Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:30 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
It's a good question and a historic area of Wake Forest. I hope it gets more folks to look into the area around the 'town of Wake Forest' and not just the fancy subdivisons on the outskirts.

There are plans in the works (see the link in the other thread) to moderize the area you asked about......which if they come to pass would be great...but that is still a big if.

Please don't let one's person silly post about the name of the street derail the thread!!
Deflecting are we? I was making a sarcastic comment about the name of the street oh wise Wake Forest historian. My comment was about you stating a reason not to look into a community to live in was because the residents are BLACK and POOR, your words not mine.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:06 AM

237 posts, read 915,226 times
Default Both of you shut up

The facts are that poor black areas are always high in crime. I had a freind who used to live in a trailer park , and those white people ( which the park was all white ) where broke as they come , but the funny thing is there was not alot of crime there. Now for the friends of mine who are black and live in all black area ( which of course are poorer neighborhoods because they are the only group in the country that as a whole just can't sem to get there act together) . The crime there is off the wall. Most blacks just do not take pride in there house . I know there are alot of blacks that do , but when you have so many that don't, ever heard of one bad apple spoils the bunch. I have been in several nice areas of wake forest and there are always a few homes that are just completely neglected and than I see who comes out ,, and you can guess , they ant italian. No wonder know one wants us near them. What do you think in realestate the saying really means location , location , location . Near a lake , or 10 min. closer to work. You can not be that dumb it means not near the crime riden , poor ,bad schools. another words areas that are mostly black . I know the truth hurts especially because I am black.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Default Ok now the real $%#$^&* chime in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Where exactly are you speaking of? General rule of thumb...it's not the best part of Wake Forest...but it really depends exactly where.....it's near the historic district, the old mill town (between the historic homes and the tracks).

The DuBois area is the tradtionally poor and Black part of town. However, the community has gotten some grants to help fix up the area....so it's, as most things a work in progress...and has been for a long time.

You go further up North White street there are some nice subdivisions and city parks, new tennis courts, ball fields and dog park.
Ok Desdemona was trying to make a valid point, granted her wording could have been different. Tluv responded as much tongue in cheek but their discourse was of the appropriate intellectual level as highlighted by her quote. Now my worst fears have been realized and the low life is chiming in. TLuv let it go and Desdmona I am sure your insights are appreciated and were helpful.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:59 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Bull thnk of what your are saying. Do you really mean what you are saying? Not all poor areas of any race are full of crime. Poor nature makes home ownership difficult. The cost of owning a home in a trailer park is different then owning one in the city. Maintenance comes with ownership. The homes that are not properly maintained may house African Americans but the ownership may be someone else. The tennants in urban areas are often upset with the lack of responsiveness by their landlord. Do you know the race of the one you challenged? Do you know his homeownership status? His education level much on the surface from his quote suggests a higher level then. Do you know how neat his house is? The community he lives in? Perhaps he is Black and presents an image different then the one you want to portray in words. Remember let your deeds speak for you, for your words can make people think you are part of the problem you describe.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:54 AM

560 posts, read 2,849,720 times
I think now would be a good time for this thread to slowly drop off onto page 43 or so.

If tarp is still interested perhaps he/she should start a new thread where, hopefully the responses will be more tasteful.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:40 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,668 times
This is the worst thread that I've seen on here in a long time.
For I am a black 23 y/o black man with a degree who actually owns a brand new home and my yard is one of the nicest right down to the solar lights, I'm an active member on the home owners association, and most of my friends are what I like to call "affluent black folk", and instead of shopping at food lion and Walmart I shop at Harris Teeter and Target. People should not make should not make such large blanket statements and classify whole groups of people. I mean really what year is it again/ For in my neighborhood the worst looking yard is actually kept by a White family who always leaves there trash out way past trash day, constantly has the messy porch, and pushes the neighborhood covenants the most.

Bad homeowners and neighborhoods come in many colors and economic levels.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-15-2007 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: moderator call out statements not permitted

Old 08-15-2007, 01:20 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Ok Desdemona was trying to make a valid point, granted her wording could have been different. Tluv responded as much tongue in cheek but their discourse was of the appropriate intellectual level as highlighted by her quote. Now my worst fears have been realized and the low life is chiming in. TLuv let it go and Desdmona I am sure your insights are appreciated and were helpful.

Wording could have been different? I guess Don Imus could have worded it better and said "Women of color with tight corn rows who choose to sleep with people for money (or are garden tools whichever way he meant it). Do I truly think that Desdemona is a racist? No but do I also think that being that you are able to police yourself and edit, double check your words and make sure that you don't say anything slanderous some accountablilty needs to held. To group together "poor" and "black" and assume that both are negative really reflects on your personal decisions. Now that being said, from a financial standpoint are decisions made on home purchases based upon the color of your neighbors? Of course...people when buying a home are looking to A) be comfortable in their surroundings but also b) make a good investment and unfortunately while society sees living in a predominantly black neighborhood as being a slowing factor on appreciation it ain't never going to change.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:01 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Default in defense of Desdemona

Many of us have been posting for months (if not longer) on here & the boards become part of a big conversation. Many of us don't state our
bona fides in each post, knowing that many of our readers are reading our words in the context of all that has gone before.
Desdemona, dare I say it, could be classified (or her posts could be classified) as liberal & inclusive. I have never seen anything racist in her posts.

Sometimes when people use the word "poor" it is code for "black"
She said "poor & black" in that post.
Why?
Let me hazard a guess...
The subidvisions in Wake Forest are fairly integrated. You will see lots of affluent black families in gorgeous homes, with great lawns & landscaping. So, "poor" & "black" are not words that necessarily go together here.
The "poor" part describes the condition of the properties in that community
The "black" part describes the racial makeup, which, as she stated, is part of the long history of the area.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:17 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
Desdemona, first of all I want to thank you for your insight into this area. I had no idea that I would ignite such a controversial firestorm with this thread!

Old 08-15-2007, 04:07 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Many of us have been posting for months (if not longer) on here & the boards become part of a big conversation. Many of us don't state our
bona fides in each post, knowing that many of our readers are reading our words in the context of all that has gone before.
Desdemona, dare I say it, could be classified (or her posts could be classified) as liberal & inclusive. I have never seen anything racist in her posts.

Sometimes when people use the word "poor" it is code for "black"
She said "poor & black" in that post.
Why?
Let me hazard a guess...
The subdivisions in Wake Forest are fairly integrated. You will see lots of affluent black families in gorgeous homes, with great lawns & landscaping. So, "poor" & "black" are not words that necessarily go together here.
The "poor" part describes the condition of the properties in that community
The "black" part describes the racial makeup, which, as she stated, is part of the long history of the area.
Thank you for understanding where I was coming from. I admit to being a bit shocked that some folks would get so upset...but then I guess I shouldn't. Modern Wake Forest, for those that have the cash, pretty much is easy going to about skin color and cultural heritage....but I am just not sure how you can talk about that area without mentioning it's history and how the homes developed there.

It is a historic area for a variety of reasons...but it's not going to have the nice large fancy homes from other other side of the tracks (literally...it's not a euphemism for anything!)...it's the 'counter point' if you will. Some of the homes are just as old...but they were built for a very different group of families.

Yes, 'poor' is often a code word for minorities...which is why I tried very hard to use the 'and' between them (because they are not the same) and provide the history of the area ....it's quite interesting...and pretty different then anything I knew of in my Ohio town (the poor/run down/high rental area of that town was built had temp housing after WWII....(for Whites)...temp housing that is still in use!).

I guess you just can't make everyone happy now matter what you do or say. I just tried to show where the area came from, what it is and the plans for the improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary