Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 04:34 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times

Advertisements

I didn't buy a thing today.

But I was wondering how everyone did today.

What deals did you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 07:44 AM

276 posts, read 648,747 times
We went shopping, but not at crazy o'clock in the morning. We left the house around 8:30 and went to Walmart. We picked up a Crock Pot for a Christmas gift, and saved a couple bucks on it. The store was surprisingly not too crowded at that time, and we had no trouble finding a parking spot. After that we went out to Briar Creek.

We first went to Art of Style, which is a new boutique. The clothes there are sooo cute! I picked up a gift there too, but it was really hard to NOT buy myself a bunch of cute outfits. I highly recommend this place, you should check it out if you haven't been yet!

We went next to Best Buy, which was again not as crowded as I was worried that it would be. We didn't get any "big ticket" items, but we did pick up some mice on sale (50% off!) and some cables / accessories that we needed. One of the salespeople that we talked to there told us that she arrived to work at 4am and had to work all the way until 8pm!! That is some craziness. Kudos to those working Black Friday, I KNOW that is rough!

The other place we visited was Game Stop. They had a good deal on used games, buy 2 get 1 free. But they do that deal periodically throughout the year, so it wasn't particularly special for Black Friday.

After that... we came home and I made the rest of my purchases online. I got Season 1 of Glee for $19.99 on Amazon -- at Best Buy it was $44! The only sad part of my day was that I was online at noon to try to get Amazon's Lightening Deal on the Kindle. They had it at $89. I clicked the button at exactly noon, but sadly I was too late, as they were all claimed instantly! Dang it! So I bought one full price

I want to hear more Black Friday stories! Surely someone went out early, battled the crowds, and have some war stories to tell??

Old 11-27-2010, 08:14 AM

306 posts, read 719,986 times
You couldn't pay me enough to fight the madness at 4 or 5 in the morning on Black Friday. I'm more of a Cyber Monday kind of gal (point and click while still in pajamas!). But I did venture out later yesterday to get some items that were on sale, but weren't the "doorbusters." I thought it was still kind of crowded.
But my MIL did venture out to one of the "open at midnight" locations of Game Stop and got exactly what she went there for. She was so excited because that took care of one grandchild completely.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:19 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times
The only shopping I did was online on Thanksgiving Day. We ate out for the meal at 6pm so I had all sorts of leisure time. I went to Kohls.com and didn't get gifts but did get a couple things I'd wanted but was too stingy to buy--a Shark Steam mop that was $99 was $50 plus another 15% off plus free shipping plus I got $10 in Kohls cash to spend later--so I was happy!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:30 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I took my wife out for a romantic movie on Thanksgiving.
"Unstoppable."

Then we went to Michaels and picked up some decorations. That is when we drove past BB and the tent city.

We went to the Cary Mall, Macy's, about 10:45 and picked up a parka for a gift. They were busy, but it was very easy to get in, out, and make the purchase.
Off to Crossroads to Home Depot. Traffic was light on 40 and 1. We avoided Walnut St, and made it from the Mall to HD in about 5 minutes, maybe less.
Bought a few LED flashlight sets, 10 lights for $10. Great little lights.

Went out to Staples after L/O turkey dinner yesterday, and found a L/O Doorbuster telephone system. 4 clerks told me they were sold out at the BF Special table, and I went back and found one on the shelf. I think they thought I had stashed it earlier or something.

Nothing too exciting as we have a limited gift list.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:09 AM

247 posts, read 452,407 times
We braved Walmart at midnight, and it really wasn't too crowded, seemed that way because their displays were in the middle of aisle ways. We got some good deals and came away with most of what we went for. Except a Leapster 2, we went in wanting to purchase two of them and by the time I found the display of them there was one left. I grabbed it and as I was pulling it close to me a woman took it out of my hand while saying, "I found one!" to her shopping buddy. I was shocked, and will admit a little sad. But, it worked out, we needed two and there was only the one and now I can't find them online for nearly the same good deal, so we're rethinking those as gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsbells View Post
The only sad part of my day was that I was online at noon to try to get Amazon's Lightening Deal on the Kindle. They had it at $89. I clicked the button at exactly noon, but sadly I was too late, as they were all claimed instantly! Dang it! So I bought one full price
Same here! We had the computer on the page and ready and instantly we weren't even able to join the wait list! As soon as the wait list button was clickable we got the message that they were all sold out. That was quick!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
1:00 a.m. at White Oaks to get into Best Buy. SOme great folks had coffee and cocoa for those in line. Wife and I were about 100th in line. We waited until 3:30 for the "golden tickets" to secure our items. It was all quite civil as everyone waited patiently.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:57 PM

200 posts, read 358,854 times
I did not venture out as I am also a "click and purchase" girl...I heard that online sales spiked 16% yesterday, so I guess I was not the only one

Old 11-27-2010, 06:54 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
I am taking this 4-day weekend opportunity to re-grout the kitchen and laundry floors. Wife insisted that I not spend money on a new shop vac for the mess, so she proceeded to choke her current vacuum to death on 10 lbs of old grout dust. I think that's what she had in mind the whole time.

She said "Oh, Home Depot has Dyson vacuums on sale." so we went and picked up a $399 Dyson DC33 for $278.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:56 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I am taking this 4-day weekend opportunity to re-grout the kitchen and laundry floors. Wife insisted that I not spend money on a new shop vac for the mess, so she proceeded to choke her current vacuum to death on 10 lbs of old grout dust. I think that's what she had in mind the whole time.

She said "Oh, Home Depot has Dyson vacuums on sale." so we went and picked up a $399 Dyson DC33 for $278.
And they had 14 gallon shop vacs for $29.00 yesterday...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary