Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 04:06 PM

406 posts, read 787,697 times

Advertisements

I have see some job listings in Tampa FL; has anyone lived in both (or familiar enough with both) to help me compare the two (I've only been to FL on vacation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:49 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,480 times
If you dislike traffic, bugs, or hot weather... Tampa has all those things way worse than here.
On the other hand, you can get some crazy deals on houses in Tampa right now.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:30 AM

50 posts, read 151,856 times
Cost of living, housing ect is good in Florida in general..With that being said, That might be only positive..Crime is going up every year in large numbers due to all illegal immigrants coming in through the south and then lots of Families from up north (NY) moving down who are not the greatest people ever. The heat gets very rough on some people..90+ for nearly 7-8 months plus lots of rain in summer due to hurricanes and storms from the Gulf are rough...I live in Tampa and there is alot to do, but the crime increase and weather are a little to much for me..I have been here 8 years

Old 08-14-2010, 06:24 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,956 times
Ok so enlightening lesson for today from BigWyche16 is:

1) Illegal immigrants come to Florida to commit crimes.
2) Northerners are crappy people.
Wow. Thanks.

To the op, I would suggest checking out their city-data page and comparing it to ours. That may give you a good comparison of all the demographical info, at least.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,127 times
OK, I've spent enough time in Raleigh over the last 6 yrs and have lived in Tampa for 14 yrs to make a very good assessment. I will try and make this as bullet point/laser as possible. Raleigh to Tampa are apples to bowling balls. Very different. Also, what type of jobs are you applying for.
Raleigh
1. A very new city. majority of growth is within the last 30 yrs.
2. LL Bean meets Banana republic meets Stepford wifes.
3. Above average salaries in the IT industry, research triangle park
4. Duke, UNC Wakeforest schools.
5. smaller overall MSA
6. College Basketball
7. I will guess lower crime.
8. 4 seasons, 3 hrs to mountains, 4hrs to beaches
9. Very strong development plan
10. Less great food options.
11. More stable economic community

Tampa
1. Old city - Gasparilla, cigar factory
2. You name the culture, it is here.
3. More service work industries
4. USF, UT
5. MacDill Air Force Base and Central Command
6. Bucs, Bulls, Lightening, Rays, Storm Baseball spring training EVERYWHERE!
7. Crime, I will guess more, it is a bigger city.
8. The food options are awesome.
9. Urban sprawl with attempts for major urban development. Major over development (They keep trying. St Pete is better)
10. Florida with its ups and down still always has opportunities.
11. Florida.... everyone is on vacation.
12. Beaches, beaches, beaches... boating...
13. 6 months of HOT HOT weather. If I had to wear a suit and tie everyday, I couldn't do it.

These communities are apples to bowling balls. I would do some more research before jumping to either location.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
UNC Wake Forest? What is that? If you meant a comma after UNC, Wake Forest University is still not in the Triangle. It used to be, hence its name. It's now in Winston-Salem, another whole area of the state.

The beach is 2 hours from Raleigh. Mountains are 4 hours away.

IT jobs have been hard hit here in the recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenU View Post
OK, I've spent enough time in Raleigh over the last 6 yrs and have lived in Tampa for 14 yrs to make a very good assessment. I will try and make this as bullet point/laser as possible. Raleigh to Tampa are apples to bowling balls. Very different. Also, what type of jobs are you applying for.
Raleigh
1. A very new city. majority of growth is within the last 30 yrs.
2. LL Bean meets Banana republic meets Stepford wifes.
3. Above average salaries in the IT industry, research triangle park
4. Duke, UNC Wakeforest schools.
5. smaller overall MSA
6. College Basketball
7. I will guess lower crime.
8. 4 seasons, 3 hrs to mountains, 4hrs to beaches
9. Very strong development plan
10. Less great food options.
11. More stable economic community

Tampa
1. Old city - Gasparilla, cigar factory
2. You name the culture, it is here.
3. More service work industries
4. USF, UT
5. MacDill Air Force Base and Central Command
6. Bucs, Bulls, Lightening, Rays, Storm Baseball spring training EVERYWHERE!
7. Crime, I will guess more, it is a bigger city.
8. The food options are awesome.
9. Urban sprawl with attempts for major urban development. Major over development (They keep trying. St Pete is better)
10. Florida with its ups and down still always has opportunities.
11. Florida.... everyone is on vacation.
12. Beaches, beaches, beaches... boating...
13. 6 months of HOT HOT weather. If I had to wear a suit and tie everyday, I couldn't do it.

These communities are apples to bowling balls. I would do some more research before jumping to either location.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 AM

50 posts, read 151,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Ok so enlightening lesson for today from BigWyche16 is:

1) Illegal immigrants come to Florida to commit crimes.
2) Northerners are crappy people.
Wow. Thanks.

To the op, I would suggest checking out their city-data page and comparing it to ours. That may give you a good comparison of all the demographical info, at least.

Love this...Sorry this answer was not all roses for ya..It does not benefit anyone on here to not put the truth when a question was asked..Tampa is a nice city with tons to do..Great places to eat, if you like the beach it's great, and they have plenty of sports...UIf you keep to urself like any other place you will be fine...But people want to know the negative things if they are moving somewhere so they know if they are willing to deal with them or not compared to their city...Tampa is very hot, and Florida in general has TONS AND TONS of illegla immigrants (Mexicans) that do bring TONS of problems into the area..They become victims of many crimes or committ illegal activity because they are not legal in first place...And Florida does have MANY people from up north that move to Florida for the lower cost of living...The new trend seems to be that a solid portion of them are not the greatest people on earth which just brings more crime..It is what it is....I can't say anything about NC b/c I am not from there but can def. give an honest opinion on Tampa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary