Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:31 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times

Advertisements

Ok so the rules are different in every state. I see fireworks being sold everywhere, but is it one of those weird rules like "you can have them, but you just can do them" kind of thing? Can I light off bottle rockets and all the good stuff around my place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 05:43 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
NC Government Press Release

"Generally speaking, any firework device that explodes, spins, flies, jumps or leaves the ground in any way is illegal in North Carolina". "Firecrackers, ground spinners, roman candles, bottle rockets and mortars - these are all illegal".

June 28, 2007 -- Keep Your July 4th from Going Up in Smoke

Old 06-28-2007, 07:47 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
um, ok, but then why do I see fireworks being sold everywhere?

Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
things like sparklers are legal.
"The only legal fireworks are devices with 200 grams or less of chemical compound per device. Examples include sparklers, fountains, glow worms, snap pops and other similar novelty devices."

Old 06-28-2007, 08:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Most of them are fountations from what I've seen. Some are quite nice.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 10,243 times
why can't all them fireworks that go up in the air be legal in North Carolina because if South Carolina can have them than why can't we

Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago13 View Post
why can't all them fireworks that go up in the air be legal in North Carolina because if South Carolina can have them than why can't we
Because dumb people sometimes don't know that they're dumb.

I have very mixed emotions about consumer fireworks. I've been a fan of fireworks since I was 6. I've spent thousands of dollars on them, and enjoyed them very much.

I also read the list of fireworks accidents and deaths that is published every year by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. This report is a bit misleading, because if little junior soaks a tennis ball in gasoline and tries to launch it and burns himself, that is (for reasons that make no sense) considered a fireworks related injury. Remember the horrible NJ night club fire with Great White when some pyro set the roof on fire? A lot of people died. Those got lumped in whatever year that was.

But once you filter out that stuff, there are an awful lot of injuries that do occur, mainly to children. Ironically, the cheap stuff is the worst. Lots of stepping on spent sparklers. Lots of eye injuries from bottle rockets. Again, the report doesn't specify if these were from people having "bottle rocket wars", or if they were from completely unsupervised children or more legitimate accidents.

As a fan I can say that consumer fireworks HAVE gotten safer over the years. They tip over less, they blow out less, the fuses are slower and more predictable. I don't use bottle rockets anymore. There's just no reason to. They're unpredictable and go too high for a pretty display. I use multi-tube repeating cakes and mortars.

IF you follow the directions. IF you are over 18. IF you wear safety goggles and keep a hose and extinguisher ready. IF you are sober. IF you keep spectators at a safe distance consumer fireworks are actually very safe.

But that's a lot of 'IFs' and people seem to have a really hard time doing all of them, and none are really negotiable.

Are these products something we want to make available to the general public? I'm all for freedom, but there are a lot of morons out there.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:53 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
What you're seeing being sold here are very different from what you'd find in SC. They look pretty much the same externally, but they operate very differently.

As another poster has said, they are mainly "fountain" types. Very pretty, but they won't carry the warning "SHOOTS FLAMING BALLS" (I so want that T-Shirt).

Old 07-06-2011, 09:03 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
the fireworks you can buy IN NC are LEGAL. the ones you buy at south of the border in SC are not legal here (ok, many of them ARE, but many of them ARE NOT.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
To try and clarify a bit -

In the US we have a Federal law that separates professional and consumer fireworks. Anything with a 1.4G label is considered a consumer firework and legal in the US for non-licensed folks.

Now it get trickier - States and local governments can then set stricter laws in terms of what's legal. SC is more tolerant than NC, although I believe that in SC cities like Myrtle Beach still impose stricter ordinances (excuse the bad pun).

So you find States like NJ where its very conservative. NC is sorta in the middle and SC is fairly liberal. Sorta the opposite of the politics :-)

What you can buy in NC is typically legal in NC although "mistakes" are made. The local police departments often visit the tents to ensure compliance. The assortments I saw in BJs this year all appeared legal in NC.

To further confuse the innocent, it is perfectly legal for a fireworks dealer to sell a NC resident any consumer fireworks and even have them shipped to them (caveat - as an explosive, this requires the use of a motor freight carrier, no UPS or Fedex :-)) Now if you happen to light those 1.4G aerial shells then you're subject to a fine and imprisonment by NC law.

The post above by Arsbadmojo does a great job of noting the safety requirements. We were at a "local" N Raleigh neighborhood display last weekend that followed these to the letter. It was fun ...

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina