Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 07:46 AM

50 posts, read 252,741 times

Advertisements

I'm coming to visit after the 4th, and was hoping to check out the local flea markets. Antique & collectibles, not tube socks & t-shirts. I know there is a big antique show in Charlotte on the weekend, but not convinced I want to spend the time driving to Charlotte when I could be checking out more of the local flavor.

Any good local flea markets with a decent selection of antiques and vintage items?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 07:59 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP059 View Post
I'm coming to visit after the 4th, and was hoping to check out the local flea markets. Antique & collectibles, not tube socks & t-shirts. I know there is a big antique show in Charlotte on the weekend, but not convinced I want to spend the time driving to Charlotte when I could be checking out more of the local flavor.

Any good local flea markets with a decent selection of antiques and vintage items?
The Flea Market each weekend at the State Fair Grounds in Raleigh is the only way to go IMO. There is an indoor and outdoor portion. Lots of antiques to be found in both.

Pictures of the NC State Flea Market

Old 07-03-2007, 08:10 AM

161 posts, read 602,443 times
Thanks for the link & pictures, NRG! Yes, it's a great flea market. It is open every Saturday and Sunday of the year, except in October when the State Fair is on. One outdoor section is all regular antique dealers, with pretty good stuff at reasonable prices. Another outdoor section is newer stuff. Another outdoor section is people emptying their attics. Not as high a quality as the antique section, but there are really good deals here. There are also indoor booths, with antique furniture and various other specialties – a clock man, a stained-glass booth, a kitchen supply booth, a book dealer, a Chinese antique dealer, a yard art booth, etc.

It would take all day to see everything. And it’s a little different every week. Some weeks the lady with the antique hardware is there. A couple weeks ago a fellow came with a truck full of vintage rock & roll records; I got some rarities cheap!

There are food booths scattered around, too. Hot dogs, lemonade, thin-crust pizza, popcorn, sometimes barbecue.

The best times are spring and just before Christmas. The weekend after July 4th probably won’t be that great because many people will be on vacation. And there is some construction project on the grounds, so the parking is tight. But that just means that you’ll get better deals on whatever is there. These folks are there to sell, and they are receptive to reasonable offers.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:28 AM

50 posts, read 252,741 times
Excellent! Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. We have a local flea market here where you really should get there at dawn or earlier for the best deals, so what time does it open or is the best time to get there? And is Saturday sort of a quiet day, or are both days good days?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 AM

583 posts, read 2,803,188 times
They say it's 9 -5, but the antique dealers are there setting up earlier. Both days are big days (as most dealers set up the booth for the whole weekend). Before the heat of the day is the best time to visit Hope that you enjoy it!

N.C. State Fair Fleamarket (broken link)

Old 07-03-2007, 10:14 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
I've asked about the flea market in F-V before, but didin't get much about it. They just said it's a bunch of Mexicans. That doesn't bother me, I just want to know what they sell. I'm looking for things new items, like cell phone covers, video games, sunglasses, etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary