Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 09:19 AM

51 posts, read 99,568 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking for someone to help me find the perfect lot for me and my family to build our home. I currently know the area I want to build in and that is North Raleigh/Wake Forest. I need someone who would know the answers to questions like, can this lot be subdivided, can we build a guest house on the property, how large can the guest house be. Does the land allow for a basement. Most realtors I have contacted do not have the asnwers to these questions. So If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very greatful. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

P.S. We would consider leaving in a subdivision but only if the lots are .5 acres plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,284,255 times
I'd hesitate to just find a lot somewhere and build on it. The reason is that when it comes time to re sell, most folks just don't want to be in the middle of no where! Most of my buyers really prefer living in a n'hood. Especially if you have kids, so much easier for them to have friends to hang out with than having to drive them everywhere!

As to your questions about subdividing the lot and building a guest house, you aren't asking questions that most Realtors will have answers to. You are asking questions that mostly pertain to a contractor. Contractors would know about building codes, etc.

I'd suggest you start by seeing if you can find a larger lot in an established neighborhood and if that doesn't work out for you, and you've done your research to determine IF buying a lot is a better option, go from there.

You will find that most of the larger lots in North Raleigh are in n'hoods with a list of builders and are quite pricey as land in North Raleigh has become quite desirable and quite pricey!

Your price range will help us give you suggestions for neighborhoods with larger lots!

Vicki

Old 05-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Default price range

Thank you for your reply,

This is the deal with regards to price range, its complicated. We are moving with my parents, so either the home needs to have 2 distinct living spaces (2 family, or guest home). We are also considering buying 2 homes on adjoining lots. In total we have up to 800K to spend, we would rather keep it in the 650-750 range.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,284,255 times
Well, to be honest, with that price point...you really shouldn't have a problem.

Many of the newer homes have 2 master bedrooms...1 up and 1 down. Many have 2 living spaces...downstiars farmily room and upstairs loft.

You may need to share a kitchen unless you want a home with a basement and make an in-law-suite down there.

Or...2 smaller homes in one of the newer neighborhoods could also work; however, you'd have a smaller lot.

Either way, I would not recommend you buy a lot that isn't in a subdivision, for a few different reasons.

Vicki

Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,046,664 times
There is a culdesac of four lots, at the end of Stony Hill road, on the Purnell side of things. I have talked to the people who own all of the land, (we were thinking of buying about a year ago) and you may want to go and look at it and talk with her (the sign is up on the property). I know that the lots cannot have a basement home, but they are nicely wooded (not tons of trees), and she seemed flexible with the acreage size of the lots (meaning it could be subdivided into 3 lots or 4), and the homeowner's could determine if they wanted an HOA or not, etc. We had thought it would be an interesting choice to go into if we had a couple of friends who were looking to build as well, just have a culdesac of people we know and like!

It is owned by the same people who developed (and owned the land for) the sutherland development in the wake forest area.

Good luck!!!

Leigh

Old 05-16-2011, 05:52 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,670,178 times
Another alternative is to find a builder you like. Most often the best lots are not listed for sale and builders have more of a network amongst themselves (keeping the best ones for themselves).

Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you for your input,

After talking to a local real estate expert I am finding that living in a subdivision is the only way to get what I want in the areas I want to live. Now its about which subdivisions to look in, and the fact that I will most likely need to buy a resale. The building opportunities that exist are in subdivisions that have very few lots sold, and in this economy that scares me. And the subdivisions that are at least over 50% sold the lot sizes are very small. So the search continues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary