Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times

Advertisements

...and this thread has come in handy again. I had a washer and dryer delivered yesterday. Down a flight and a half of stairs, and into an area where the hookups were backwards. The guys (from Lowes in Apex) took time to reverse the order of the washer and dryer, having to criss-cross vents and lines (no biggy, but made it so that doors worked as they should, open-to-open sides), they tested everything, and then took time to show me how the controls worked. ONly took a few extra minutes, but it was nice of them to do. They got a $20 tip.

And I asked them if they were allowed to accept tips, and they were very polite and professional about it. THey said that it is totally optional, and if customers felt like leaving a tip, they were much appreciated. (They were very careful to NEVER make it sound like it was accepted....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 07:54 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
I think this needs to be mentioned. Now I'm reading a question about how much to tip the workmen. Hairdressers, pizza guys, appliance guys, tree guys, lawn guys, mattress guys, gutter cleaners, window cleaners, screened porch builders, roofers, painters, mailmen, UPS men, nail girls, furniture guys, car wash guys, coffee girls, dog groomers, urologist, and bartenders were all mentioned in the linked thread as people who receive tips.

Here's my problem with this topic. Not one single person mentioned tipping a TEACHER or POLICE OFFICER (FYI-I'm neither.). Any person who will endure the tedious task of putting up with these out of control "give me" youth of today and trying to give them an education or will put their life ahead of yours by taking a bullet for you without even knowing you SHOULD BE RECEIVING TIPS.

Oh, wait a second, I was criticized in that thread for making a statement that a pizza guy shouldn't receive tips since he isn't forced to do the job so we shouldn't tip teachers and cops either since they aren't forced to their jobs. Carry on, folks. Keep tipping the people that matter.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:20 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I think this needs to be mentioned. Now I'm reading a question about how much to tip the workmen. Hairdressers, pizza guys, appliance guys, tree guys, lawn guys, mattress guys, gutter cleaners, window cleaners, screened porch builders, roofers, painters, mailmen, UPS men, nail girls, furniture guys, car wash guys, coffee girls, dog groomers, urologist, and bartenders were all mentioned in the linked thread as people who receive tips.

Here's my problem with this topic. Not one single person mentioned tipping a TEACHER or POLICE OFFICER (FYI-I'm neither.). Any person who will endure the tedious task of putting up with these out of control "give me" youth of today and trying to give them an education or will put their life ahead of yours by taking a bullet for you without even knowing you SHOULD BE RECEIVING TIPS.

Oh, wait a second, I was criticized in that thread for making a statement that a pizza guy shouldn't receive tips since he isn't forced to do the job so we shouldn't tip teachers and cops either since they aren't forced to their jobs. Carry on, folks. Keep tipping the people that matter.
A little bit off topic, but I'll bite:

I think your heart and mind are in the right place, but here is where we part ways. The pizza guy (I think), and the restaurant server (I know) are compensated by tips. In otherwords, that is how they get paid, and it is part of the deal. As a customer, if you go to a restaurant, which is optional, then you are basically accepting the tradition of tipping. This is not the case with the appliance delivery guy, the tree guy or others. For them, tipping is optional.

But to your point, I would say that you are 100% correct that our priorities as a society are wrong that teachers and police officers are paid as little as they are, but that is not really related to wether or not the pizza guy gets a few bucks to delivery your anchovies and extra cheese. If you want to do something about the people that matter (and I FULLY agree with you on your priorities), then get involved in electing local and state politicians who care. If you want to divert the money to where it belongs, then quit (or continue to "not") going to sporting events, concerts and movies that support people being paid millions for jobs that (IMO) are not as important, or at LEAST support those people who give back.

I personally think it is beyond disgusting that some drop-out can skip college and make millions in the NBA, the NFL, NASCAR or whathaveyou, can get away with all kinds of things that others can't, and make more in one hour than a teacher makes in a year, all the while setting a horrible example for our kids. Someone explain to me how Miley Cyrus, or Dennis Rodman (Sorry, I've ignored basketball for LONG time) or Plexico Burris is a better role model than someone who is in school every day teaching values and ethics while also giving your kids the tools they need to compete on a global market...

I agree, but I believe your logic is misguided if you think stiffing the pizza guy is the solution.

(Sorry, long day, and I'm tired.)

Respectfully submitted, but not proofread,

~Matt

Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
Never! The only people I tip are servers or people in the food service be it a restaurant or pizza deliverly dude. The help originally mentioned makes good enough money and should be trained not to accept tips? At least every job I've had I was taught not to. I don't mean to sound cold but if you tip everyone, where does it stop? Do you tip every homeless person at an intersection? I'm a firm believer in the AGG principle.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 PM

413 posts, read 877,662 times
Default Tipping

I fed and tipped 10 % of labor costs to carpet installers who were here
for 3 hours . The mattress installers(who took under 10 minutes) I gave snacks, but did not tip. The store charged $80
for delivery, so assumed that they were well paid. Maybe not?

Old 09-10-2011, 11:48 AM

248 posts, read 754,248 times
@underpsi police do get tips because they know which place wil "do the right thing" meaning getting discounts that the general public doesn't get.

Pizza deliver drivers depend on tips

Trades people usually don't get tipped but we sure do appreciate them when we do

Old 09-10-2011, 12:50 PM

162 posts, read 734,674 times
I didn't mean to start a debate on who should & should not get tipped. Just curious as how to things were done here. I did tip the gentleman who worked on my house. I checked out their work & they went above the normal expectation.

Thanks for the answers to my original question.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:19 PM

278 posts, read 576,842 times
When I hire someone to do work they state their price bring me an itemized bill and I pay that amount. I assume he included the cost of his helps pay in the bill. In the case of a hairdresser if they do something beyond the requested things then I will tip. To say you went out of your way today. I tip pizza people and wait staff. The wait staff percentage is decide by level of attention, it is not an automatic amount. I want a tip to be appreciated not expected.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:22 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I know I commented in the original thread but am not going back to proofread so I don't know if I mentioned this or not...but...I recently took 2 cats to be groomed and the total was over $100. They did a great job and I knew it was going to be about that price so it wasn't a surprise to me but I thought about tipping and then thought that the price seemed high enough that I didn't need to tip. Maybe I'm wrong but sometimes I let the price determine if I tip or not.

Vicki

Old 09-10-2011, 04:45 PM

278 posts, read 467,519 times
I could not imagine tipping workmen, who are already paid by their company.

I tip generously for those who work for tips. Waitresses, bartenders, barbers, valets, etc.

Sometimes people might do extra work for you that is not part of the original deal and you can give them something for their time. There is no reason to tip anyone else, but if you want to hand out money go ahead it will be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary