Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which option would make you put an offer on your dream home?
fenced yard 2 8.33%
square footage 3 12.50%
commute time 13 54.17%
location (North vs. South Durham) explain 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:29 AM

251 posts, read 274,072 times

Advertisements

We love DURHAM. We are currently trying to figure out which house to choose regarding making an offer. I'm curious of what city-data Durhamites would pick. We are a family of 5, and school choices aren't really in the mix because we are doing private school option.

There are two houses, everything perfect about them in every way except- one is fenced in and the other is not, one is HUGE over 4000 sq ft and the other is a nice size 3600 sq feet.

For you does square footage trump fenced in yard?
Location? one is North Durham and the other is South Durham

Is there anything I'm overlooking?

Input please!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
To me, if the two houses are so similar I would look to what I like/dislike about the surrounding area. How do the overall neighborhoods compare. Does one provide better access to work, dining, entertainment? How is the traffic in each area ect..

I'm not sure how to compare square footage without knowing what is bigger. is the extra square footage in the bedrooms or the kitchen or dining room? Depending on what is important to you the extra square footage could be a huge plus or a nonfactor.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
I'm from Durham and can't wait to move back

The fence can always be added later. 4000+ is huge, but even 3600 is more than I could ever want or need (all the cleaning and large utility bills!). North vs. South depends on how far north and convenience, how much traffic you don't mind running into, or how quiet you like it.

In the end for me, next time we buy it will be LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION! So it comes down to commute and how bike/walk friendly the neighborhood is to most things I want/need. The less gas I have to spend and less time in a car are worth it to me for a smaller house.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
To me, if the two houses are so similar I would look to what I like/dislike about the surrounding area. How do the overall neighborhoods compare. Does one provide better access to work, dining, entertainment? How is the traffic in each area ect..

I'm not sure how to compare square footage without knowing what is bigger. is the extra square footage in the bedrooms or the kitchen or dining room? Depending on what is important to you the extra square footage could be a huge plus or a nonfactor.
I agree with all of this. I remember when we were looking in Cary last year we looked at a house that was 3000 sq feet - the most poorly laid out home I've ever seen. I'm not sure where all that square footage was hiding but it just didnt' seem like a big house. Maybe they were counting the 3 car garage???

Anyway - location location location sums it up best.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
Long commute killed my marriage. I heard last week on NPR that a long commute is the single largest source of unhappiness for the modern american,or something to that effect. I believe it!

When you are on your deathbed, will you say "I wish I had spent more time in the car"? Plus gas prices are not coming back down.

Same feelings apply to the square footage of the house. I had a 3300 sf house. Seems like all I did was vacuum. And I filled that space with an unbelievable amount of stuff I thought I really needed. I am now in a 2400 sf house and wish I had 1800. Augh! The Utility bills!

I did have a dog so we always put in a fence right away. Invisible Fencing is nice!

If I knew then what I know now, I would have stayed in the 'starter' house that was closer to exhusband's job and taken more vacations.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
I think "how far north" is the operative question. I was in north durham a few weeks ago scouting houses for a friend, and I observed how far you would have to go to buy a gallon of milk--I couldn't find any grocery stores nearby. It's a beautiful area up there, but be careful it's not so far out of the way that it becomes inconvenient.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:23 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
I think "how far north" is the operative question. I was in north durham a few weeks ago scouting houses for a friend, and I observed how far you would have to go to buy a gallon of milk--I couldn't find any grocery stores nearby. It's a beautiful area up there, but be careful it's not so far out of the way that it becomes inconvenient.
LOL, if it's THAT far out, there are gas stations and country stores scattered around so you can at least get your basics. But yeah, too far for me.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:28 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Grocery stores and retail generally are the challenge for North Durham. There is a nice Harris Teeter at Guess and Horton; an OK Kroger on Roxboro St. at the Eno River; and that's about it. A couple of Food Lions, but I'm not a fan. There is a Costco and another Kroger near I-85... plus King's Red & White (popular for meats), and Whole Foods and the farmers market downtown... but that can be inconvenient for true North Durham. Depends how far north you are, of course -- we're in a house next to Brightleaf Sq. and traveling at off hours, it's 8 minutes to the HT at Guess/Horton.

Bigger issue is general retail shopping. No Target, Walmart, etc. north of I-85, which can be a pain for everyday trips. It takes us 15-18 mins. from near Duke's East Campus to get to the Southpoint area; chalk up a longer trip from NoDur.

I think North Durham is great if you're looking to be on the edge of a more rural, quiet area, like the neighborhoods near the city's northern edge. And the parks at the Eno are better than anything in SoDur. South Durham works better if you want quicker more central commutes and closer shopping.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:19 PM

119 posts, read 394,196 times
We are currently planning to move to North Durham in the fall. This was not my first choice but after seeing how rural feeling the area we chose is with many amenities a short drive away I realized that's where I wanted to raise my kids. I would rather they grow up in a quiet, good area than have my life revolve around the nearest stores. Don't get me wrong, I will miss being able to walk to stores & restaurants but I guess I'm having some retail overload.

If you are buying this home for the long term, where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Old 05-05-2011, 05:04 PM

233 posts, read 269,938 times
Mashiara4life,

Location is almost always the most important factor. A fence is not even in the equation. A fence can be added. Location can't be changed. Location should not be based on current employer unless the commute time exceeds your comfort range. The average length of employment for people is 3 years consecutively at one company. If you buy now to be close to work what will you do when you no longer work there?

Instead do what someone upstream mentioned. Pick location based on what you like about the area around each house. Which one has more of the things you like to do? If you enjoy the nightlife you won't want to be too far north in Durham. If you like the rural feeling you won't want to be too far south in Durham.

Please let us know what you picked and how you like it once you are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary