Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,273 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Raleigh from New York soon and I would really appreciate any suggestions on neighborhoods or areas to stay away from. We do not know much about Raleigh at all, mainly we're looking for a nice, clean and safe town (not too country though. We're used to the fast paced environment). Something similar to the suburbs in Charlotte. Tks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 12:55 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chichi711 View Post
My husband and I are moving to Raleigh from New York soon and I would really appreciate any suggestions on neighborhoods or areas to stay away from. We do not know much about Raleigh at all, mainly we're looking for a nice, clean and safe town (not too country though. We're used to the fast paced environment). Something similar to the suburbs in Charlotte. Tks.
The suburbs of Raleigh are very similar to the suburbs of Charlotte. There are many 'bedroom" communities in the area. What exactly are you looking for? Price range, size of home, age of contruction, landscaping requirements ect...

What do you want to be close to in terms of stores, dining and entertainment?

How close or far from work do you want to be? Will your husband be working in Downtown Raleigh? North Raleigh? or RTP (Research Triangle Park)?

Depending on where your job is there are a host of towns to consider including but not limited to:

Raleigh
Durham
Chapel Hill
North Raleigh
Cary
Apex
Holly Springs
Wake Forest

Old 08-31-2008, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 5,273 times
Default Nice towns in Raleigh

Thanks for your reply. He'll be working in Clayton and one thing we want to consider is the commute. In NY, we used to commute 2 to 4 hrs to go to work every day. It will prefer that our commute is around 30-45 minutes tops. As far as the house, we are looking for something around $250K to $310K. We're planning to move to Charlotte, but his transfer came through for Raleigh. So, we have to start from scratch all over again. I am driving this weekend to Cary to begin my search.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:11 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,793 times
You can buy a nice home in Clayton with your budget, but from your description of a faster pace of living, I'd say Raleigh or Cary might be more up your alley. I would definitely look around before deciding where you would like to live and see if the commute would be acceptable to you. I think one of the positives (if you chose to live in Cary or Raleigh) and work in Clayton is that you would be going against the majority of traffic.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
We live in North Raleigh and hubby drives to Clayton to work every day. He IS going against traffic so his commute is 25 to 30 minutes. Same thing in the afternoon. Clayton is a great place to find a home in that price range. You'll get between l/2 to a full acre, new 2 story, about 1800 sq. ft. and 2 car garage for $209,000.

If clayton is a bit too calm for you...you'll still have quite a few options to choose from.

Vicki

Old 08-31-2008, 10:17 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
There are a lot of transplanted NYers here in Cary. I think you will find that Cary or North Raleigh would both be great fits. We've been in Cary for 4 months and love it. There are multiple subdivisions to choose from and at your pricepoint (310K) you would definitely have choices. We're in West Cary with close proximity to all major highways and all types of shopping very close by.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:43 PM

33 posts, read 84,771 times
Could you respond to how well your move to Raleigh went? I am planning to relocate from Long Island to North Raliegh. I am a Nurse Practitioner and single, empty nester. Children are adults and one out of state. I have lots of family in N. Carolina my mother and grandmother were born there. I visted Raliegh and Charlotte last July loved both areas, but loved Raleigh more. It reminds me of some of the North Shore in LI. I also like the fact I have been offered a position by a Physcian I worked with in NY. She helped me obtain my RN & NP NC license. My only problem is selling my Freeport LI Home. Nassau County assessed in January at $330,000.00 Every realtor I've spoke with in LI tell me it's worth 250,000.000 to the highest $278,000.00 ( along shot by them). Why must I buy a home in N.Carolina that is sold closer to tax & Market value. I feel that I must sell cheap and buy higher. I should be able to get a home from $250,000.00 to $300,000.00. I've been living in Freeport for 22 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary