Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 08:43 AM

129 posts, read 683,018 times

Advertisements

I have friends that are planning to move to the area and are wanting to move to an area that has an excellent public elementary school. What is (in your opinion) the best public elementary school in Southern Wake County (Fuquay, Apex, Holly Springs, Willow Springs, etc)?

Any particular schools have a great reputation that you've heard about? Excellent leadership, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
According to the test scores, Oak Grove Elementary seems to be very good.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:00 PM

22 posts, read 44,571 times
Best means different things to different people; academically, check out NC School Report Cards

Old 01-22-2011, 02:01 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,677,336 times
Keep in mind, in Wake county you can be redistricted at the drop of a hat. so just because you buy in your 'chosen' district, doesn't mean you will stay at that school.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:45 AM

450 posts, read 1,351,335 times
I have first- and second- hand knowledge of a few of the schools, but can't speak to all of them. I do think we'd be happy at most of them. A couple of resources are the ABC Report Cards and the teacher working conditions survey:
2010 Results | NC Teacher Working Conditions Initiative

This survey gives you an idea of how happy the teachers are, and goes into specifics. It's a lot of data, but I've found it useful. Not to say that the best scores on this necessarily mean the best schools, but it tells you something about the atmosphere. I've found in general I'm happier with a school where teachers are happy, there's diversity and test scores are OK to good, over a school where test scores are great but teachers aren't happy. The principal really does influence the feel of a school - how welcomed parent volunteers are, how the teachers feel about their work, etc.

The best advice I can give is that if at all possible, one should visit schools and decide which seems to be the best fit for their child/family. Another tip I learned on this board is to email PTA presidents (can usually find their email address on the school website).

And I will reiterate that assignments are still subject to change.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:28 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
A couple of resources are the ABC Report Cards and the teacher working conditions survey:
That is a very interesting link. Thanks for posting.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:30 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
I have first- and second- hand knowledge of a few of the schools, but can't speak to all of them. I do think we'd be happy at most of them. A couple of resources are the ABC Report Cards and the teacher working conditions survey:

This survey gives you an idea of how happy the teachers are, and goes into specifics. It's a lot of data, but I've found it useful. Not to say that the best scores on this necessarily mean the best schools, but it tells you something about the atmosphere. I've found in general I'm happier with a school where teachers are happy, there's diversity and test scores are OK to good, over a school where test scores are great but teachers aren't happy. The principal really does influence the feel of a school - how welcomed parent volunteers are, how the teachers feel about their work, etc.

The best advice I can give is that if at all possible, one should visit schools and decide which seems to be the best fit for their child/family. Another tip I learned on this board is to email PTA presidents (can usually find their email address on the school website).

And I will reiterate that assignments are still subject to change.
I agree...I looked at several schools in areas we've been considering and saw many good indicators. However, the consistently negative factor identified by school staff was large class size which DOES have a major impact on student achievement.

This is great info! Thanks! Wish they did this for every state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary