Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:15 PM

26 posts, read 95,409 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be taking a trip to Raleigh/Wake Forest at the end of this month. We are planning to be there Friday 9/1 and leave Monday 9/4 or maybe Tuesday. Originally we were thinking about looking for homes to get a better idea of the house market, but after seeing so many homes online, we are confident that finding the right home (when the time comes, since we wouldn't move until next summer) would be somewhat of an easy task. At this point our intention is to get as much of a feel as we can on what it would be to live there. We plan to drive around, talk to people in schools, go to the parks and talk to other moms, visit surrounding towns, do some shopping, and attend one or two churches. Any other suggestions on what else to do that weekend? Any activity where we could meet more people (concerts, picnincs, etc.)? Thanks.

Sergio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 05:39 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
See the sights downtown---the museums, art galleries, restaurants, historical sites, etc.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:25 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,388 times
Serge,

Take the family out to the North Carolina Farmers Market for breakfast(great breakfast) than walk through all the stands at the market. It will give you a taste of the local produce. Then on the weekend you can stroll through the NC State Flea market at the fairs grounds, another family thing thats fun to do. As far as shopping, its everywhere. You can walk Umpstead Park, Shelly Lake, Lake Lynn for excercise. Go to falls too and go into Beaver dam area. There is a picnic area there as well as a beach. This side of the lake doesn't allow motor boats. If you want the motor boat side, go to Sandling Beach across the road. There is just so much to do here its hard to tell you everything. If yoou want a great restaurant, let me know what type of food you like and I could refer one. How old are the kids again? Churches are on every corner just about, so you won't have a problem finding that. Good luck to you and have fun on your trip here.

Regards,

Debbie

Old 08-22-2006, 08:56 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,404 times
Debbie, I too am planning a trip to the Raleigh area (October) and am interested in the Farmers Market. Will it still be open then and if so, where is it located? I would also like some restaurant info if you would be so kind. Don't want any chains, just some good local establishments. We like Italian (prefer northern without the red sauce), Indian, Thai, continental with inventive menus and I like really great bar-b-que. Can you make some suggestions?

Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Redrover

I know people from here can get into the best barbeque, so I want to be first to add that HOLDEN'S barbeque on capital blvd (north of wake forest) is excellent. all of the sides are excellent, they bring a pitcher of sweet tea to every table (a must with bbque), it is the traditional eastern vinegar based bbque, and this place may look "plain" on the outside, but it is wonderful.

the information for it:
Holden's Barbeque and Catering Ser.
Neil Holden
582 Us Hwy. 1
Youngsville , NC 27596
Phone: 919-556-3607
Fax: 919-556-6530

they are only open until 2pm every day.

good luck and have fun with the visit!

leigh

Old 08-22-2006, 11:25 AM

24 posts, read 73,604 times
Default location of farmer's market

I believe it's at:

1201 Agriculture St.
Raleigh, North Carolina 27603
Phone: 919-733-7417

More info can be found on the web at the NC Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services website. Based on their calendar of events and availablity chart of what produce is available when, it does appear to be open year round, but I'm not sre about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I too am planning a trip to the Raleigh area (October) and am interested in the Farmers Market. Will it still be open then and if so, where is it located?

Old 08-22-2006, 09:45 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,388 times
Thanks bookworm, and I think the best time to go to the Farmers Market is in the fall, for all the autumn decorations,pumpkins,gourds,etc.... Really puts you in the holiday mood. As far as Italian food, try Nina's Italian Retaurant on Strickland in the Lowes Foods shopping center. Great Italian, and very authentic. She is from New York City, and has brought her Nina's to us here in Raleigh. I for one am so glad she did, one of myfavorites. There is a really good Indian restaurant in the Brier Creek shopping center called Azira ( I believe thats right) If you like Brazilian food, there is Brazza in Brier Creek also. I went tonight and it was wonderful. My dessert was to die for. If you want to go downtown Raleigh on Glenwood, try Sullivans or Bogarts, both great places to eat. For Korean Barbeque, try a hole in the wall place called the Bali Hai on Old Wake Forest Road for some great food, and real cheap. Have fun exploring the area. If I can help you with anything else,don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Debbie

Old 08-23-2006, 07:24 AM

37 posts, read 167,254 times
Wow Debbie you sure know your food. So glad to see there is just a variety! mu husband and I went to Raleigh two weekends ago and spent most of our time in the Car driving around and getting to see the neighborhoods we like. we decided that downtown is best for us becuase you can actually walk to places. I mean this driving everywhere is for the birds! I am a city chick and like to be near everything (i grew up in NYC and we live in Boston) We actually decided to rent first so that we can really get to know the area. and then buy! My best Suggestion to you Serge is try find something close to where your family will be working and going to school so that you can spend the best years of your lives with each other and not stuck in traffic commuting. good luck!

Old 08-23-2006, 07:43 AM

7 posts, read 18,611 times
We're also coming to Raleigh in October & I appreciate the great ideas. Is the Chatham winery in Morrisville a good stop? I'm just the opposite of Quateek - a country girl - so any suggestions for the Falls of Neuse area? Thanks! Mary

Old 08-23-2006, 09:51 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,404 times
mtyler, where are you now and when are you visiting Raleigh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary