Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Did they remove the butts as evidence? Or save em to smoke later Sorry, couldn't resist! I would like to know...
Smoke 'em if you got 'em. lol.

Actually the cigarette butts were discovered shortly after the crime scene was released. They were found by friends and family members of the decedent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
OK, I'm a little rusty on this(used to be married to a LEO here). First, if it was a crime scene in Raleigh limits, CCBI investigates it WakeGOV.com - CCBI - City/County Bureau of Identification. Raleigh detectives will be involved but beat cops usually secure the scene. In the county, substitute sheriff's office for RPD. Smoking policy, I don't know the county's but I thought that RPD wasn't allowed to smoke in uniform. You can call a district and ask the desk sergeant.

Locate Police District Station - The Official City of Raleigh Portal
CCBI were called to the scene. Sheriff's office responded first, iirc, though.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
Well IIIII know that and YOU know that, but the idiots...errrr, I mean, people I'm debating with seem to be convinced two cigarette butts found were from Investigators who worked the crime scene.

Thinking of the Einsteins you are debating... IF, which I seriously doubt, the butts were from the investigators, then what does it matter whose butts they were? They are neither evidence nor incidental to the investigation. If the scene has been released then further contamination will occur naturally from people, things, animals, etc. LEO's don't preserve scenes for posterity They investigate and release/ re-open them.

I could understand arguing that butts were evidence missed...although who could miss them? But to argue that they were not incidental to the crime but found afterwards... is a moot point IMO.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:57 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,570 times
Quote:
Smoke 'em if you got 'em. lol.

Actually the cigarette butts were discovered shortly after the crime scene was released. They were found by friends and family members of the decedent.
If they were found AFTER the scene was released then there is no real way to say they were connected to the crime.

Wow....I totally feel like I'm in an episode of CSI....

*cue The Who*

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeah!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Thinking of the Einsteins you are debating... IF, which I seriously doubt, the butts were from the investigators, then what does it matter whose butts they were? They are neither evidence nor incidental to the investigation. If the scene has been released then further contamination will occur naturally from people, things, animals, etc. LEO's don't preserve scenes for posterity They investigate and release/ re-open them.

I could understand arguing that butts were evidence missed...although who could miss them? But to argue that they were not incidental to the crime but found afterwards... is a moot point IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
If they were found AFTER the scene was released then there is no real way to say they were connected to the crime.

Wow....I totally feel like I'm in an episode of CSI....

*cue The Who*

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeah!
It is being suggested they were missed during the crime scene investigation. After the crime scene was released and family was allowed back in, two cigarette butts were found. One in the garage, one just outside. The family also found a tooth of the decedent that CSI had missed. The tooth was found near or about where the body lay. So, if they missed a tooth the suggestion is they missed the cigarette butts. I argue that the cigarette butts would stand out like a sore thumb. But CSI apparently went over the room where the body was found with a fine tooth comb and missed a tooth? Weird.

The cigarette butts were turned over for forensics and it came back as DNA from two different males who could not be identified.

Gee, sorry. I didn't mean to turn this in to a "who done it". Really just wanted to know about the cigarette butts.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:20 AM

A thought...your thread question asks about RPD's smoking policy...but you said that the Sheriff's dept investigated. So RPD had nothing to do with this case - right? It's only the Sheriff's dept you wanted to ask about. Just wanted to clear it up or ask for clarification.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
It is being suggested they were missed during the crime scene investigation. After the crime scene was released and family was allowed back in, two cigarette butts were found. One in the garage, one just outside. The family also found a tooth of the decedent that CSI had missed. The tooth was found near or about where the body lay. So, if they missed a tooth the suggestion is they missed the cigarette butts. I argue that the cigarette butts would stand out like a sore thumb. But CSI apparently went over the room where the body was found with a fine tooth comb and missed a tooth? Weird.

The cigarette butts were turned over for forensics and it came back as DNA from two different males who could not be identified.

Gee, sorry. I didn't mean to turn this in to a "who done it". Really just wanted to know about the cigarette butts.
I was a CJ major in college and that never materialized into a career in law enforcement....so this is me putting my degree to SOME good use.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggjoe4181 View Post
i was a cj major in college and that never materialized into a career in law enforcement....so this is me putting my degree to some good use.
unc-c?

Old 08-13-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
A thought...your thread question asks about RPD's smoking policy...but you said that the Sheriff's dept investigated. So RPD had nothing to do with this case - right? It's only the Sheriff's dept you wanted to ask about. Just wanted to clear it up or ask for clarification.
Yes, sheriff's office. Sorry. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
I was a CJ major in college and that never materialized into a career in law enforcement....so this is me putting my degree to SOME good use.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
unc-c?
Appalachian State University

"who are you......who who...who who.....I really wanna know"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary