Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:26 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I should have know this ....today while playing the trombone in the Mall by the Museum one of Raleigh's finest informed me I couldn't collect tips there. Worst part, he said I could still play my "trumpet" ... just no tips.

Looks like I will be sticking with playing down at City Plaza to make my beer money!

If anybody has tips on other places that might be good for playing please let me know. I am also looking for places to play Christmas Carols this holiday season and am looking for suggestions. If you ever see me playing downtwon please feel free to stop and say hello!

Photo taken just before my run at the Museum Mall came to an End!

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 08-28-2010 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 10:47 AM

202 posts, read 229,591 times
Are you collecting tips for income or is it for charity? If for charity and you are registered, maybe you could still play there?

Do you play often and with other people or just solo?

Old 08-28-2010, 11:18 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Well... Does it sound like a trumpet when you play it???

Old 08-28-2010, 11:19 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times
That's a shame as I always enjoy the sound of buskers playing musical instruments when wondering around in cities. In fact many European cities see it as an attraction which cheers people up and the city authorities encourage muscians to play by issuing them permits. In London at popular busking locations musicians have 2 hour time slots to share the cash rather than one person hogging the lot. Maybe Raleigh should encourage musicians to play along Fayetteville Street to brighten things up and encourage more pedestrians

Old 08-28-2010, 12:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
cop was just jealous cause he can't play an instrument.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:36 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Yeah, sounds like some sort of permit is needed if you collect "donations". I think downtown needs the character of (NRG) oops, I mean, local musicians. Maybe Cameron Village will let you do it?

Old 08-28-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well... Does it sound like a trumpet when you play it???

I think it sounds more link a basson! J/K

Actually I do have a permit to play downtown. I can play in mnay spots including all up and down Fayetteville Street and in the City Plaza. The difference is the museum and the pedistrian mall are actually considered state property - something I failed to realize but understand now. The officer was nice enough about it, and am I allowed to play there. He said I couldn't collect tips though. Thats cool, I will just find another place to play. I just liked that spot becasue it is very busy with people coming and going to the museum. Its nice to have the foot traffic so you have an audience and I don't mind making a few bucks in the process.

At Christmas I donate the money I make to charity. Other times during the year I use the few bucks I make to help fund my little photographic explorations.

There are other spots I will continue to play at downtown, but I will miss this little spot.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:53 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times
hey how often do you play? would love for you to play at city plaza ...fayetteville st needs more entertainment and food vendors...

Old 08-28-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
hey how often do you play? would love for you to play at city plaza ...fayetteville st needs more entertainment and food vendors...
Every few weeks I try to go down on the weekend and play in the afternoon. Once the Holidays roll around I will be playing more often down at City Plaza. It really strats hopping there once the ice skating rink opens up!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:30 PM

202 posts, read 229,591 times
Let us know when you will be playing again. We can all come down and donate to the cause. An informal City Data meetup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary