Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 05:39 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,624,666 times

Advertisements

I was going to stay with Time Warner until my Triple Play package runs out in October, but apparently they don't want me as a customer (two missed service calls). My only concern with U-Verse is the picture quality - I've seen some complaints with regards to sports, but I don't watch sports so I'm wondering how the rest of the programming is. I'm most interested in hearing from people who live in the area and switched from TWC to U-Verse.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 02:35 PM

97 posts, read 246,630 times
I'm happy with the picture. I've noticed that sports is better lately as well.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
We switched from using Time Warner for about 30 years to U Verse because hubby said it was cheaper! I'm not a TV person (if I was, I may not spend as much time on city data!) but we have too many channels and it is hard to find the few shows I do watch! Sometimes the stupid box doesn't turn on and then I have to get up (i.e. put down laptop), switch off the button, count to 10, switch it back on again, wait for it to say "push ok", push ok and then finally the tv turns on.

You can only have 4 things going at once so if you have a house full at Christmas time, and 2 people are watching TV and one is recording and 1 is watching a recorded movie, the 5th cannot watch anything! Or, if you are recording 2 shows and 2 folks are watching TV, the 5th can't do anything! I want Time Warner back!

Vicki

Old 06-20-2011, 04:46 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
AT&T needs several years to get a new product right, sort of like new GM models.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
AT&T needs several years to get a new product right, sort of like new GM models.
That's true. It took them decades before they added dial to their telephones.

YouTube - ‪AT&T Archives: Now You Can Dial‬‏

Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,677 times
I'm switching to AT&T in a couple weeks. I only have 1 HD tv in the living room (and tv for the bedroom that will be hooked up to the free basic TWC that comes with the apartment). I plan on watching the living room tv and being on the internet. So should I be okay?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,081,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
I'm switching to AT&T in a couple weeks. I only have 1 HD tv in the living room (and tv for the bedroom that will be hooked up to the free basic TWC that comes with the apartment). I plan on watching the living room tv and being on the internet. So should I be okay?
That should be fine ... Since ATT is using short twisted pair loops to the prem they are somewhat bandwidth restricted by these high speed DSL links. But Internet and a single HD stream should be fine. Even recording one HD stream and watching another HD stream for the truly ambidextrous :-)

Frank

Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,624,666 times
Thanks for the responses. TWC actually earned themselves a reprieve after they managed to keep their service call commitment. I told them I didn't want to schedule a 3rd service call and that I would be cancelling - I guess that got their attention. I don't know why I'm still surprised at how bad their customer service is - we have them for internet at my office as well and it's just been one problem after another.

I do expect to switch to AT&T in the fall though - no way I will pay "list price" for TWC!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Thanks for the responses. TWC actually earned themselves a reprieve after they managed to keep their service call commitment. I told them I didn't want to schedule a 3rd service call and that I would be cancelling - I guess that got their attention. I don't know why I'm still surprised at how bad their customer service is - we have them for internet at my office as well and it's just been one problem after another.

I do expect to switch to AT&T in the fall though - no way I will pay "list price" for TWC!
Tell that to TWC and they may well cut you a better deal.

We've always had good service from TWC.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 PM

26 posts, read 62,184 times
Default Anyone had U-verse for more than 3 months?

Has anyone had the AT&T U-verse service for any length of time? I've had it for a week and like it so far. I am a bit miffed at discovering the 4 stream limit - they failed to state that up front. The TV boxes and even the DVR and much faster than my Time Warner one. And AT&T actually got the boxes working on the 2nd floor of my house. Two years ago I had Time Warner here and they couldn't figure out why the signal wasn't strong enough on the 2nd floor and gave up.

I have 5 TVs (1 has the DVR) and 3Mbps Internet. Supposedly I got some deal on Showtime and Encore for six months too. I suspect the fiber goes to the front of my subdivision. Since I live in the front of the neighborhood, distance isn't a problem. On the wireless I've noticed that there are at least 2 other AT&T modems nearby although I don't know who has them.

Today on Clark Howard's show he said beware of TV/phone/Internet bundles and named AT&T specifically.

Does bundling make sense for your wallet? | www.clarkhoward.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary