Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:30 PM

35 posts, read 124,876 times

Advertisements

I just got a water bill fro $900.00! The city of Raleigh said that it might help if I have a second water meter installed. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it save a lot of money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 01:46 PM

146 posts, read 691,197 times
Do you have an irrigation system? If so, you can put that water on a second meter, and then it will classify as sewer-exempt, which can save a lot of money.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:46 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2u View Post
I just got a water bill fro $900.00! The city of Raleigh said that it might help if I have a second water meter installed. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it save a lot of money?
All I can say is dizzam. How much water did it say you used? I am not sure how a second water meter would work but have you been filling pools or something or do you have 45 people in your house? That sounds like the water bill a hotel should have or is your water made of gold? In all seriousness unless you usually use a large amount of water (watering your grass, plants DRIVEWAY you should look into the fact you may have a leak, otherwise I don't know what a second meter could do.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:48 PM

560 posts, read 2,849,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2u View Post
$900.00! Did you do anything out of the norm? Leave a sprinkler on for a week or two? Is there any explanation?

I feel so bad for you, please tell us more so maybe we can help!!

Old 08-16-2007, 01:51 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times
Why would they suggest a second meter? Do you have an irrigation system?And what is the average bill you usually receive?

Otherwise, assuming you are a homeowner, check your toilets for leaks, and everything else after that for running water. Monitor your meter if you can.

If you cannot find running water or anything you might suggest to them to replace your water meter,

Old 08-16-2007, 01:59 PM

250 posts, read 1,246,057 times
I agree that it is likely that you may have a leak. Here is a link to a site (non-local but should do you) that shows you how to test for leaks

Old 08-16-2007, 02:07 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
Holy Water Bill, Batman! If you didn't mistype that number, then I would be looking for a water leak somewhere. I can't imagine using enough water to even approach that number.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:46 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
wow...I've never heard of a bill that high! If it WAS a leak or something, I believe you can ask to have your bill pro-rated. We once had a pipe burst under the house while we were on vacation and no one noticed it for some time because it wa sin the back of the house and we didn't have a back yard neighbor. Even then, with water literally gushing out for several days, it was only like $300.00 and they did pro-rate the bill for us. They might be more anal about it now though due to the water restrictions, but it can't hurt to ask.
What exactly is a second meter supposed to do?

I just can't figure out how a bill came to that much in an ordinary home even if you watered your lawn all day long. I would seriously check for mistakes and/or contest it.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:07 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
We live in Cary and have a second meter for irrigation (which cost about $700). I figure it saves us roughly $60/month when we use the irrigation system because we don't pay sewer charges on that water (although Cary charges a higher rate for water for irrigation). I'm not sure this is your issue though.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:16 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,566 times
It could also be that they simply misread your meter. Your bill should have your last meter reading and your current meter reading. Go out to the meter and see if your current meter reading is close to their current meter reading. If you read a lower number than what's on the bill, they probably reversed a number when they recorded it.

Doing some rough calculations based on our water bill, we would have to run our irrigation system twice a day every day for a month to even get close to your bill. Sounds like it's either a leak or a misreading of the meter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary