Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:48 PM

142 posts, read 284,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You haven't mentioned what you do for work, or whether you will bring a work-from-home job with you so that is not an issue?

Raleigh has much, MUCH less to do than the (to quote you) "BIG CITY". Yes, there are all kinds of small clubs and theatre groups, and it has grown a lot, but since you brought this issue up, you will likely find it "sparse" in things to do if you are expecting anything remotely close to the "BIG CITY". Sports are strong here, especially "March Madness" and the ACC Tournament where people take TVs to work and even school. People toss around basketball players' names in conversation and if you don't know them, don't make the mistake (as I have) of asking "Who's he?" . It is much more suburban than urban--actually you really can't say that the Triangle is "urban" in any sense, especially compared to the 'BIG CITY", and you will find yourself quite persona non grata if you spend all your time complaining about what Raleigh doesn't have that you were used to in the BIG CITY. Raleigh and Durham's downtowns are growing and do have urban characteristics but very small skylines; the area is much more known, and celebrated, for being a "family" area with cul-de-sacs, SUVs, malls, strip malls, parks, kids sports teams, etc. There are activities for childfree adults and even a chapter of No Kidding here, but the pervasive social culture is "Families".

Have you ever visited the area at all? That is a prerequisite for anybody before seriously considering moving anywhere. People can give all the anecdotal data they want but none of us has exactly the same criteria that you do, for what suits you. Again, what industry your work is in may make a difference.

I have to respectfully disagree to some extent. I don't see much basketball stuff here at all, much less an ACC tournament frenzy. Not saying it doesn't have a strong presence but I spend a lot of time in all three cities (live in Raleigh, work in Durham, play in Chapel Hill). Hockey on the other hand, absolutely. And I'm not sure why everyone describes the triangle as ultra-family-oriented as that's not true either. It's definitely family oriented and it's a great place to raise a family and if that's what you want there's plenty of it here, but to say that the triangle is all about families and child-friendly things isn't accurate. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I just don't see these things. Otherwise Francois is right. This isn't New York City, nor do we want it to be.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 PM

205 posts, read 487,967 times
So anyhoo.

I've spent some time in Columbus and lived a few hours south of Columbus for longer than I would have liked. I, personally, hated that region of the country. The weather SUCKS, first of all. So, right off the bat, that's a plus for the Raleigh area.

I didn't find Columbus to be any more culturally diverse than Raleigh, nor did I find it to be more urban in style or attitude. In fact, as far as the populous is concerned, I find this area to be much more progressive. The mid-west is, well, middle America. That's appealing to many, but not me.

I give Columbus a thumbs up for shopping, but with the disclaimer that I'm basing that solely upon the fact that they have a Pottery Barn Outlet and we don't.

You'll find plenty of "highly educated" women who will attest to being quite happy to live here.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:15 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,565,663 times
I lived in Columbus from 1989 - 1998 - now live in Raleigh- moved here in July last year. Columbus has much more of a "big city" feel than Raleigh. Raleigh is a 100,000 population city that has balooned to 500K with transplanted yankees, but still is basically a 100,000 city. If you think things are slow in Cbus - welcome to boredom city. Hey, I am happy here because I am 54, kid lives in VA, and it's just the wife and I and we enjoy the quiet life - but I don't think Raleigh is what you are looking for - maybe Charlotte, or Atlanta.

BTW - GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:22 PM

142 posts, read 284,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I lived in Columbus from 1989 - 1998 - now live in Raleigh- moved here in July last year. Columbus has much more of a "big city" feel than Raleigh. Raleigh is a 100,000 population city that has balooned to 500K with transplanted yankees, but still is basically a 100,000 city. If you think things are slow in Cbus - welcome to boredom city. Hey, I am happy here because I am 54, kid lives in VA, and it's just the wife and I and we enjoy the quiet life - but I don't think Raleigh is what you are looking for - maybe Charlotte, or Atlanta.

BTW - GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you're right in saying that Raleigh has had a major influx of people coming to the area in a short span of time. Give it some time though and I think you'll find that the city will catch up with its rapid growth. However I think there's already more here than you seem to be aware of. If you're 54 and bored there's plenty to do. It's just a matter of looking.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 PM

WHY can't I give "negative" reps??

Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfishGumbo View Post
So anyhoo.

I've spent some time in Columbus and lived a few hours south of Columbus for longer than I would have liked. I, personally, hated that region of the country. The weather SUCKS, first of all. So, right off the bat, that's a plus for the Raleigh area.

I didn't find Columbus to be any more culturally diverse than Raleigh, nor did I find it to be more urban in style or attitude. In fact, as far as the populous is concerned, I find this area to be much more progressive. The mid-west is, well, middle America. That's appealing to many, but not me.

I give Columbus a thumbs up for shopping, but with the disclaimer that I'm basing that solely upon the fact that they have a Pottery Barn Outlet and we don't.

You'll find plenty of "highly educated" women who will attest to being quite happy to live here.

A few hours south of Columbus??? in a few hours south, you are in eastern KY - where did you live, Portsmouth? "where southern hospitality begins"? no wonder you hated it - hillbilly/redneck central!!! Columbus is a few steps ahead of Raleigh in terms of things to do - I know - we all love Raleigh - but face it - Columbus has been a large city for years whereas as Raleigh is Nouveau Big, but that's ok - Raleigh is fine. BTW - in Ohio, Columbus is known as a "cowtown" compared to Cincy and Cleveland.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
A few hours south of Columbus??? in a few hours south, you are in eastern KY - where did you live, Portsmouth? "where southern hospitality begins"? no wonder you hated it - hillbilly/redneck central!!! Columbus is a few steps ahead of Raleigh in terms of things to do - I know - we all love Raleigh - but face it - Columbus has been a large city for years whereas as Raleigh is Nouveau Big, but that's ok - Raleigh is fine. BTW - in Ohio, Columbus is known as a "cowtown" compared to Cincy and Cleveland.
Nope. Lexington, KY.

Not hillbilly/redneck central, but it still sucked. As does Columbus (spent much time there as have relatives there). Have to disagree with your assessment of Columbus in general.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:58 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,299,727 times
I'm not sure I trust the assesment of whether Raleigh is boring or not from a person who prefers places like Columbus Ohio and Richmond Virginia. It's kind of like taking hair styling advice from Donald Trump!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm not sure I trust the assesment of whether Raleigh is boring or not from a person who prefers places like Columbus Ohio and Richmond Virginia. It's kind of like taking hair styling advice from Donald Trump!
Wrong champ - I would never move back to Columbus - I hated the 8 month winters, and, in case you missed it - I don't like huge cities. Also prefer Raleigh to Richmond. I am talking about a "younger" person who is from NYC and is looking for "big city" activities/attractions. Columbus has a little more big city stuff than Raleigh - that's simply a fact - deal with it. But the OP implies Cbus is sort of small-townish - that being the case, Raleigh is more of the same, probably more small townish. But if the OP wants to live in the south AND experience big city life - Atlanta, or to a lesser extent, Charlotte shoudl be considerations much more so than Raleigh

Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 PM

68 posts, read 118,445 times
Quote:
Wrong champ - I would never move back to Columbus - I hated the 8 month winters, and, in case you missed it - I don't like huge cities. Also prefer Raleigh to Richmond. I am talking about a "younger" person who is from NYC and is looking for "big city" activities/attractions. Columbus has a little more big city stuff than Raleigh - that's simply a fact - deal with it. But the OP implies Cbus is sort of small-townish - that being the case, Raleigh is more of the same, probably more small townish. But if the OP wants to live in the south AND experience big city life - Atlanta, or to a lesser extent, Charlotte shoudl be considerations much more so than Raleigh
Why do us native Richmonders always compare nearly everything to big cities like New York, Atlanta, or Charlotte? I found the move from Richmond to Raleigh the best move in all of my 21 years! Any responsible youth should seek opportunity in a diverse and economic thriving climate. It's not always about the activities/attractions. As long as drugs and crime are not constantly an option or in my presence than I am fine. I found plenty of cool things to do in Raleigh (including better educational options)! I find myself being more active and wanting to volunteer more in my community...no bs.

Last edited by frank90; 04-22-2011 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary