Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 6,627 times

Advertisements

We are planning to retire next year and leave the Washington DC area. We are looking for a small (2+) bedroom house with a garage in either Raleigh or Wilmington. We have a farm in south central VA and want to split our time between the farm and a city atmosphere. Looking for a walkable neighborhood, close to dining, cafes, events. Pros of living in Raleigh are that we would be under 2 hours from the farm and have the hospitals, airport, and big city conveniences. Pros of Wilmington are the ocean and really great houses for an affordable price. My husband and I enjoy biking and kayaking and Wilmington would provide an abundance of oppruntunity to indulge. We want to spend no more than $325,000 and want a new, low-maintenance house. Saw one that I liked in Mordecai in Raleigh but don't know how walkable, safe the neighborhood is. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 12:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
personally I'd choose Wilmington.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:14 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenning View Post
Looking for a walkable neighborhood, close to dining, cafes, events...We want to spend no more than $325,000 and want a new, low-maintenance house. Saw one that I liked in Mordecai in Raleigh but don't know how walkable, safe the neighborhood is. Any advice?
I am confused about your goals. You say you want a walkable neigborhood, and mention Mordecai, which is a historic neighborhood. On the other hand, you mention a low-priced, new, low-maintenance house. The two don't sound compatible, as new homes are typically in suburban neighborhoods where you have to drive. Are you really looking for a "neo-traditional" neighborhood? A community like Heritage Wake Forest has been mentioned as a good area for retirees-- try searching the Raleigh forum for "retirees". Raleigh, of course has lots to do. You might check the Falls of Neuse area in North Raleigh which has a high walkability score.

Or, are you looking for a retiree-friendly area like Leland, near Wilmington? Leland is only somewhat walkable, but is safe and has plenty of things to do, and it has lots of retirement-oriented housing in places like Magnolia Greens. Looking around at both areas will help you clarify your goals.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-23-2011 at 02:05 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Saw one that I liked in Mordecai in Raleigh but don't know how walkable, safe the neighborhood is. Any advice?
Are you speaking of the townhouses in Mordecai Towne Place? Or the ones nearby on Yarborough Park Drive? I'd check the police reports.

Personally, I would have to love living in the city to buy there. They are close to the railroad track and the highway, and don't really look walkable to me. The one for sale has declined in sales price, and there is one for rent. In your situation, I would rent for at least a year, and see whether I really liked city living.

I was trying to think of Bedford at Falls Village as the neo-traditional community off Falls of Neuse Road. It has some cute cottage style homes in the lower $200's.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-25-2011 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: No links to real estate properties for sale -- you may post the MLS # only.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:55 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
personally i'd choose wilmington.
+1

Old 10-23-2011, 05:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
We are planning to retire next year and leave the Washington DC area. We are looking for a small (2+) bedroom house with a garage in either Raleigh or Wilmington. We have a farm in south central VA and want to split our time between the farm and a city atmosphere. Looking for a walkable neighborhood, close to dining, cafes, events. Pros of living in Raleigh are that we would be under 2 hours from the farm and have the hospitals, airport, and big city conveniences. Pros of Wilmington are the ocean and really great houses for an affordable price. My husband and I enjoy biking and kayaking and Wilmington would provide an abundance of oppruntunity to indulge. We want to spend no more than $325,000 and want a new, low-maintenance house. Saw one that I liked in Mordecai in Raleigh but don't know how walkable, safe the neighborhood is. Any advice?
The challenge you will have in both areas is finding a new home in one of the better walkable communities for your price. While $325K will probably buy you what you the size you seek in either city, it won't go far with new construction single family homes in either.

Mordecai is sort of walkable but it's not the best location for walking in Raleigh. A hidden gem for single family homes is just north of Peace Street between Glenwood Ave. and St. Mary's Streets. Unfortunately, it's a very old neighborhood and the best you will do is to find something completely rehabbed. But, from there, you can walk to all sorts of things and the free Rline circulator bus for all of DT is just a few blocks away. Most everything you will find in DT Raleigh in your price range (that's new) will be multifamily. You can pick up a very nice 2 bedroom condo for that price or less but I don't know if that's what you'd like.
I love Wilmington but I don't know if I could live there. It's a bit small for me. It's the sort of place that I'd have a weekend getaway home. As you probably already know, its DT is very walkable and charming but it does lack bigger city amenities and events. Its shopping is also somewhat limited in comparison to Raleigh. But, if you really like the water, then it's a really good choice. Plus, being in the flatlands, the cycling is probably easier to manage. Winters are pretty slow there as it's somewhat of a seasonal town.
If Raleigh is 2 hours from your farm, then it's smack dab in the middle between your farm and the beach because Raleigh is also 2 hours from Wilmington. That may or may not be a factor for you. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
It's a matter of preference. If it was up to me, I would move to the Raleigh area and drive to the beach for getaways. Wilmington is ok to visit, but I would not want to live there full-time. You mentioned affordability and Wilmington is far from affordable unless you live in a less desireable area outside of the city itself. The taxes are very high, homes are expensive (comperable to N. Raleigh and Cary prices), crime rate is high for it's population, as well as high homeowners insurance due to proximity to the beach.

Just be prepared for the high cost of living associated with living in Wilmington. You should check out the coastal nc thread titled "steer clear of Wilmington". There are over 100 responses about Wilmington in that thread alone. Best of luck.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
It's a matter of preference. If it was up to me, I would move to the Raleigh area and drive to the beach for getaways.
Based on what the OP said, I also felt they would be more comfortable in Raleigh. I have had the chance to have two residences, and the moving between them gets old fast. Since the OP's farm was only two hours from Raleigh, I felt that would be the better choice.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:40 PM

278 posts, read 467,777 times
Quote:
We want to spend no more than $325,000 and want a new, low-maintenance house. Saw one that I liked in Mordecai in Raleigh but don't know how walkable, safe the neighborhood is. Any advice?
The options for housing are limited and the choices for dining and shopping are very limited. Crime starts just to the east.

In your situation I would be looking at condos in the Wilmington area. This presents more options for activities, events, dining and shopping. Consider it: a stand alone house presents hassles and you already have a farm to hassle you.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:42 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtta View Post
In your situation I would be looking at condos in the Wilmington area. This presents more options for activities, events, dining and shopping. Consider it: a stand alone house presents hassles and you already have a farm to hassle you.
There are some good condos and infill townhouse in historic Wilmington. I don't know about price ranges though. I love Historic Wilmington for it's walkability, shops, restaurants, being a river front community, and it's Southern Charm but infusion of new folks and new idea. But I absolutely HATE it for traffic. You will laugh at this comment coming from DC.

I grew up about 45 mins from Wilmington and while I live most of the last 25 years on the west coast and the last four in Durham, I always made it back for yearly visits. And Wilmington just seemed to mess up their roads more every year. It seems the city out paced the roads and the solution was cobbled together. So definitely talk to locals about the roads. Because eventually you'll have to leave charming downtown to get to the grocery store.

Good luck with the move. You might want to consider Downtown Durham too. The Tobacco District has some great converted lofts. Or your price range you could find a cute bungalow in a safe neighborhood. You'll find lots of young families as well as older Duke Profs etc in those n'hoods. And you will be closer to VA.

Have fun looking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary