Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:04 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times

Advertisements

We are making the move in the next few months to Chapel Hill. I've lived in the DC area for over 20 years, so it is a big move for me. In many ways, it seems like a very similar place, but in other ways, probably different. I'm curious what those who lived in both places think. This is what I'm guessing based on my limited knowledge.

Similar:
Both highly educated areas
Both very transitional areas
Both East Coast
Both full of new housing and chain restaurants
Both left-leaning politically (CH anyway)

Different:
Triangle more southern than DC
Triangle less "important/big city" than DC
Triangle has less traffic - please, please please say this is true.
Triangle has milder winters - please, please, please say this is true.
Triangle not as developed (i.e. can get to a rural area much more quickly)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 07:42 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,612 times
All of the above is true. I grew up in the DC area and dread it when I'm back there.

Friendly people, wide open spaces, lower cost of living, still entertaining and filled with activity, less congestion...welcome to NC.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:46 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
I'd say it's all true, but it is possible to have a bad commute here even though there is technically "less traffic."

Old 08-11-2011, 11:27 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Generally most of what you imagine is true, but your statement about "a lot of chain restaurants" is kind of odd--is there a city ANYWHERE that does have ubiquitous chain restaurants anymore? That would not be what I'd say is defining characteristic of DC nor here. And, there are many, many locally-owned restaurants. Durham is getting itself "on the map" as a "Foodie town", for example.

Traffic will not be as bad as DC--that's true of about 99.9% of places, right?--but it is not deserted country roads, either. The massive and rapid influx of tens of thousands in a fairly short time has meant a profound increase in traffic that the roads can't keep up with. There are plenty of traffic jams, and in general, commutes tend to increase by about 1-2 minutes a year that I've seen. But, again, it's no DC, Atlanta, or other "traffic nightmare" city. [Insert obligatory statement by someone from one of those cities saying the traffic here is laughable. See for yourself] Actually Chapel Hill's traffic in most of the town shouldn't be that bad, due to the great public transportation (one thing you DIDN'T include on your list: The Triangle has really sucky public transportation compared to DC or any other large or even medium city, though Chapel Hill does the best job).

When you say "both East Coast", obviously both are geographically so, but are you talking more culturally? Generally folks refer to "east coast sensibility" in reference to places DC and north; NC is still culturally Southern in many ways, but with a lot of Northerners. Then again, I've always heard that DC is a "Southern city" too, so maybe they are similar in that regard.

Like DC, the exurbs and suburbs are growing like wildfire, but you can still find non-cookie-cutter or McMansion places, old (or course) or new.

SCHOOLS, if you have kids, will be much, MUCH better in Chapel Hill than in DC

Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Similar:
Both highly educated areas
Both very transitional areas
Both East Coast
Both full of new housing and chain restaurants
Both left-leaning politically (CH anyway)
If comparing just to Chapel Hill, I would probably only put your first and last items in the "similar" category. (And even the last one I'm guessing is a different kind of "liberal" in Chapel Hill than in DC.)

Old 08-12-2011, 09:17 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
As a word of warning, I have heard that the supposedly the economy has bounced back more quickly in DC than here in the triangle. Jobs may be more difficult to find. If you already have a job, then please feel free to ignore this.

On the plus side, housing is less expensive here than in the DC vicinity.

Winters are significantly milder (The big snowstorms that hit DC in 2010 were just rain here.) Summers are worse, but not that much worse - it's pretty hot and humid in DC too at this time of year. On a day where it's hot and humid in DC it's likely to be about two or three degrees hotter and just as humid here.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:28 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
If comparing just to Chapel Hill, I would probably only put your first and last items in the "similar" category.
You don't consider Chapel Hill to be on "The East Coast"?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 AM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
the triangle might have better (car) traffic, but no public transport. I find DC easier to get around.

i'd say the main difference is one of 'feel'. compared to a major world city like DC, the triangle feels like the middle of nowhere.

except maybe in durham, there are far fewer black people in the triangle. wherever you go, there are far fewer foreigners in the triangle than DC.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:30 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
The Triangle is obviously alot smaller and less populated than DC. There is alot less to do here than in DC. My mouth is salivating right now thinking about all of the great restaurants in DC that we do not have in the triangle. Next door neighbors lived in DC for 6 years and hated it. They said the traffic was terrible. They can "breathe" here.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:06 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
IMHO, there are very, very few locally owned restaurants compared to the Northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And, there are many, many locally-owned restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary