Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 PM

23 posts, read 77,138 times

Advertisements

Hi there – My husband has been offered a job in Apex and we’ll be taking a short trip down to check things out the week after Christmas. We’ll only have from Tuesday evening until Thursday morning (one full day) to explore the area. We are looking for a friendly small-town, where-everybody-knows-your-name type of setting that is still within a 30-40 minute drive to shopping, entertainment, etc. We have elementary-school aged children, so kid-friendly neighborhoods/subdivs , good schools, sports, etc. are important to us. We’re looking to spend about $250k on a 4 bedroom home. We don’t need a lot of land, but would like a nice backyard and a community pool would be a plus but not a requirement.

Based on what I’ve read here and other sites, we are looking at Pittsboro, Fuquay-Varina, and Clayton as places to explore. Are there other areas in proximity to Apex that you think fit the bill and our price point? Can you recommend specific neighborhoods that you just love and we should make a point of seeing in our short time there? Within each town, are there specific places we might go to speak to “the locals” (coffee shops, community centers, etc.)? Any great restaurants in the Apex area we could dine at? We won't have the kids with us during this trip so it will double as a getaway for the two of us. We won't be house-hunting during this trip, but rather trying to find a town we might like to call home. Thanks in advance for your help. All this transition during the holidays is freaking me out a bit, and I appreciate that I’ve been able to look through the posts on this board as a resource!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 11:27 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,922 times
Hi momof2,

Given the recent downturn in real estate prices, it's possible that you might find a 4 bedroom house for around $250k in Cary, though I'm not sure it would be in a pool community. However, since the two towns share a common border, it might be worth a look.

I would think that Clayton, Fuquay-Varina and Pittsboro would probably offer what you want, but honestly, if I were working in Apex, I can think of a lot of good reasons to LIVE in Apex as well. I don't live there, but often visit the downtown area to eat. I would strongly recommend you have breakfast/lunch/dinner there, as there are lots of locals that could give you additional information. Apex is now right next door to shopping (Beaver Creek), and is within a quick drive to other shopping/entertainment at Crossroads in Cary. It's also no more than 20-30 minutes to Raleigh.

One bit of advice that may be very relevant, depending on where you are relocating from. We moved up in 2000 from Florida. It was a few years after the development boom in Cary, and while the houses all look nice on the outside, I have found the construction to be very poor in comparison to what we lived in in FL. Yes, the FL home was concrete block, so it's not an apples/apples comparison, but homes were sprouting like mushrooms around here for years, and the ONLY thing the builders were concerned with was making a profit, and often that meant using unqualified laborers (only an unqualified laborer would use nails to hang drywall, like I discovered in my home). As I'm sure you already know, a thorough home inspection is in order before you sign on the bottom line.

Other than that, I do think you'll find the area very welcoming. Yes, it's different from a decade ago, but it's still a great place to raise a family. My own kids often tell me how much they enjoy the area. Best of luck in your search!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I agree with ntwrkguy1. My first thought was "Apex."
You can find a variety of homes with 4 bedrooms and a decent yard.
And Apex has one of the nicest downtowns around, although it is a little small

All the shopping most people ever need is within 10 minutes or so.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 AM

23 posts, read 77,138 times
Thank you both! The advice about the construction is much appreciated.

Would you consider Apex to have the small-town feel (in terms of human interaction)? As I was reading about the growth in Apex, I got the impression that there were so many people that perhaps the small town feeling of community was no longer there (although I could be way off base - so hard to tell these subjective things from what you read online). We will definitely spend some time there and check it out. We've gotten used to living in a smaller town where you run into friends and neighbors just about everywhere you go. I don't think we'd like to go back to living in an urban/suburban area where you feel anonymous. I'm looking forward to our trip - my husband loved it down there and I'm sure I will too!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:00 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2pumpkins View Post

Would you consider Apex to have the small-town feel (in terms of human interaction)? As I was reading about the growth in Apex, I got the impression that there were so many people that perhaps the small town feeling of community was no longer there (although I could be way off base - so hard to tell these subjective things from what you read online). We will definitely spend some time there and check it out. We've gotten used to living in a smaller town where you run into friends and neighbors just about everywhere you go. I don't think we'd like to go back to living in an urban/suburban area where you feel anonymous. I'm looking forward to our trip - my husband loved it down there and I'm sure I will too!
Apex is pretty suburban in growth.
14 years ago, when I moved to Cary, I stayed in Apex for a night. Picked up the weekly paper, and the headline was, "Apex Gains 10,000th Resident."
Today Apex is over 30,000, and that was mostly achieved by annexation of new subdivisions. You could buy miles from downtown and be in Apex, but, I think you will find more of the small town flavor the closer you might be to downtown Apex.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:29 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,967 times
I'm in Holly Springs. Far enough away from everything to not have to deal with traffic, but close enough to everything if you want to drive. Plus it's a straight shot up rt. 55 to get into Apex's traffic.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:30 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times
Default Don't forget Holly Springs

Apex is really nice and close to just about everything worthwhile that Raleigh has to offer. I believe many of my co-workers mention Holly Springs as a lower cost alternative which is closer to Apex than Clayton, Pittsboro or FV.

If I hadn’t of bought my house in Wake Forest my second choice would have probably been Apex. The town just has a really neat vibe and is very conveniently located. It’s the perfect choice for those looking to avoid the relatively high prices of Cary.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:45 AM

77 posts, read 696,694 times
I agree - my first thought was, "Why not Apex?" as well. It's a great place to live and there's definitely lots of things to do without having to drive much. Cary/Apex are also very family-oriented. I've lived in Cary my whole life and I love it.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:50 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2pumpkins View Post

If you are looking for Mayberry you are not going to find it anywhere near here. The days when you could know everyone in town are over. All of the small towns around here have experienced and will continue to experience considerable growth. I live in Wake Forest which has also seen tremendous growth but still manages to maintain that small town feel. I don't get to Apex often, but when I do go there, the downtown still seems to have that same small town feel.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:46 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
I'm going to agree...if hubby is going to work in Apex, you'll prefer living in Apex. The only reason you'd really want to go to Clayton is if you wanted more land.

Apex has a small town feel even though it has grown like crazy. I think you WILL get that small town feel but you'll get it more from your neighborhood. I agree that if you find a subdivision that has a pool, you'll meet your neighbors that way. You'll meet friends through things you are involved with, like your kids' schools.

I'd check out Sunset Oaks, Devereaux, Miramonte, Bridgewater, Scotts Mill, to name a few.

Keep in mind that some areas of Apex actually run into Cary and Holly Springs so the address could be Holly Springs!

When you are searching, keep in mind that you'll find more 3 bedrooms with a bonus than 4 bedrooms so you may want to have your Realtor search both.

Make sure you check out downtown Apex...it is adorable!

Vicki

P.S. I disagree with the poster that commented on shoddy construction. We have many codes that determine construction. I have family in Florida and I can't say that their construction is any better or any worse than ours. Unless he is a licensed contractor, I'd wonder about his credientials to determine how well a home is constructed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary