Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times

Advertisements

I have an elderly relative that I need to go and stay with when it snows. She has a gas log fireplace that will singe your eyebrows if you happen within 3 feet of it, snow shovels, three 10 pound bags of de-icing salt, candles, battery operated lanterns, a crank radio, hand held can opener, water. I've already picked up non-perishable foods, toilet paper and paper towels.

Most importantly however, is my super duper secret weapon....XANAX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
I've printed my boarding passes, heading to San Diego, flight leaves in the early AM, so I'm prepared.

EDIT> Removed a bunch of stuff that has already been said...

Make sure you have a car-charger for your cell phone, to go with that full tank of gas.
We also have a power inverter available, as my daughter uses a nebulizer, so if we were without power, then we have a solution.

EDIT> After reading about all the people grilling food before the electricity goes out, (duh, you can just set it outside and it won't thaw!), I think I'll bring the door from our old '73 F-150 into the house. That way if the power goes out and we get cold, I can just roll up the window...

Old 01-09-2011, 03:40 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
I agree with 1, 2 and 3 but substitute beer for the water
I thought beer was a given.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,848 times
Stop the worry less than .25 of ice power will not be out for long if at all.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:20 PM

525 posts, read 1,298,256 times
How much ice are they actually predicting? I have been unable to watch any television reports today - and online, there is not much information other than we will have freezing rain after the snow tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:01 PM

892 posts, read 3,161,897 times
Channel 14 just guessed .10" of ice.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
At least we'll all be ready for hurricane season starting June 1st.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:39 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
This was on WRAL's site yesterday: (Snow and ice to start week :: WRAL.com)
We won't see a snowy impact," Maze said, "but could see more of an icy impact."That is a worry for Drew Elliot of Progress Energy. Ice can weigh down power lines leaving customers in the dark and cold. "An eighth of an inch – that's worse than six inches of snow in some cases," he said.

According to Wikipedia: (Freezing rain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Freezing rain often causes major power outages by forming glaze ice. When the ice layer exceeds 0.2 inches (0.5 cm), tree limbs with branches heavily coated in ice can break off under the enormous weight and fall onto power lines.

So I guess we're okay (as far as outages but not as far as slick roads) if the forecasters are right (at least two of them are predicting only .10 inches of ice).

Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The forecasters are saying "significant ice." If that means an ice storm, that's a bit worrisome. We might all have to prepare a bit more than buying milk and bread.
<>
Don't forget eggs. French toast is a great comfort food in case of a storm.
I went down to the shed and dug out the kerosene heater. We will fill the tubs with water that gets used to flush toilets and do a little washing. Remember your water heater is also full. Don't drink any of that stuff, though, stick with bottled.
If the power does go off, you should flip off most of the panel breakers so you don't get a big surge when power is restored. You should also have and old style phone that does not require 120 VAC.
The hard part is finding all this stuff when you wake up freezing at 400 AM. Keep a flashlight handy.
One other tip is to go out and flip up the wipers on your car so it is easier to clean the windshield. Oh, and bring the scraper inside in case your doors freeze over. I apply Rainex in the Fall to make the cleaning easier.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:22 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
I have an elderly relative that I need to go and stay with when it snows. She has a gas log fireplace that will singe your eyebrows if you happen within 3 feet of it<>
My gas log has a solenoid in the feed line and an electric fan; not much use as an emergency heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary