Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:54 PM

75 posts, read 150,861 times

Advertisements

Hello all, does anyone remember these places in Raleigh.
* The old motel that was once where Bobby Murray Chevrolet on Downtown Blvd is now located? It was called "The Alamo Motor Inn" It was of Spanish architecture. My first wife and I stayed there on our honeymoon in 1977.
* The old Skate Ranch, It was located on US 70 or way out on Glenwood Avenue. It was torn down I think in the late 90's for a storage facility. I went there every Friday night back in the mid 70's and knew the owners well, they were always running me back inside since I usually was out in the back seat of a vehicle with a ladyfriend. After it was torn down the newspaper interviewed the son who sold the land and he said he regretted selling it and if he could do it again he would have kept the place. I was sad to see it go! Lots of memories there for sure!
* How about " I Play Games" video on Hillsborough St across from the bell tower? I used to kill an hour there playing Asteroids. I could take a quarter and play forever. I also knew the girl who worked there that was killed in her apt by a nut job who wanted to "date" her. Such a waste. I hope he is DEAD. I worked next door at Arthur Murray Dance Studio at that time. That was moved out on Capital Blvd sometimes in the late 80's early 90's I think.
Speaking of Arthur Murray's, Hey Patricia Wagner if you are reading this contact me!
* The original Griffins Restaurant located on Wake Forest Rd. It was in a small building with a appliance repair shop beside it. It would today be about where the BP station is located on Wake Forest Rd beside Hooters and the old Mexican Restaurant that's been closed forever! They had the best sausage biscuits ever made! I can still taste those things.
* This is an oldie for sure. How about the old Raleigh Rescue Mission that was located on Garner Rd. It was about a mile from the metal recycling plant that's been out there for years. My mother took me out there when I was about 10 and I will never forgot this guy who worked there brought me a shoebox full of old baseball cards. There were tons in that box like Mickey Mantles etc etc. My mom and I talk about it today, how much money was in that box and I used them all as clackers in the spokes of my bicycle. Ahh the days!
* Swains Charcoal Steakhouse that was located at the bottom of the hill before you reach 440 on New Bern Avenue past Wake Medical Center. In its later years it was turned into bar where people were getting killed so the city closed it down which was a good thing!
* The old Hilton Underground on Hillsborough St. It was located in the basement of what is now called The Brownstone Hotel. That place had some great acts play there. The Embers, Northtower, The Band of Oz, among many others. The wrestlers from the Dorton Arena used to visit after their matches on Tuesday nights. I had a few drinks with Mr Rick Flair on an occasion or two. I met some wonderful people there. Hey Cindy House, if you read this hit me up!
* THE UNDERGROUND in Cameron Village. Remember the Frog and Nightgown nightclub there? I think that James Taylor played there along with several other famous acts. It was later called The Pier. I went there when it was The Pier. That was a nice place at that time. I still dont understand why they closed all the bars, shops down and filled in the entrance. Now the entrance is part of the parking lot in front of the library. You can still get down there through the elevator that takes you to a sporting goods store on the side the the library building.
* The Main Event off Creekside Dr. Great disco to party the night away and if you wanted. It turned into a big clique and I stopped going. I do wonder what happened to the hat checked there one evening? Oh well....
* The SWITCH, located also off Creekside Dr behind the old Hardee's ( now a gas station ) building across from the Volkswagon dealership on Wake Forest Rd. I went there a couple times. Even saw Nantucket there and they came back to my place. Not because I knew them but my roommate did! That was cool!
I am sure I will remember many more once I post this but please if you remember these places let me know and post your own memories. Who knows we may know each other! Wouldn't that be cool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 03:18 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,691 times
* The old motel that was once where Bobby Murray Chevrolet on Downtown Blvd is now located? It was called "The Alamo Motor Inn" It was of Spanish architecture. My first wife and I stayed there on our honeymoon in 1977.

i remember bobby murray, but seeing as i was born in 78... i dont remember the motel LOL

* The old Skate Ranch, It was located on US 70 or way out on Glenwood Avenue. It was torn down I think in the late 90's for a storage facility.

Yup! I remember going there with friends. there was one off capital too- not sure if it was owned by the same people or even a different skate ranch. not sure if its still there

* How about " I Play Games" video on Hillsborough St across from the bell tower? I used to kill an hour there playing Asteroids. I could take a quarter and play forever.

nope, dont remember that one, maybe before my time? ; )

* The original Griffins Restaurant located on Wake Forest Rd. It was in a small building with a appliance repair shop beside it. It would today be about where the BP station is located on Wake Forest Rd beside Hooters and the old Mexican Restaurant that's been closed forever! They had the best sausage biscuits ever made! I can still taste those things.

hmmm i want to say yes? i remember my step dad taking me to that mexican place for my birthday one year, though.

* This is an oldie for sure. How about the old Raleigh Rescue Mission that was located on Garner Rd.

nope, again before my time i think....

* Swains Charcoal Steakhouse that was located at the bottom of the hill before you reach 440 on New Bern Avenue past Wake Medical Center. In its later years it was turned into bar where people were getting killed so the city closed it down which was a good thing!

i remember the name, but not ever going there

* The old Hilton Underground on Hillsborough St. It was located in the basement of what is now called The Brownstone Hotel.

nope...

* THE UNDERGROUND in Cameron Village.

nope to that too and the other stuff on your list I'm only just barely 33 you know LOL

what I DO remember....

north hills was...
1- out in the middle of no where
2- when north hills was a very sad little mall
3- being a working class neighborhood (i grew up on Dartmouth and worked at 'i cant believe its Yogurt' in the mall (and walked to and from work!) LOL

when the now closed krogers in cary on kildaire farm was new (remember opening day LOL)

when US1 was 2 lanes from raleigh up to (and past) henderson

the old leith dealership downtown

The Keg? on hillsboro (a topless bar and submitted by my hubby LOL)

Cary- used to be a sleepy little quiet town in no where land

Downtown Raleigh was not a destination unless you worked there

again DT raleigh- across from the old round holiday inn- we lived in a dojo owned by hubbys sister in the basement apartment behind some attorneys office. its now a restaurant and bar (funny, we used to talk about turning it INTO that! LOL)

The farmers market being on Capital Blvd

Millbrook, sanderson, and enloe being the primary high schools in raleigh

cary high being the only HS in cary

lots more im sure, if i sat down and really thought about it

Old 01-28-2011, 03:41 PM

As far as the topless bars go ask hubby does he remember "My Apartment Lounge" also located on Hillsborough St? ;-)

Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 PM

677 posts, read 1,903,253 times
I remember the last few:
* Swains Charcoal Steakhouse, considered it a "fancy place"
* The old Hilton Underground on Hillsborough St.
* THE UNDERGROUND in Cameron Village. ---our favorite hangout during/after college. Went to The Pier, Cafe Deja Vu, and later the Bears Den, saw lots of great bands especially at the Pier. Nice stereo store down there too-- Soundhaus
* The SWITCH, went there too, lots of good bands and fun times

What about happy hour at Mission Valley inn with all-you-could-eat FREE peel & eat shrimp?
Or Poole's Pie Shop where you could buy day-old pies for $1 or so?
Lock, Stock & Barrell at Six Forks & Millbrook?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:38 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-school View Post
As far as the topless bars go ask hubby does he remember "My Apartment Lounge" also located on Hillsborough St? ;-)
he doesnt remember it, might have been before his time? or maybe just not one he knew of LOL... he just turned 40

the keg used to be where cup a joe is - in that block i guess

where bp is on hillsboro and gorman it used to be a gulf gas station and had a junkyard behind it. (his family owned daruma, which was sold and is now sushi tsune)

Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,269 times
You mentioned the Hilton underground. I worked at the Hilton's front desk one summer while in school. The wrestlers who'd stop by were actually staying at the hotel and they go over to RAL to film their match. They were a fascinating bunch of folks. I remember Andre the Giant and how huge his hands were as passed a yucky workout towel to me. I didn't dare to say no to him The sheik was a wonderful, lovely man. My favorite. We had many lovely chats. Rick Flair...he had a bleached hair job which I was dying (yes, I said that) to change And there was one who was terrified of elevators as he'd once been trapped in one for hrs - I found this out when I assigned him to a higher floor room and he had a fit.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:09 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,354 times
Here's a thread for us to reminisce
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...aleigh-if.html

Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
You mentioned the Hilton underground. I worked at the Hilton's front desk one summer while in school. The wrestlers who'd stop by were actually staying at the hotel and they go over to RAL to film their match. They were a fascinating bunch of folks. I remember Andre the Giant and how huge his hands were as passed a yucky workout towel to me. I didn't dare to say no to him The sheik was a wonderful, lovely man. My favorite. We had many lovely chats. Rick Flair...he had a bleached hair job which I was dying (yes, I said that) to change And there was one who was terrified of elevators as he'd once been trapped in one for hrs - I found this out when I assigned him to a higher floor room and he had a fit.
You are right, I remember talking to Rick Flair and Wahoo McDaniels one night as they were waiting on the elevator to go up to their rooms. We all used to laugh at Paul Jones making a fool out of himself hitting on the ladies at The Underground. He would get shot down and actually beg them to be with him. It was hilarious!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
[quote=old-school;17622906]
Hello all, does anyone remember these places in Raleigh.
Quote:
I don't remember it, but someone has posted actual postcard pics of it on a Facebook group for growing up in Raleigh.

Quote:
* The old Skate Ranch, It was located on US 70 or way out on Glenwood Avenue.
That was Skate TOWN, not Skate RANCH, which was newer and on the other side of town.

Quote:
* How about " I Play Games" video on Hillsborough St across from the bell tower?
It was "Gators" before that, I think (a restaurant).

Quote:
* The original Griffins Restaurant located on Wake Forest Rd. It was in a small building with a appliance repair shop beside it.
Was that before it was in Eastgate shopping center, around the back (kind of behind where the Petco is now?) My dad ate breakfast there many times on the way to work.

Quote:
* THE UNDERGROUND in Cameron Village. Remember the Frog and Nightgown nightclub there? I think that James Taylor played there along with several other famous acts. It was later called The Pier. I went there when it was The Pier.
Technically it was called the "Village Subway", complete with subway station murals and stairs from the parking lots looking like subway stations. There is a whole blog about it, somewhere.

Quote:
Lock, Stock & Barrell at Six Forks & Millbrook?
Loved that place! I remember when they first built that shopping center (Colony) and the grocery store was an A&P, with Mayberry Ice Cream on the corner. Lock Stock & Barrel was great because it had a self-serve soft ice cream cone machine--back when there were very few self-serve machines. Very cool to use it, as a kid!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,298 times
My best friends parents owned Griffins for years (they bought it from the Griffins). The best breakfast food around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary