Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 11,307 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to downtown Raleigh and I am looking for some advice on the condo buildings and downtown area.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Palladium Plaza, Hudson, Park Dev., Hue? How is the area and the safety?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!! THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 01:54 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,729,877 times
Just fyi, the Hue is not a condo building. It was originally supposed to be, but due to the economic downturn it's being converted to apartments.

In the downtown area these are what I'm aware of for high-rise condos:
  • 222 Glenwood
  • Bloomsbury Estates
  • Palladium Plaza
  • Park Devereaux
  • RBC Plaza
  • The Cotton Mill
  • The Dawson
  • The Hudson
  • The Paramount
  • The Quorum
  • West at North

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-14-2010 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: No links to real estate properties, please.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:25 PM

50 posts, read 159,608 times
An x co-worker of mine lives (Or used to live-not sure now) in a Palladium Plaza condo. She was not happy with the issues outside her building and tends to feel more unsafe than safe outside the building. I think she did like the layout of her condo and style of the building but maybe not the people who run the condo board? That might have been one of her major issues with the place. But that's all I know!

Old 11-14-2010, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 14,465 times
The Lofts at Glenwood are right down the street from where I work and are in a pretty safe neighborhood, never been inside but they look really nice from the street. The Bloomsbury Estates are also near my work (the opposite direction from the Lofts) and I would NOT move there. Neighborhood is very close to some pretty bad areas and one whole side of the building faces the prison and some old railroad tracks. I heard that 222 Glenwood was nice, but that they were having problems selling them. I think they actually had an auction there a few weekends ago. RBC Plaza is nice of course, but its all the way downtown and downtown Raleigh is pretty dead on the weekends. Any condos around Glenwood South are in walking distance of a ton of stuff and are safe as long as you stay to the west of Hillsborough. We have several friends who live in the area...its perfect for young professionals! Happy condo hunting!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:57 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSouthMidWest View Post
The Lofts at Glenwood are right down the street from where I work and are in a pretty safe neighborhood, never been inside but they look really nice from the street. The Bloomsbury Estates are also near my work (the opposite direction from the Lofts) and I would NOT move there. Neighborhood is very close to some pretty bad areas and one whole side of the building faces the prison and some old railroad tracks. I heard that 222 Glenwood was nice, but that they were having problems selling them. I think they actually had an auction there a few weekends ago. RBC Plaza is nice of course, but its all the way downtown and downtown Raleigh is pretty dead on the weekends. Any condos around Glenwood South are in walking distance of a ton of stuff and are safe as long as you stay to the west of Hillsborough. We have several friends who live in the area...its perfect for young professionals! Happy condo hunting!
You might want to check some of your facts.

Where are the "Lofts at Glenwood"? Are you referring to 712 Tucker? If so, this building was built as apartments when the developer (smartly) realized that the condo market was slowing down. This was decided before construction started on the project.

Bloomsbury Estates is not in a bad area. I live a few blocks away and walk and bike in this area often. Boylan Heights is right over the bridge, and is one of Raleigh's historic neighborhoods. It may have been a bad area 15-20 years ago, but it is definitely a sought after neighborhood these days. Mayor Meeker lives there just over the bridge. The prison and railroad tracks are within view, but that is part of living in an urban area. There area also units that face the skyline and probably have some of the best views from that side of town.

222 Glenwood was not the building that had the auction, it was the West at North. I think 222 has sold many of their units.

I've been in Quorum, RBC Plaza, Palladium and Hudson. They are all nice buildings. They each have a different style that will likely appeal to different people, so you will probably want to visit a few buildings to find the style that suits you.

Hudson is located right on Fayetteville Street, where many of the downtown festivals are held. If you don't like having the potential of a variety of festivals, sounds, smells and crowds right outside your window, this might not be a good location for you. If you like having the potential of entertainment and fun right outside your window, this would be a great location.

RBC Plaza is a nice building, but to me the layouts are odd, with a lot of unutilized spaces. If you're going to be paying premiums for square feet, you'd better be able to use all of it! Of course, the views can't be beat.

The safety of different areas will always have the caveat that you are in a downtown area, and the usual safety precautions should apply - don't make yourself a victim, be aware of your surroundings, etc. I've never felt unsafe downtown, but I also lived in a large metro area for most of my life where even the suburbs have much worse crime than anything you'll find in downtown Raleigh.

I would say that Palladium and Founders Row are closest to the 'fringe' of downtown, where you might find a little more crime element, but it is still fairly safe as far as downtowns go. The east side of downtown is revitalizing a bit slower, but there is still a fair amount of improvement going on. If you are not comfortable living in an up and coming area, this might not be for you. However, it is very close to Moore Square (park where outdoor movies and festivals are held) and this historic City Market (shops, restaurants and art studios/galleries).

Here's a pretty good map showing most of the condo buildings Moderator cut: No links to real estate sites, please. Some of the info is outdated (I think the Boylan Flats, Glen on Peace and 630 North projects fell through). You can also find some descriptions of downtown neighborhoods on that site.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-15-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,342,277 times
Here are my quick opinions. May be controversial. You can PM me if you want to discuss in detail. I've broken it down by location.

Glenwood South
This is a trendy more established district with bars and restaurants but it is farther away from downtown proper and away from the typical city events/activities but there is free Raleigh bus now.

222 Glenwood - apartment like look and feel, pool is in the middle of the complex making it harder to get light, can hear train from railroad track behing the parking deck, prices reasonable, some units face the parking deck, location is good as it's right on glenwood avenue and closer to downtown proper

510 Glenwood - right above bogarts/Hi-5, older (2000?) units so not all upgraded, halls are dark and gloomy, some units have fireplaces, view not so great as you see the senior housing tower, no real amenities like pool or gym

Paramount - very nicely built architecture and good quality interior materials, my only gripe is location is at the end of glenwood south and farthest away from everything, views can be obstructed/bland (mc donalds, senior tower, or starbucks)

Bloomsbury Estates - even more nicely built looks like a castle, really high grade materials, unfortunately location is off to the west side of downtown right next to state prison, also not much around it now expect the brewery and pizza place, free bus does not pass by it, they overpriced it in the beginning and now coming down on price, not many condo owners there, maybe 10 max so far? no pool (yet) since they haven't built the second building

The Cotton Mill - Mill converted so historic interior feel, more space for the money, conveniently next to Seaboard Station but away from other areas of downtown, not sure about amenities

The Quorum - very office building like, high upgrades some marble but putting this condo at very costly price for the sq ft, not much amenities like pool, in between glenwood south and downtown proper, across from greyhound station, view can be great looking into downtown

West at North - nicely built, rooftop pool, but next to railroad track, priced high but recently held an auction to auction off appx 36 unit so could affect resale value, a couple of blocks east from glenwooth south avenue so not right on glenwood. 1BRs don't have balconies.

Tucker 712 - was intended as a condo but turned rental apartments insead, nicely built, location good

Warehouse District
Good location right in between Glenwood South and Downtown proper. Next to mostly bars.

Park Devereaux - Condos built in the 2000 so not your typical granite. Next to Nash Square. Location great. Large rooms, many 2 floor loftlike. Downsides are no amenities, no balconies, and can be noisy. Walls seem thin. Right next to Fire Station.

Dawson - fully occupied one of the better built condos in the mid 2000s, next to Campbell Law school, not much for views, HOA high even though there are no amenities, not all parking is covered, most 1BRs don't have balconies

Hue - went bankrupt during condo selling phase so have now turned into rentals....seems to be same builder as 222 glenwood so very similar floorplans and materials, pool in the middle as well, price point was really good (when they were selling)....too bad this could have sold well if the condo market wasn't saturated and economy didn't take a downturn

Downtown Proper
Area I consider Fayetteville St, or close to it, between Capital and Progress Energy center. Convenient location next to new City Plaza, Convention Center, and outdoor Amphitheater. Mostly restuarants and bars, not many clubs. Seems to be the new up and coming area. Often close off Fayetteville St for parades, Raleigh Wide Open, Sparkcon, First Friday, and other festivals.

Palladium Plaza - across from Moore Square area under Progress Energy. units are nicely built 2 level loftstyle. Lots of room and best bang for the buck. HOA reasonable since no amenities. Trash is outside in the parking deck so inconvenient perhaps. Some people say the area is unsafe as it's closer to southeast side of raleigh. Yes there have been some incidents across the street from it lately (barbershop murder). Oh and I would avoid the first floor units as their patios open up right to the street level.

Founders Row - across from Palladium and Artspace. older units built in 1980s I believe. no covering parking. lots of balconies and decks. floorplans are large but can be weird at times. just beware of the age of the units, some are starting to show

Hudson - the first and earliest condo on Fayetteville St. location is nice as you are smack above Oxford and ABC11 news station right in the middle of Fayetteville St. Units are rebuilt Belk department store so concrete floors, retro bathrooms. One thing I didn't like is the MBR window is tiled, so really no real view except a little port opening. Lots of square footage. A courtyard but no pool. Biggest issue is the noise as there are always party right outside on the street level. Views are not so good as you look right at the wake county courthouse.

RBC Plaza - seems to be the most presitigious condo in downtown raleigh due to location (smack in the middle of fayetteville st), only true highrise (33 floors, next closest is West or Paramount at around 16 I think) which is a plus since you are further higher up and away from the noise of fayetteville st, rooftop pool, floorplans are open and more studio like, huge balconies, views are spectacular, most expensive/sq ft in downtown, 1BRs at least $270K.

Last edited by meanieme; 11-15-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 12:01 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,611 times
Are there any downtown places with 4 bedrooms?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,342,277 times
I am not aware of any 4 BR condos. The max I've seen is 3 BRs, for example, at RBC and West, maybe Paramount and Dawson too.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 PM

397 posts, read 805,624 times
If you're interested in renting a condo to get a feel, contact the Glenwood Agency. Nice folks and they have rentals listed on their website. I'm dealing with them now and talking with my friend about moving downtown. I'm looking for a 2br rental.

My freind lives in WEST right now and I've been there quite a few times. All in all, that's probably one of the best buidlings downtown and I don't think you could go wrong with it.

Downtown is a compromise and there is no perfect building.

The detailed descriptions are about as best as you could describe.

If your new in town, I would strongly recommend renting a condo for 6 months / year before you buy. Condo's can be very tough to sell, and if you buy in the wrong place, you're stuck there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary