Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:15 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times

Advertisements

The Original Q SHACK

Original Q Shack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 06:34 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
This poster bashed anything his relative(website he posted) didn't review well in the past. Basically if it's not a local place that is true NC BBQ he will bash it. All you have to do is look at that website and read a review to realize it's far from any kind of expert review.

You'll find a lot of NC BBQ elitist around here, this poster is a perfect example.
Thanks for pointing that out, GaterNation.

I have no feelings of inadequacy or uncertainty about Dixie Belle, that is some yummy BBQ. I'd just like to know why it's not authentic NC BBQ, so in the future I can be a discerning BBQ snob to my friends and family.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:54 PM
P51

61 posts, read 306,629 times
Tried Rub's at lunch today. The brisket was pretty good, and I even liked the hybrid sauce with it. The fried okra was some awful frozen rubbery stuff. Does anybody use fresh okra and dredge it themselves anymore?

I guess I have to get used to hush puppies with my barbecue......

Old 08-13-2007, 03:04 PM

892 posts, read 3,161,897 times
I recently tried Lancaster's and gotta say it was pretty top notch.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
The Original Q SHACK

Original Q Shack

I went there for the first time on Sunday. OMG. I have lived 10 minutes from that place since May and had not been?!?!?! The brisket was TO DIE FOR

I have to go there at least once a week, forever.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:18 PM

85 posts, read 311,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
Thanks for pointing that out, GaterNation.

I have no feelings of inadequacy or uncertainty about Dixie Belle, that is some yummy BBQ. I'd just like to know why it's not authentic NC BBQ, so in the future I can be a discerning BBQ snob to my friends and family.
I need to jump in, here......I tried Dixie Belle's a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was very yummy, too. I'm not originally from NC, but I've eaten at a number of BBQ joints since moving here. I'd also like to know why it's not authentic. I actually liked Dixie Belle's pulled pork because it wasn't chopped to death and drenched in vinegar & red pepper flakes. I could actually taste the pork. It had a nice vinegar-based sauce, but it wasn't overpowering.

And Dixie Belle's ribs and brisket.....can we talk about their ribs and brisket??? In a word, yum.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:06 PM

12 posts, read 12,416 times
I also happen to like Q Shack on University Drive in Durham, though it's probably just because I drive past it every day to work. They have great pulled pork, hushpuppies, chilli, etc and they offer both the sweet sauce and the NC vinegar (which has taken me a while to get used to). When I lived in Boston, all you got was the sweet sauce, so I always expect it when I eat barbecue.

I also like the Barbecue Joint in Chapel Hill. They have some more unusual twists on the traditional offerings - great brussel sprouts.

Now I think of it, I'm not sure I've ever had bbq I didn't like, so don't listen to me!

-Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
The Original Q SHACK

Original Q Shack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary