Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 07:13 PM

12 posts, read 37,983 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to Triad/Triangle area. Besides heading to the coast for ocean kayaking or the mountains to the west, where are the local places where folks go to kayak in the Piedmont?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Are you looking for flatwater or whitewater?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:52 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,152 times
There was actually a nice article in the Herald this morning about folks who kayak @ Eno park in North Durham. Maybe that would be an area for you to check out?

Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Also check out that kayaking place on Falls of Neuse Road near the northern extents of Raleigh. Here is there website I went a couple of years ago it was a lot of fun. www.paddlecreeknc.com/

Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Not in the Triangle area, but the National Whitewater Center is just down I85 in Charlotte. If you're very experienced, I would assume it is not that great, but it does seem pretty impressive to me (not a paddler).

Most of the stuff around our area is going to be flat water. There may be a rapid or two around, but you'd need to go a few hours west to get to some serious water, I think.

The Cape Fear and the Haw have some interesting stuff. Not flat, but not extreme either....

(To put it in perspective, I'm not a paddler, but I mountainbike, and a LOT of my friends paddle, so I just repeat what they have said, and/or what I have seen.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 AM

12 posts, read 37,983 times
My husband prefers flat water, toot68. So a quiet lake or river suits him just fine. Feel free to make suggestions. Perhaps when he retires he'll be more adventuresome.

Taynxtlvl, looks like he should check with the folks at Paddle Creek. I'm sure they can steer him right.

Thanks to you to Bmateo for sharing what you've learned from your friends. Maybe my husband will check out the Whitewater Center when he's ready to try the more serious water.

We appreciate your comments. It appears that most of the lakes in the Triangle are resevoirs. Do they have launch area and allow paddling?

We're looking forward to our move.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
For flatwater, the Beaverdam Lake section of Falls Lake is outstanding. I also enjoyed paddling in the Lower and Upper Barton Creek basins on Falls Lake.

You can always take your kayak to the boat ramps, but there are plenty of spots, often near bridges, where you can park on the side of the road and carry your boat to the water's edge.

About 1-1/2 hours east of Raleigh is Williamston, where you'll find the Roanoke River and some really nice flatwater paddle trails.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:47 AM

357 posts, read 1,383,011 times
I second the Beaverdam Lake recommendation above. We live pretty close to there and kayak there often. It's very peaceful and there is a nice loading/unloading area located adjacent to Old Weaver Trail.

There are also some very scenic sections of Jordan Lake near the Robeson Creek access area where there are a lot of bald eagle sightings.

Another great place is the Eno River - there is a launch not too far off of the Red Mill Rd. exit of I85 near Durham. It's a nice paddle down the river and it empties into the upper section of Falls Lake.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:05 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
There are a bunch of meetup groups that you could
google.. I joined one in hopes of finding friends to kayak with and new spots..

If you have trouble finding Meetup group info let me know..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary