Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:06 AM

66 posts, read 134,073 times

Advertisements

I really liked All Aboard Pizzeria. Pizza is done very well, and their pasta dishes are good too. The staff and servers are very nice, and they are heavily involved in community service projects within Holly Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times
All Aboard is way overpriced for the quality of the pizza. Not saying it's bad pizza, just very average quality for an above average price. Last time we went it was about $30 for two takeout pizzas (one cheese, one pepperoni).

Old 05-02-2011, 06:44 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Last time we went it was about $30 for two takeout pizzas (one cheese, one pepperoni).
When you're ordering Gluten-Free pizzas, you can expect to pay more than that. ZPizza charges over $13 (I think) for a little 10" single serving pepperoni pizza, and the crust tastes like cardboard. But since it's the only pizza my wife can eat, we pay it.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:37 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
When you're ordering Gluten-Free pizzas, you can expect to pay more than that. ZPizza charges over $13 (I think) for a little 10" single serving pepperoni pizza, and the crust tastes like cardboard. But since it's the only pizza my wife can eat, we pay it.
Unfrotunate but true on the price. All Aboard is 11 + 95 cents per topping for a 10-inch

Rudinos is 12-inch for 12 bucks

Mellow Mushroom is 10 for a 10-inch

However, I disagree with the taste assessment. While they are different tasting for obvious reasons, All the one's listed above are actually very good. IMO Mellow Mushroom is best so far.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Well they don't advertise themselves as a "gluten free" joint (or if they have I never noticed it). I'm not on a gluten free diet and for me, personally, I can't justify the cost. Like I said extremely average (to slightly below average) tasting pizza for the price.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Well they don't advertise themselves as a "gluten free" joint (or if they have I never noticed it). I'm not on a gluten free diet and for me, personally, I can't justify the cost. Like I said extremely average (to slightly below average) tasting pizza for the price.
Being gluten free is not a diet!! It is a way of life due to a severe allergy from wheat. If I have wheat then i go to the hospital so I have to be gluten free. This is not just a fad but something that those who suffer with gluten intolerence must live by and if we would like to eat foods like pizza that are filled with wheat then we have to pay the xtra money these places charge for the food.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not know any of the pizza places that specifically go out of their way to avoid cross contamination. They use a gluten-free crust, and some say that they have a separate preparation area and perhaps utensils, but I doubt that any of them have a separate oven or spatula for GF pizzas.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not know any of the pizza places that specifically go out of their way to avoid cross contamination. They use a gluten-free crust, and some say that they have a separate preparation area and perhaps utensils, but I doubt that any of them have a separate oven or spatula for GF pizzas.
That is a semi-accurate comment. There are some that work harder at avoiding cross-contamintion than others. Places like Outback use separate utensils and do a very good job of keeping the food separate, however, there is always a chance of cross-contamination

Pizza Places are defintiely harder as they use an over that clearly has wheat filled pizzas. Most GF pizzas are pre-made and sold to the pizza place. They then use thier fresh ingrediants to make the pizza. For this part, many who are aware of the dangers of cross-contamination do make sure that the pizza is prepared on a clean surface and that clean utensils are used. Although it is cooked int eh same over, they typically come in a pan when they are sold to the pizza place and then the pizza in the pan is cooked in the oven so you have a barrier.

Again, this is a lifestyle that those that suffer with this what allergy must follow unless we want to be sick all the time. There are different levels of serverity from an intolerence to full blown Celiac (which is what I am). When we eat out we have to hope that places that offer GF menus and foods, take the time to understand the preparation issues and follow the procedures in palce to avoid cross-contamination. I agree it is not perfect at all but many restaurants as well as food manufactuers are becoming much better at this because the number of people with this issue is growing at a very fast rate.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
Most GF pizzas are pre-made and sold to the pizza place. They then use thier fresh ingrediants to make the pizza.
Yes. I've noticed that many of the places seem to have similar crusts, and guessed that they buy them frozen from some supplier.

Quote:
For this part, many who are aware of the dangers of cross-contamination do make sure that the pizza is prepared on a clean surface and that clean utensils are used.
Mellow Mushroom claims that they use a separate area. Not sure about the others. Here is a writeup by the person who blogs on "Gluten-Free Raleigh".

Gluten Free Raleigh: Mellow Mushroom's Gluten Free Pizza

Quote:
Although it is cooked int eh same over, they typically come in a pan when they are sold to the pizza place and then the pizza in the pan is cooked in the oven so you have a barrier.
Ahhhh.. This explains why they often come out with burnt cheese or undercooked crust. The pan is adding that extra layer of protection at the expense of heat transfer to the crust.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Being gluten free is not a diet!!
I was using diet as a noun, not a verb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary