Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:26 PM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptodream247 View Post
Well it seems like this thread has gotten off track with crime statistics of Durham. Since so Ive seen several people mention Durham in this and other threads, I may look into it as a possibility (such as the southern section as ILMtoRTP stated) but all depends on the commute. Can anyone tell me what the commute is like from south Durham to UNC-Chapel Hill? Seems like it is all highway driving?

Does anyone have any opinions on Carrboro? 'Ive seen several rentals that look nice and seem very convenient to UNC (within a 15 minute commute). Since I would have to use the park and ride option if I was to get a job at UNC, I think it would be good to live in Chapel Hill or as close as possible since I would still have to ride a bus to work. I would love to be able to walk or just take the bus to work but am willing to drive as long as it is no more than a 30 minute commute (preferably 15 minute commute or less).

Commute will depend on what part of Durham you're in. If you're coming from downtown, it will be about a 25 minute ride during rush hour, but it goes up to 45 once you factor in parking and getting to your building/office.

From Southpoint, it's about a 15 minute drive, again depending on exactly where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMtoRTP View Post
Yes the city has changed, as any city will over time. The crime problem hasn't though. They had 3 less murders in '09 than they did in '08. That's not much a difference.
3 less murders is not a big difference? That's a 12.5% decrease year-over-year.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
most people don't know where chapel hill ends and carrboro begins. they just run into each other literally across the railroad tracks. unfortunately most people see the old mill houses in the main area and think that is what carrboro is all about. so untrue. lots of great areas close to bus stops in chapel hill and carrboro.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:15 PM

16 posts, read 58,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptodream247 View Post
Well it seems like this thread has gotten off track with crime statistics of Durham. Since so Ive seen several people mention Durham in this and other threads, I may look into it as a possibility (such as the southern section as ILMtoRTP stated) but all depends on the commute. Can anyone tell me what the commute is like from south Durham to UNC-Chapel Hill? Seems like it is all highway driving?

Does anyone have any opinions on Carrboro? 'Ive seen several rentals that look nice and seem very convenient to UNC (within a 15 minute commute). Since I would have to use the park and ride option if I was to get a job at UNC, I think it would be good to live in Chapel Hill or as close as possible since I would still have to ride a bus to work. I would love to be able to walk or just take the bus to work but am willing to drive as long as it is no more than a 30 minute commute (preferably 15 minute commute or less).
Carrboro is essentially part of Chapel Hill. You really don't even realize when you have crossed over the line into Carrboro. Walking would be out but you could possibly ride a bike depending on several things. It certainly is much less of a commute than living in Durham.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:11 AM

929 posts, read 1,901,856 times
I grew up in Chapel Hill; it's a very convenient place to live. There is not much traffic (by metropolitan standards), but the town still has all of the amenities of a larger metro area. The town has a free bus system and a quaint yet relatively busy downtown.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMtoRTP View Post
You'd argue the sky was green just to keep arguing wouldn't you?

The number jumped by 4 homicides last year so yeah, I'll agree with you it's a huge difference... in the wrong direction.
According to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports, 2009 saw 21 murders, while 2010 saw 23. That sounds like 2 to me, but my math is a bit rusty.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
Chapel Hill is more and more becoming known as the liberal capital of the east coast. I'm not saying go or not, but I feel its becoming so liberal-minded in the lifestyle and even the governing of the town, it should be a factor you may want to consider.
I'm not sure I can agree with that statement. Chapel Hill is liberal, yes. I don't really see the further leftward trend you describe, however. And as for governing of the town, there has actually been a slight rightward shift on the town council in the past couple of town elections. Still a minority of the council, though, and a larger slate of five somewhat more conservative candidates met with only minimal success in the most recent election.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
If you are going to work in CH, then you should move to CH or Carborro. If you can't afford what you want in CH/C, then I'd move to Durham, probably South Durham. Chapel Hill is very liberal and you won't be able to escape that feeling, so if that isn't your thing, I'd look elsewhere. Durham is safe, unless you are a gang banger. In fact, the whole Triangle is safe, unless you are a gangbanger. I live in North Durham and my brother lives in South Chapel Hill. It takes me exactly 32 minutes to get to his house. Good Luck.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 AM

233 posts, read 269,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Chapel Hill is very liberal and you won't be able to escape that feeling, so if that isn't your thing, I'd look elsewhere.
IMO it's wrong to steer the OP away from CH because of how liberal it is. You won't be able to escape it? What does that mean in real terms of daily life? How is it really going to affect someone who is not liberal? I have liberal and conservative friends. We all like each other and get along great. I think with it being liberal it will just offer some things other places may not. You can choose to partake in those things or not. I don't think they will be coming after you to convert you...LOL.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:27 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I'm not sure I can agree with that statement. Chapel Hill is liberal, yes. I don't really see the further leftward trend you describe, however. And as for governing of the town, there has actually been a slight rightward shift on the town council in the past couple of town elections. Still a minority of the council, though, and a larger slate of five somewhat more conservative candidates met with only minimal success in the most recent election.
I totally agree with this. There's been a pretty big demographic shift in Chapel Hill over the last 20 years, moving it from a college town to more of a bedroom community for high income families. As such, there's an inevitable trend towards a more conservative lean. It's still the most liberal town in NC, but then it is not to hard to claim that prize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary