Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:48 AM

554 posts, read 1,156,119 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

so we've been here in Cary for 8 months and leasing a house in the Brookstone subdivision. It's been GREAT for the kids, a toddler and 6 year old. There is the neighborhood pool, other kids, safe street for riding bikes, etc. I love the elementary school and general feel of the area.

HOWEVER.

We also have small dogs. They bark. And in this neighborhood we have four other houses/yards backing up to the one we lease. I manage the barking by letting the dogs out one at a time, calling them right back in if they start yapping at a neighbor dog or squirrel, etc. They are never left alone outside, they don't bark early morning or late night because I am VERY careful to manage this. But it's exhausting. I want more space, fewer neighbors, and a bit of open grassy space to set up my agility training stuff.

I have come to HATE wooded lots. Leaves, acorns, gum tree ball, etc. All easily hide small dog poops making it very difficult to clean up after them. There are more mosquitos with bushes/trees. It's more yard work .

In an absolutely ideal world I'd love an acre (or more!!!), mostly clear lot (or at least no trees right near the house), neighborhood with kids (neighborhood pool bonus) and decent schools, and no restrictions on chickens, hanging laundry, and the odd piece of agility equippment sitting in the yard. We would like 2500 sq ft or more. No more than 30 minute commute to Morrisville. All for $350K or less. Does this exist?

I've seen some houses in the Hallmark neighborhood of Apex/Holly Spring that come close. But I guess the question is where exactly the new 540 will be going?

I'd love suggestions. We are in this lease until May, and honestly don't feel any great NEED to buy. I'm just getting anxious with the dogs and lack of space to train them. And I hate the wooded lot. But otherwise, we would (and may) stay here a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 06:06 AM

1,486 posts, read 4,159,368 times
Default no hoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Hi all,

so we've been here in Cary for 8 months and leasing a house in the Brookstone subdivision. It's been GREAT for the kids, a toddler and 6 year old. There is the neighborhood pool, other kids, safe street for riding bikes, etc. I love the elementary school and general feel of the area.

HOWEVER.

We also have small dogs. They bark. And in this neighborhood we have four other houses/yards backing up to the one we lease. I manage the barking by letting the dogs out one at a time, calling them right back in if they start yapping at a neighbor dog or squirrel, etc. They are never left alone outside, they don't bark early morning or late night because I am VERY careful to manage this. But it's exhausting. I want more space, fewer neighbors, and a bit of open grassy space to set up my agility training stuff.

I have come to HATE wooded lots. Leaves, acorns, gum tree ball, etc. All easily hide small dog poops making it very difficult to clean up after them. There are more mosquitos with bushes/trees. It's more yard work .

In an absolutely ideal world I'd love an acre (or more!!!), mostly clear lot (or at least no trees right near the house), neighborhood with kids (neighborhood pool bonus) and decent schools, and no restrictions on chickens, hanging laundry, and the odd piece of agility equippment sitting in the yard. We would like 2500 sq ft or more. No more than 30 minute commute to Morrisville. All for $350K or less. Does this exist?

I've seen some houses in the Hallmark neighborhood of Apex/Holly Spring that come close. But I guess the question is where exactly the new 540 will be going?

I'd love suggestions. We are in this lease until May, and honestly don't feel any great NEED to buy. I'm just getting anxious with the dogs and lack of space to train them. And I hate the wooded lot. But otherwise, we would (and may) stay here a while.
I will say that at a min. you need someplace without an HOA so start looking at older subdivisions or single piece of land. Be aware that you will most likely have alot less kids in these types of subdivisions. 540 will be very close to Hallmark but not through it...

Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,866,029 times
Agree with pp - anyplace with a neighborhood pool (a la Brookstone) is probably going to have an HOA, unless it's an older subdivision, and while I am by NO MEANS an expert, most of those areas are pretty wooded because they've been around awhile. I think you may have to "give" on some of your wants. I'm pretty sure you aren't getting an acre with all those other requirements that close to Morrisville. If I am not mistaken new subdivisions are required to have an HOA, I think I read that on a thread once here on CD.

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I will say that at a min. you need someplace without an HOA so start looking at older subdivisions or single piece of land. Be aware that you will most likely have alot less kids in these types of subdivisions. 540 will be very close to Hallmark but not through it...
It is so difficult to balance the needs of kids and dogs

How close is "very close" in reference to Hallmark and 540? See it? Hear it? I'd be ok with the latter but not the former.

Any other suggestions if we drop the chicken requirement? What about half acre lots? I'm finding several homes in the older parts of Cary that we really like but they are all heavily wooded.

Wake Forest seems to have options but that commute to Morrisville isn't ideal.

I've looked around at Durham as well, but the prices actually seem higher for the same quality house I'm seeing in Cary and Apex. I thought it would be lower?

Anyway, I realize I am asking for the moon! Just want to get close, is all!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:20 AM

43,365 posts, read 77,261,969 times
This is a big map, with some good detail, if you download and zoom in:
NCDOT: Triangle Expressway Southeast Extension

I believe you would hear 540 in Hallmark, but I wonder if it would be visible, even in the southernmost streets of the neighborhood?
And Hallmark is about half a mile long, from north to south, so being in the upper end would greatly reduce the impact of the highway.
In Hallmark West, I think terrain and woods, and development would certainly conceal 540 visually.

The map shows an interchange at the junction of Holly Springs and of Kildaire Farm Roads with 540. I would want to see details of that design, too, to guess at the wider effect of the roadway impact.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
This is a big map, with some good detail, if you download and zoom in:
NCDOT: Triangle Expressway Southeast Extension

I believe you would hear 540 in Hallmark, but I wonder if it would be visible, even in the southernmost streets of the neighborhood?
And Hallmark is about half a mile long, from north to south, so being in the upper end would greatly reduce the impact of the highway.
In Hallmark West, I think terrain and woods, and development would certainly conceal 540 visually.

The map shows an interchange at the junction of Holly Springs and of Kildaire Farm Roads with 540. I would want to see details of that design, too, to guess at the wider effect of the roadway impact.
Thanks for this link and your thoughts!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:08 PM

1,486 posts, read 4,159,368 times
Default agree

I agree with Mike.
i would think you would hear and see 540 from there, how much I dont know. Also think about traffic at the interchange.

You would be looking for older subdivisions and out of city limit locations. I would use an agent since it requires alot of research.

dont give up things that will make you less happy, lots of homes for sale.
Also remember whoever long it takes to get from point a to b in wake county, it will only take longer as time goes by.

Also if funds allow, what about removing trees from an otherwise good house? Its pricey though and most around you wont like that decision.

I would think about the kids first since most people with kids tend to but the tiny lot, big home, pool & playground subdivisions that are so dense there are always kids there.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I agree with Mike.
i would think you would hear and see 540 from there, how much I dont know. Also think about traffic at the interchange.

You would be looking for older subdivisions and out of city limit locations. I would use an agent since it requires alot of research.

dont give up things that will make you less happy, lots of homes for sale.
Also remember whoever long it takes to get from point a to b in wake county, it will only take longer as time goes by.

Also if funds allow, what about removing trees from an otherwise good house? Its pricey though and most around you wont like that decision.

I would think about the kids first since most people with kids tend to but the tiny lot, big home, pool & playground subdivisions that are so dense there are always kids there.
Yes, we will use an agent. We have not contacted any yet though, since our lease is not up until May. I was thinking after the New Year.....? Not sure how to find a good one?

I don't want to look exclusively for the kids at the expense at everything else, since the dogs are a huge part of our lives. Does that sound awful? It's not coming across the way I intend Worrying about the dogs annoying neighbors streses me out, and a stressed Mommy isn't the best for the kids, etc. It's not like I plan to let them roam when we have more space (not at all!!). I just don't want as many things *right there* to set them off, you know? A neighborhood pool isn't required, just a nice place to meet other kids and hang out in the summer.

I've thought about removing trees, but probably wouldn't do it. I love trees, just not in MY yard and I don't want to make others upset!

Good thoughts, keep them coming!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:45 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,095,153 times
Quote:
I don't know why you'd need no HOA ??? I have 2 loud dogs, a lot that backs up to woods (but no woods on my actual lot), an HOA, and no issues. We even have an electric fence, not a traditional type.

For us, our lot is small (just under 1/4 acre) but it feels bigger/more private bc we have only ONE direct neighbor. There's woods behind me, then a greenway, then a golf course. I'm at the bottom of a cul de sac, so there's just one house directly next door. No one behind me. the other "next door" neighbor's house is not parallel to mine and probably 90 feet away. So I think it's less about subdivision necessarily and more about the specific lot within that subdivision. We mostly have small lots and I've found that it really has helped us get to know our neighbors. There are OODLES of kids here from newborn up to high school. It's really almost idyllic.

You might want to just get a super duper realtor who's willing to spend the time doing the legwork for you to find that unusually large/well-configured lot in a family-oriented neighborhood.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I don't know why you'd need no HOA ??? I have 2 loud dogs, a lot that backs up to woods (but no woods on my actual lot), an HOA, and no issues. We even have an electric fence, not a traditional type.

For us, our lot is small (just under 1/4 acre) but it feels bigger/more private bc we have only ONE direct neighbor. There's woods behind me, then a greenway, then a golf course. I'm at the bottom of a cul de sac, so there's just one house directly next door. No one behind me. the other "next door" neighbor's house is not parallel to mine and probably 90 feet away. So I think it's less about subdivision necessarily and more about the specific lot within that subdivision. We mostly have small lots and I've found that it really has helped us get to know our neighbors. There are OODLES of kids here from newborn up to high school. It's really almost idyllic.

You might want to just get a super duper realtor who's willing to spend the time doing the legwork for you to find that unusually large/well-configured lot in a family-oriented neighborhood.
Agreed. I'd be ok with an HOA as long as it wasn't too restrictive. I really want to be able to set up agility equipment, and some people will find it unattractive I'm sure With a well configured lot so it can be partially hidden, it might work.

I NEED a traditional fence, however. My largest dog is only 9 pounds and the collars for the wire fences just don't work well for small dogs. I don't need to fence the entire lot, just an area large enough for them to go out to potty safely. They are reliable off leash, and hang out in the yard with me. I also do all training off leash in an unfenced area currently.

So how do I go about finding a realtor willing to do all this legwork for me? Everyone recommends someone different!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary