Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times

Advertisements

As many know, I am not a fan of the new board. Everytime I try to put how I feel about them behind me and start anew, they do something to stir up my feelings of mistrust and fear for what they'll do next.

The issue of dropping accreditation was just announced and they will hold a public vote this Wednesday on the issue Wake may drop high schools' accreditation - Education - NewsObserver.com

I think it is foolish to drop accreditation without already being in transition with another agency. It seems like this decision is a knee jerk reaction or simply for spite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 12:56 PM

260 posts, read 637,894 times
If accreditation is dropped it will not only be foolish but down-right negligent action from BOE from the point of view of parents and Wake tax payers.

Last edited by sachivalay; 01-11-2011 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,211 times
It's a ploy. Kind of reminds me when the government jacked up the gas prices to $4.00 a gallon and when they dropped it we were suppose to be so grateful even though it was still high compared to what it originally was.

I can see Tedesco now, rubbing his nubby chin hairs while engaging in a sinister laugh, muttering under his breath *how do you like me now* and *take that all ye naysayers*.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 PM

116 posts, read 366,688 times
I agree with the school board on this one. The accreditation company is getting into the politics of Wake County and not the accreditation of its schools. If the changes caused some of the schools to fail the accreditation standard, then AdvancedEd has a right to complain. But this is a political move brought on by the NAACP.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:37 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiledog View Post
I agree with the school board on this one. The accreditation company is getting into the politics of Wake County and not the accreditation of its schools. If the changes caused some of the schools to fail the accreditation standard, then AdvancedEd has a right to complain. But this is a political move brought on by the NAACP.
bold by me.

Well, truth be told, you make a good point about the NAACP.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Politics. I hate it but I hate it even more when it involves the schools. Why can't they just do what is right for the students?

Vicki

Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiledog View Post
If so is this the response of responsible adults?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 PM

280 posts, read 740,990 times
The board should just suck it up and go ahead and do what that agency is asking them to because it will affect the students. It is in the best intrests of our children because the board does not have a plan to get accredited by another agency. I personally feel AdvanceEd is overstepping their bounds.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:51 PM

116 posts, read 366,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
If so is this the response of responsible adults?
As far as I can tell, there are no responsible adults in the Wake school board fiasco.

The old school board was arrogant. The new school board are nut jobs. Local NAACP is acting childish. And the accreditation board is getting involved with issues that are way out of its jurisdiction.

(I imagine there are responsible rational people in each of those organizations, but the rational voices are being drowned out.)

Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Plenty of excellent high schools are NOT accredited...so I'm not clear on what the negative consequences of this will be.

School quality in NC is governed by the state, so why use an outside accrediting organization? Does AdvancED charge a fee for their services?

I searched their website to see...lots of schools in NC are accredited through AdvancED but NY, PA and Mass (not a very scientific sample, i admit) have very few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary