Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:33 PM

308 posts, read 967,397 times

Advertisements

Before you kill me about my headline, here is why:

I live in Florida right now. Don't like the the weather much there, because I was raised in Germany and like it a little bit colder.
I was talking to a friend of mine here about moving to Raleigh area and he said that most people in NC are racists.

I would like to read your opinion about that if I would move there and would have facing problems with my accent.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
I'm sure you will find racists anywhere you go in life. That does not mean all people in an area are racists.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:42 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
When I first moved to TX from PA, a few of my uneducated friends asked me if I had to ride a horse to work. Sounds like your friend may be similar.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:43 PM

56 posts, read 109,038 times
Yeah ppl are .. but you find that in alot of places ....just more so in the south

Old 08-31-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
When I first moved to TX from PA, a few of my uneducated friends asked me if I had to ride a horse to work. Sounds like your friend may be similar.
I have been asked once what train does go to Germany. and if we have already washing machines. I answered "What is a washing machine"

Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksammon View Post
Yeah ppl are .. but you find that in alot of places ....just more so in the south
With south you mean south NC or south USA?

Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Racists are people who are willing to accept as true gross generalizations about a large population based upon the worst traits of a few members of that population. See, e.g., your friend.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:49 PM

297 posts, read 740,749 times
I'll wager that NC is no more racist than Florida, with some people in NC being more racist and some less racist than the people you are around now. It's the nature of things.

One thing's for sure, everyone in NC has some kind of accent, whether they want to admit it or not. I don't think your accent will cause anyone to blink, but you may be asked to repeat yourself a few times. I wouldn't take that personally since I'm a NC native and I still have to ask other NC natives to repeat themselves at times due to the accents. It's the nature of things.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD King View Post
With south you mean south NC or south USA?
"The South" means the Southern US. Tends to have more "racism" than other regions, but EVERY state, EVERY region has racist people and EVERY state has very open-minded people. Juding all the members of a state as being "racist" is just as much a generalization as judging all people of a certain race to be [whatever].

I'd suggest learning a little more about NC before making judgments. Visit here and see. You should never move to somewhere you are completely unfamliar with. Then you could see for yourself whether your friend's opinion is correct or not.

What has made you want to move to NC, if you know little about it? #1 on your list should be to come for a visit and make your own decisions.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOfThis View Post
I'll wager that NC is no more racist than Florida, with some people in NC being more racist and some less racist than the people you are around now. It's the nature of things.

One thing's for sure, everyone in NC has some kind of accent, whether they want to admit it or not. I don't think your accent will cause anyone to blink, but you may be asked to repeat yourself a few times. I wouldn't take that personally since I'm a NC native and I still have to ask other NC natives to repeat themselves at times due to the accents. It's the nature of things.
I don't care if I have to repeat myself as long the one doen't hate me for my accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary