Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Now maybe someone can compare Earth Fare to Fresh Market. I haven't shopped there yet, but my friends have recommended it.
Earth Fare is much more like a Whole Foods than Fresh Market. You can find some organic items at Fresh Market, but it is not their focus. It's more of an upscale boutique grocery store - their meat department is supposed to be excellent (no personal experience there since I am vegetarian), and I find their produce of good quality. Oh, and their bakery counter is to die for.

I've been to Earth Fare once and while it was okay, I definitely wouldn't drive 15+ miles to shop there since I have a Fresh Market, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's much closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 05:29 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
In my opinion, Fresh Market also has some of that elitist feel and is very pricey. Having said that, it's beautiful inside!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I feel very different about Lowes & Whole Foods. Whole Foods is this big corporation that just keeps getting bigger. I shop there occasionally. Earthfare is the David to WF's Goliath. Earthfare is going through some financial problems, I believe. I never get a sense of entitlement shopping there. They also have some of the same restrictions, e.g. nothing with HFCS, no GMO's, etc.

Now maybe someone can compare Earth Fare to Fresh Market. I haven't shopped there yet, but my friends have recommended it.
I can't tell for sure, but hope you realize I was praising Earth Fare, not Whole Foods. Whole Foods is fine but seems to be a status issue to shop there.

I don't care for Fresh Market. They have high prices and don't have a natural mission statement. It's a beautiful place to shop, but don't expect to get chemical-free or non-GMO foods there. I'd just as soon go to Lowe's.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:36 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I have only been to Earth Fare once so can't speak to their prices - but I will say that Fresh Market has lower prices than Whole Foods for the same exact Cal Organic produce.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,289 times
Fresh Market is fancy, but to me they don't have much you can't get anywhere else. And I have been off their bakery, since I watched the lady "plunk, plunk, plunk" down the frozen cookie dough on the tray to "bake fresh" their "premade who knows where else" baked goods. I can get that at Harris Teeter. At least with Whole Foods, I know where there bakery is (they bake for local stores from a facility in RTP).

For meat, produce, etc. I rely on farmer's markets or Bickett Market (which sells only local, seasonal produce and meats), with Whole Foods as a back-up. But, I am lucky, as WF is very close to me, so it is convenient. I also use TJ's, and then HT for basics. Earth Fare seems fine, but very inconvenient for me (I live near downtown, EF is in Brier Creek).

Old 01-03-2011, 03:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
I love Earth Fare. It is very convenient for me as it is on my way home from work. It is in a technically great location - 540 at 70. However, it is on the "wrong" side of Brier Creek for through traffic. (Whole Foods is entirely out of the way for me.)

Fresh Market is a poser store as far as I'm concerned. They try to create a Whole Foods/Earth Fare atmosphere without the mission behind it. Not impressed.

Trader Joe's has better prices, but they have fewer healthy and vegan options than Earth Fare, which I prefer.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Took my vegetarian daughter (she lives out of town) to Earth Fare yesterday. She was soooo excited. We bought some fresh veggies and a few other things.

Hubby and I bought a flank steak for our dinner. It was the BEST flank steak that I have ever had. I marinated it for just a short time and it was the most tender and most tasty that I have ever had.

I also noticed they had "trip tip" which is something others have asked about but I have no idea what that is!

Vicki

Old 01-03-2011, 05:59 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
From time to time I make a trek over from RTP to the Earth Fare hot bar to have a healthy lunch to go. I do think it is a little expensive though so I don't frequent it as much as I would like. Maybe I'm just buying the wrong stuff.

I tend not to buy too much for fear that it'll spoil too quickly. I have the same issue with Trader Joe's as well. It's not a bad thing, but when you don't use preservatives etc etc the food goes bad rather quickly. If you're a single guy like myself you blink and you gotta throw out everything in your fridge.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 PM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I tend not to buy too much for fear that it'll spoil too quickly. I have the same issue with Trader Joe's as well. It's not a bad thing, but when you don't use preservatives etc etc the food goes bad rather quickly. If you're a single guy like myself you blink and you gotta throw out everything in your fridge.
I can totally appreciate this perspective...I always end up buying frozen. I did buy 'organic' frozen veggies recently, and I'll admit, they did taste a little better than green giant!

As far as this:
"Fresh Market is a poser store as far as I'm concerned. They try to create a Whole Foods/Earth Fare atmosphere without the mission behind it. Not impressed."
I don't really agree - I've known Fresh Market for well over a decade (more like 2), in Charlotte and Raleigh, and I don't really think they intend to compete with the mission of Whole Foods - I think (even if they don't state it) that they just intend to provide 'fresh' - not necessarily organic or local (they still sell Coke!). I don't think of them as a poser...more like something between Harris Teeter and Whole Foods. I don't shop there often, but I think it's a pretty unique experience and am glad they are present in this market.

I tend to think of Earth Fare as a mini-whole foods, and would shop there, except as others point out - the distance.

Anyway, just another opinion

Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 AM

149 posts, read 615,433 times
They do have a lot of great stuff in there. I usually go in there because they're the only place in the area I can usually find Ben & Jerry's Mint Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary