my front lawn. She had a poop bag in her hand but that didn't stop the dog from peeing on the shrubs. I actually walked outside and as she tried to dash away, called to her and told her that the next time the shrubs died, I would send her a bill!

I notice now when I see her, she walks her dog across the street, on that neighbor's lawn.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I had a similar problem. I kept planting the same shubbery at the end of my driveway and wondering why it kept dying. I even had a landscaper come out and test the soil. Lo and behold, one early morning I saw the lady down the street walking her huge dog on my front lawn. She had a poop bag in her hand but that didn't stop the dog from peeing on the shrubs. I actually walked outside and as she tried to dash away, called to her and told her that the next time the shrubs died, I would send her a bill!

I notice now when I see her, she walks her dog across the street, on that neighbor's lawn.

Vicki
People who behave badly will often react to being told what they're doing is wrong.

But we've decided it's more polite to avoid conflict or point this stuff out.

Once you outline that bad behavior will not be tolerated, it's amazing how many times people fall into line.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
Do you have a homeowner's association? That would be my first suggestion.

Otherwise I just suggest knocking on his door and bringing it up in a friendly "Hey, you probably didn't realize but that's a garden where I grow food" type of way.

We actually became really good friends with our neighbors after I knocked on their door to ask them to have their friends stop driving through my front lawn.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,407 times
Thanks so much everyone! I'd love to resolve it in friendly way, definitely NOT looking to start a neighbor war ....though he lives in building with several apartments so I'm not sure which door is his...been keeping a real close eye out hoping I can catch up with him to introduce myself and chat...No HOA and a fence is not in my budget right now (just bought the house a few months ago) but I just rigged a motion detector camera (out of curiosity and in case it comes down to complaint with the town). Also considering motion-detector sprinkler....LOVE the yucca idea lol but probably wouldn't work for my space. REALLY appreciate the feedback!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:08 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vella55 View Post
Thanks so much everyone! I'd love to resolve it in friendly way, definitely NOT looking to start a neighbor war ....though he lives in building with several apartments so I'm not sure which door is his...been keeping a real close eye out hoping I can catch up with him to introduce myself and chat...No HOA and a fence is not in my budget right now (just bought the house a few months ago) but I just rigged a motion detector camera (out of curiosity and in case it comes down to complaint with the town). Also considering motion-detector sprinkler....LOVE the yucca idea lol but probably wouldn't work for my space. REALLY appreciate the feedback!
I'm glad to hear this reasonable approach.

Someone in our neighborhood put up a "No Pets Allowed" sign as a response to a nearby neighbor who has a habit of letting his dog out off-leash (and while he's a reasonably decent listener of a dog, he gets distracted and wanders). While I understand the intentions and frustrations of the sign-poster, it's so passive-aggressive to post something like that without just crossing the darn road and talking to your neighbor. I admit I don't know their history, but I do know that dogs can't read.

I have 3 dogs and I try my very best to keep them from peeing on obvious plantings when we're out for a walk. Sometimes it's REALLY hard, though, especially when another dog has already marked that territory. I always clean up the poop, and often walk home with 5 bags of it, but aside from walking in the road, I don't know how to keep my dogs from urinating on a lawn here and there. Here's something, though: there are squirrels, deer, foxes, and all sorts of other wild creatures urinating all over the place. We need to make our peace with pee.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:51 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Years back I had a neighbor who let her dog poop on my lawn. I confronted her and told her if she didn't stop that I would take a dump on her lawn. I never saw her again.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Motion detector sprinkler would be pretty hilarious

It's so revolting that the dog pees on your raspberry bushes. I'll never understand people like that. Hope it gets resolved - sounds like the dog lives outside 100% of the time which 100% bugs me to no end.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 AM

376 posts, read 1,062,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
...put the sprinkler over where the man walks his dog to do the dog business on your property and let 'er rip when they get over near it.
Excellent idea! Seriously, that would be a great idea and so easy to do! Be sure to get THAT on film and post it here too... see that sucker run!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:00 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
Excellent idea! Seriously, that would be a great idea and so easy to do! Be sure to get THAT on film and post it here too... see that sucker run!
I love this idea! I'd almost be willing to get up early to do this!

Vicki

Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
I disagree with all who say the best bet is to go to the HOA. The HOA is not for neighbor-to-neighbor conflicts. The manager can't confirm what's happening. All that happens is the manager tries to be helpful so she sends the neighbor a letter advising them not to let their dog off the leash/ to pick up after their pets or whatnot. Then the dog owner calls and says, "I never do that! You have me mixed up with someone. Prove it!" or "My neighbor is just picking on me and lying, and besides, she leaves trash on the side of the home and it's bothering me- send HER a letter!" And thus, your HOA rep is now in the middle of a fight that can't be won on a problem that is best handled between the two of you and no one is happy and everyone's time is wasted.

My best advice is to knock on his door and be friendly, but firm. If that doesn't work, I am a big advocate of fences.

For the OP specifically, I'd recommend bringing him a jar of homemade raspberry jam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary