Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 10:27 AM

26 posts, read 95,415 times

Advertisements

Well, the weekend is over and we are now back in NJ. Here is a somewhat detailed description on our trip, the things we did, and our first impressions:

We stayed at the AmeriSuites (right off 440 exit 10) and the place was great. I highly recommend it. We spent most of Friday looking at a few private Christian schools (we did not have a chance to visit the public schools), one in Cary and two in north Raleigh. My wife found the one in Cary to be a bit 'stuffy and too regimented'. She found the people who she met there extremely polite, but not very personable. Our experience with the other 2 was better. The rest of the day we simply drove around and entered a few developments.

On Saturday we drove through downtown Raleigh. It wasn't very active at the time, but it was very nice. Then we met a real estate person and we went looking at homes. We saw some custom homes and some new developments in north Raleigh and Wake Forest, including Heritage Village (which my wife loved). It is amazing what you can get for your money compared to where we live !!

On Sunday we visited a church in Wake Forest and then visited the Flea Market in Cary (I think it was Cary, exit 3 off 440). Then we went to dinner to Bahama Breeze. Monday we checked out and begun our drive back to NJ. We didn't get to do as much as I thought we would, in great part because the kids needed to rest.

Overall, we came back with a more realistic view of what it might be like living there. People are friendly, but we didn't experience any abundance of friendliness. In business places (restaurants, hotels, etc) people were polite, and willing to help you, but it wasn't an overwheming feeling. Wake Forest has some areas that could be considered rural, but in general we found it to be a nice, growing city with everything that one would need near by. We did like it better than any other surrounding areas we visited.

This was only our first trip, and we expect to take another one over the next couple of months (this time a bit longer). It would be easy to make a decision purely based on the cost of housing, but we are trying to avoid doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 AM

333 posts, read 1,201,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeNJ View Post
Well, the weekend is over and we are now back in NJ. Here is a somewhat detailed description on our trip, the things we did, and our first impressions:

We stayed at the AmeriSuites (right off 440 exit 10) and the place was great. I highly recommend it. We spent most of Friday looking at a few private Christian schools (we did not have a chance to visit the public schools), one in Cary and two in north Raleigh. My wife found the one in Cary to be a bit 'stuffy and too regimented'. She found the people who she met there extremely polite, but not very personable. Our experience with the other 2 was better. The rest of the day we simply drove around and entered a few developments.

On Saturday we drove through downtown Raleigh. It wasn't very active at the time, but it was very nice. Then we met a real estate person and we went looking at homes. We saw some custom homes and some new developments in north Raleigh and Wake Forest, including Heritage Village (which my wife loved). It is amazing what you can get for your money compared to where we live !!

On Sunday we visited a church in Wake Forest and then visited the Flea Market in Cary (I think it was Cary, exit 3 off 440). Then we went to dinner to Bahama Breeze. Monday we checked out and begun our drive back to NJ. We didn't get to do as much as I thought we would, in great part because the kids needed to rest.

Overall, we came back with a more realistic view of what it might be like living there. People are friendly, but we didn't experience any abundance of friendliness. In business places (restaurants, hotels, etc) people were polite, and willing to help you, but it wasn't an overwheming feeling. Wake Forest has some areas that could be considered rural, but in general we found it to be a nice, growing city with everything that one would need near by. We did like it better than any other surrounding areas we visited.

This was only our first trip, and we expect to take another one over the next couple of months (this time a bit longer). It would be easy to make a decision purely based on the cost of housing, but we are trying to avoid doing that.
Very realistic comments and similar to my thoughts. I think maybe "some" people expect a nirvana in NC - it has its good and bad but overall a lot more good than many other places. Raleigh metro has one of the highest educated populaces so I like that... some people might not. You have to find the right situation for you and yes housing costs should not be the only factor. There are thousands of locales across the country cheaper than Raleigh. But for a "medium" sized city in a "nice" climate (nice to me, maybe not nice to others) its still reasonable in costs. If you want 50 acres and to be by yourself you can find land dirt cheap in Idaho or Montana but it might not be your lifestyle.

I thought in general people are very polite there. Friendly is a different term to different people. I also assume (worse case) as more people move there it will lose some of its "friendliness" but relative to what you experience in some places of the country where people literally avoid eye contact it will stay a friendly place (hopefully for a long time) relative to other places of the country (in the north and parts of the west)

I agree with your comments as well about downtown Raleigh - and your impression was the same as mine - its just not the same as a downtown of a bigger city (whether north south east west in this country) its smallish and quaint - even Charlotte I heard has a much more "real" downtown district... but again looking forward if Raleigh continues its growth its downtown will grow and develop more of that feel. But for right now (I didn't see it all) I consider it quite sleepy for a downtown but I went on a Monday night - again, for some that is great, for others maybe dissapointing But its reality right now. Bigger downtowns are busy every evening so that's sort of what i expected - but that's why you have to go and see for yourself.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:39 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,564 times
I agree with both comments - serge and this guy - THere are far too many people who go say I loved it, didn't want to come home and signed a contract

its nice to see someone taking their time and taking the housing cost out of it - do all the research you can, make a few visits and then decide

everyone is this huge rush to go - if you are concerned not going prices will go up, things may not be the way you planned then you are properly better served not to rush only to be disappointed later on (Not directed at anyone, just a comment)

When spking in terms of schools, I think you need to visit a few and see what goes on, the discipline and culture in some schools is very different that to what we are use to here up North. I have a friend who moved to Cary and visited some schools and in some she just felt here children would not adjust. So if schools are important you need to visit and see in action.

I only hold so much in regard to treatment in a rest or hotel. They don't always know you are looking to move, waiters/waitreses wants tips, of course most will be nice and friendly and these people do not represent the entire population of a community.

For those who jump in, there are a great many it does work out for but there are many who it does not

Serjenc - best of continued luck with your research and visits !

Old 09-05-2006, 11:53 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Serge, we visited several times before we decided to move. It is eery how we northerners do som any things alike, like go into Bahama Breeze!!!
If you can, try to go without the kids at least once, you will be able to talk more freely, see more, etc.
The friendliness I have encountered has been ... deeper... people have time to converse. I am more impressed by that than by the quick cheerfulness of waiters, etc., that you get anywhere.
I think you were smart to visit church & schools.
It has been important for me to remember that these are real people with their own lives & identities, NC is not a theme park with everyone grinning ear to ear just waiting to welcome us!
I have spent the last few weeks enmeshed in the nagging details of everyday life, scheduling school conferences, getting the kids to & from activities, all the stuff of real life. And for me it is less frenetic here. But, if you are not in a rush you should "digest" what you have learned before you return. Line up the job & community, the house will follow! (We are happy to be renting) Think about it, you really can't go too far wrong in that category compared to in NJ!

Old 09-05-2006, 07:34 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeNJ View Post
On Saturday we drove through downtown Raleigh. It wasn't very active at the time, but it was very nice.
If it was a Saturday, and it was before the dinner/nightlife crowds start coming in then yeah, it was probably quiet (except at the museums). Sorry you didn't see it at its best.
Quote:
On Sunday we visited a church in Wake Forest and then visited the Flea Market in Cary (I think it was Cary, exit 3 off 440).
Hmmm....that actually sounds like the weekend Flea Market at the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary