Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 AM

11 posts, read 27,385 times

Advertisements

Does anyone either have deer antlers they may have found in the woods or through hunting that they are willing to sell/give away? I used to purchase them for my dog to chew on back in PA but haven't found a good place here to pick them up. My dog loves them and they last for a lot longer than any chewy. I think they also help keep her teeth clean.

If so please shoot me a message. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 10:41 AM

477 posts, read 1,418,578 times
They carry them at Unleashed in the Lake Boone Shopping Center near Rex Hospital.
BodyParts

Old 10-14-2011, 11:28 AM

169 posts, read 574,515 times
I recently saw an ad on craigslist for deer antlers for dogs. Just search the sale section for "antlers" and the ad should come up. I don't know if they are selling them for a good price or not - I've never bought or even considered them for our dogs before so the ad caught my attention.
Good luck!

Old 10-14-2011, 03:13 PM

699 posts, read 1,705,773 times
One of our dogs loves to chew antlers. Will go after them for hours. We are paying about twice what this man is charging at Phydeaux and through Pet Pantry.

Which is about right. Usually retail places charge double the item cost to cover overhead and profit.

Thanks for posting polarbear3. I've already emailed the guy.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
They also sell them at the pet store that is next to the Kroger at the corner of Strickland and Falls of Neuse.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:58 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
LMAO at the link for "body parts" :P

Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,212 times
We usually got ours from the non-chain pet stores like The Pet Pad or Paws in the City in Cary, or Pet Mania in Holly Springs. When we went to Unleashed in Raleigh (Lake Boone Trail & Wycliff), they seemed to have longer and larger antlers sold loose (not in any netting/packaging) for a better price than the other places. Also, not just deer antlers but elk antlers, which seemed to be substantially thicker in diameter (though pricier) so if you had a larger dog or more 'active' chewer they might be the ones to get. (Traveling from Fuquay, we're sure to pick up a few to have them on hand for when they eventually wear down.)

On an aside, since it's now 'the season' for seeing so many that unfortunately failed in the battle with a four-wheeled vehicle on various local roads, maybe I should just cut out the middle man myself and keep a hacksaw in the car for some less than savory 'recovery'?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
Phydeaux in Seaboard Station in Raleigh has a number of antler-based chewing products. I'm always worried my dog will swallow the entire thing (he ate a footlong from Subway in one bite...) but they have a good selection.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:49 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
also there's a deer about 1 mile before the Glenwood Exit on 440 W thats been there about a week. I don't think he needs his antlers anymore

Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 PM

699 posts, read 1,705,773 times
Picked up a bunch of antler dog chews from the guy on Craigslist. He's is a patrol officer with the Sheriff's Dept. moved here from Colorado with a bunch of mule deer antler sheds that he and his wife found while hiking around. He cuts them and grinds the ends smooth. Price was right and dogs just love them.

As he has a finite supply, as they are not gathering them any longer. So if you are interested, sooner would be better than later. Clear out in the country. Took us an hour to get there. Beautiful drive though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary