Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Of course there are more active Christians in the Bible Belt. But if you know any Christians whatsoever, their mission is to convert you -- everywhere.
Maybe that's what you were told.

Growing up protestant, congregationalist, in New England we were told that your relationship with God is a one on one thing.

Seems like the bible thumpers around here are the "my way or the highway" types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 11:47 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Um, no, it's what I EXPERIENCED. North and South.

I was raised on the one-on-one principle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Maybe that's what you were told.

Growing up protestant, congregationalist, in New England we were told that your relationship with God is a one on one thing.

Seems like the bible thumpers around here are the "my way or the highway" types.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
We are in Holly Springs now, and it is me and the family.

It's just strange here, people are nothing like they are in the northeast. People here just stay to themselves. We moved in and not one neighbor came to introduce themselves. From what I hear that is the norm around here. Up north people came over with cookies, flowers, etc.

You can't plan anything on a Sunday because that's a church day. Forget Halloween for the kids, that's "worshiping the devil". We start business meetings with a prayer at work (I believe prayer is an individual thing).
I think you need to move out of your neighborhood and area to experience the rest of the triangle. This is simply not the norm. I have lived here my whole life and never, ever run into any of this. None of my neighbors even go to church we plan things all the time on Sunday all the time, everyone goes trick or treat treating and none of my friends who are Christian try to convert or even talk about it.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:54 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Umm, let's see. You want a place with no churches, at least none anywhere in your path. None in storefronts, houses, shopping centers. You probably don't want street preachers or any religious programming on TV, don't want to hear any prayers or mention of God in any way. I guess we can't have T shirts or bumper stickers with any mention of God. Where could you go & be free of all this? Only sure place I could think of would be Hell. Closest places on Earth? I'm not certain, but try these. Hollywood, maybe? Washington, DC? Mogadishu? Pyongyang? Havana? Saudi Arabia, for sure. Iran, good bet. Pakistan, that's a good bet. I forgot Afghanistan, sorry about that. Don't think I'd go to any of those places, but you want to be free of anything related to church. If a church person does pop up by some chance, you could join the crowd & beat him to death. These would be your best bets. BTW, we also have travel agents to help you with these trips. See, we have lots of stuff here.

I'd offer to help you pack, but I don't like being stoned.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Funny, I've lived here for 7 months now and actually AM a Christian and I've only been invited to 2 churches. One from a neighbor who asked after we mentioned we were looking for a church and another from someone at the church preschool my son attends. Neither were in any way pushy. Wondering if I come off as someone who wouldn't be interested in church...
Remember, people are trying not to be pushy. They never know who may not appreciate any mention of church.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:06 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
what a tough crowd. I'd be better off doing stand-up at a white sheet rally dressed as a minstrel than saying how I felt about a place. Gosh-golly-gee-will-er-kers. The OP doesn't like somethings about his home...haven't we all stopped and said something mean about our home at one time or another?
It's starting to sound like the North Countyr forum I am from when I said "this state stinks" and "the governor is XXXX"...they would have stoned me all the way to NC if they could have found me. And most of themn didn't even vote for the democrat gov...
Lets face it, no place is perfect, and the OP just wants to mention a few things that reallyget on the last nerve. You gatta admit the CARY point is pretty accurate, eh? But then I digress.
All the OP needs is to take stock in their place in life. It is the proverbial crossroads Robert Johnson sang about, how does one decide where to look next.
Lighten up folks, it ain't all milk and honey here in Paradise, once in awhile we could all use a little lemon in our cream....keeps us alive and vibrant don't cha think?

Old 01-16-2011, 03:25 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
There is a difference between being constructively critical of a place versus just flinging poo to see where it sticks.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:56 PM

406 posts, read 787,893 times
We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
what a tough crowd. I'd be better off doing stand-up at a white sheet rally dressed as a minstrel than saying how I felt about a place. Gosh-golly-gee-will-er-kers. The OP doesn't like somethings about his home...haven't we all stopped and said something mean about our home at one time or another?
It's starting to sound like the North Countyr forum I am from when I said "this state stinks" and "the governor is XXXX"...they would have stoned me all the way to NC if they could have found me. And most of themn didn't even vote for the democrat gov...
Lets face it, no place is perfect, and the OP just wants to mention a few things that reallyget on the last nerve. You gatta admit the CARY point is pretty accurate, eh? But then I digress.
All the OP needs is to take stock in their place in life. It is the proverbial crossroads Robert Johnson sang about, how does one decide where to look next.
Lighten up folks, it ain't all milk and honey here in Paradise, once in awhile we could all use a little lemon in our cream....keeps us alive and vibrant don't cha think?
Read the thread from the beginning. The OP said there was nothing to do outside of NC State games, State Fair, Malls or concerts at RBC Center. I asked what he was looking for & pointed out all the things there are to do around here, which are far more than what he listed. Then he came back with he didn't like church people "forcing religion down his throat", doesn't think churches should be in someone's home, a storefront or a shopping center. People coming on like that usually mean they don't ever want to hear mention of God in any way. Someone inviting them to church or discussing church in any way is "forcing it down their throats". But why did he start out with this "nothing to do" rhetoric? I simply urged him to look other places if he is so miserable here. No one wants him to be miserable. I suggested places he is least likely to see a church or hear any mention of God, since that became his focal point 2nd time around. I'm not sure he knows what he wants. If he does move somewhere, he will probably be miserable there too. Wonder if he'll tell people there how good it was back home?

BTW, guests of honor at KKK meetings got a rope around the neck or burned alive. Has anyone done that to him?

Old 01-16-2011, 04:43 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
BTW, guests of honor at KKK meetings got a rope around the neck or burned alive. Has anyone done that to him?
What on earth does the line above have to do with someone (likely a YOUNG someone) not liking where they live???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary