Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:43 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times

Advertisements

Some interesting tidbits about the Wake School System. What follows the link is from the link

Workers must do as Wake school board says, not does - Local - NewsObserver.com
When Wake County school board member John Tedesco called former ally Debra Goldman "Benedict Goldman" on his Facebook site, he did something that's forbidden to school employees under the system's new social media policy.

Forum cost Cary $3,814

Speaking of Goldman, Tuesday's high-security forum with the renegade school board member cost the town of Cary $3,814.26. That's the cost of overtime paid during the evening event, which lasted a little over an hour at town hall.

Goodmon rakes Wake school board - Local - NewsObserver.com
Capitol Broadcasting CEO Jim Goodmon, one of the region's leading businessmen, publicly lashed into the Wake County school board majority on Saturday over its elimination of the use of diversity in deciding where students attend school.

"This is not where you get people with political agendas or ideological agendas," Goodmon said. "This is not what we're doing here. We've got a really big, important business that we're supposed to be working on. My view is that the wheels are coming off the bus because of the poor governance practices of the Wake County school board."

If you have a link/article to share add it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 09:01 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,092,226 times
I don't have news to post but thank you for this. I scan the WCPSS site almost daily for news. This post will help

Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times
So... its time to vote Goldman out of office? (sarcasm)

Old 10-18-2010, 12:59 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
I actually thought the article about Tedesco was kind of funny. They cite the actual rule which says something to the effect of you can't post things on social media that you would not say to someone's face. Well, given the way he has conducted himself not only to her face, but in a what should be reverent, offical board meetings, I would say he's clear to post whatever he wants on Facebook.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:51 PM

351 posts, read 770,565 times
"Almost before their seats were warm, they changed a very significant policy," Goodmon said. "If you're a responsible board, a responsible manager, you don't do that."

Followed by...

Goodmon acknowledged Saturday that the old diversity policy wasn't perfect and that more must be done to improve the performance of low-income students.

Huh? If you're a responsible manager you don't change significant policies; but, the policy isn't perfect and needs to be changed to improve performance -

Typical trash for N&O

Old 10-18-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
So... its time to vote Goldman out of office? (sarcasm)
Only after sending her the bill to cover the cost of her little publicity stunt.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
"Almost before their seats were warm, they changed a very significant policy," Goodmon said. "If you're a responsible board, a responsible manager, you don't do that."Followed by ... Goodmon acknowledged Saturday that the old diversity policy wasn't perfect and that more must be done to improve the performance of low-income students.
Huh? If you're a responsible manager you don't change significant policies; but, the policy isn't perfect and needs to be changed to improve performance -
Typical trash for N&O
I think you missed what she was trying to say. She wasn't saying that responsible managers don't change significant policies. Rather, she was saying that responsible managers don't do so "before their seats [are] warm." I don't think she was advocating against change - just against rushing that change

Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I think you missed what she was trying to say. She wasn't saying that responsible managers don't change significant policies. Rather, she was saying that responsible managers don't do so "before their seats [are] warm." I don't think she was advocating against change - just against rushing that change
If they would've sat around and done nothing, like the old board, they still would've found something to complain about.

As long as it's negativity against the board it's all good for N&O.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
Only after sending her the bill to cover the cost of her little publicity stunt.
Why should Goldman foot the bill for the town of Cary's excessive staffing for the event? From the N&O:
Quote:
Tuesday's high-security forum with the renegade school board member cost the town of Cary $3,814.26. That's the cost of overtime paid during the evening event, which lasted a little over an hour at town hall. Sound high? It might be because the town overstaffed. By a lot.
There were 20 police officers, eight public works employees, five members of the fire department, three administrators and two town clerks at the event. All for a relatively quiet meeting that drew fewer than 150 people and left more than half the seats empty.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,092,226 times
Where do I find out about these meetings? I'd have been there in a heartbeat had I known. Though Goldman is not my representative on the board, the school where my kids go is in her realm (I know, odd, but typical for Wake).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary