Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:55 PM

334 posts, read 867,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
What do you mean get ready for more...? I've lived in the Triangle area almost two decades and have never seen a Confederate flag. Okay, maybe one.

In comparison, when I went to South Carolina once, I saw an entire parking lot full of confederate flags on pickup trucks in the Walmart parking lot.

But the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary) does not have that kind of environment.

Thank goodness.
Just for you I am going to fly my Confederate flag all weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 06:17 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,137 times
I have had the sweetest interracial couple ever as clients that bought in Hillsbourough, but I had to think about that for a minute. I didn't even realize that they were different, except one was male and one was female. ;-) Really there will always be those people with problems about that, but I really think anything goes here and you see all kinds of different people together. That is what is sooo wonderful to me anyway about this area. Wish I could get a bus (several maybe) and transport those people that have issues with that sort of thing. :-) Really You'll be fine in this area. I am from Ct and love love love Boston if I could handle the cold. I also love San Francisco, but I can say I love where I live in NC.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 PM

735 posts, read 1,584,846 times
Non-issue here. My neighbor is black and his wife is white. My sister is white and married to a hispanic. Again, non-issue

Old 09-29-2011, 10:36 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
What do you mean get ready for more...? I've lived in the Triangle area almost two decades and have never seen a Confederate flag. Okay, maybe one.

In comparison, when I went to South Carolina once, I saw an entire parking lot full of confederate flags on pickup trucks in the Walmart parking lot.

But the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary) does not have that kind of environment.

Thank goodness.
More than he has seen previously. Obviously there are more in the south than Boston/San Fran as it is a southern symbol. I see a lot more now than when I moved here 3 years ago and while I may be speaking more about Johnstonn County/Clayton I have seen them in Cary. Perhaps I am more senstive to noticing them.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:41 PM

Food for thought. The OP is overlapping both interracial and corporate sort which probably means well educated. Just consider the current political climate and the resentment on the part of some towards those who are well educated with an overlap of affluence. Add the racial component on top of it and while you won't notice anything different in Whole Foods/Cary you might elsewhere. As with many things it is location/location and where within a given location. Also the age of the couple can make a difference. As many would say it is much more common today than a couple of decades ago. Is this also true in the Triangle? If so a couple in their 60's might be more of a curiosity than a couple in their 20's etc etc etc. As would a couple married 40 years compared to one married five.

Last edited by TuborgP; 09-29-2011 at 11:03 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 01:30 PM

527 posts, read 686,940 times
You should have no problem.

I date a white guy, and we don't really have much of a problem, save for a few side eyes we get from older white people when we go out to eat sometimes. But no one has said a word. Good luck, Raleigh's a nice town.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
We have several interracial couples in my North Raleigh apartment community. No issues.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:07 PM

38 posts, read 151,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
You should have no problem.

I date a white guy, and we don't really have much of a problem, save for a few side eyes we get from older white people when we go out to eat sometimes. But no one has said a word. Good luck, Raleigh's a nice town.
Same here Caarmour....One question though. Do the waitstaff always ask you guys 1.) are you together? 2.) is this on one check? This is always annoying to us because we have our daughter with us and it is like we found my husband in the parking lot or something.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:57 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
You won't have an issue. There are many interacial couples in the Triangle.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb72 View Post
Same here Caarmour....One question though. Do the waitstaff always ask you guys 1.) are you together? 2.) is this on one check? This is always annoying to us because we have our daughter with us and it is like we found my husband in the parking lot or something.
We have had that happen but it was usually at lunch so I wondered if it was a lunch colleagues going out thing. In your case the kid thing is sorta odd. I get a lot more reaction with my grandaughter than wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary