Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:31 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,331 times

Advertisements

Best wishes to everyone on the first day of school, especially for families that have moved here over the summer and/or have kids that are starting at a new school. I found myself a bit choked up this morning after my 6 year old got on the bus. This is the first day of school for her in NC.

Alice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 06:47 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,222 times
Alice,

I just put my three daughters on their buses. We moved here over the summer from Massachusetts and I am hoping we made the right decision.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:52 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I just dropped mine off at Cary Elementary this morning! We're looking forward to a GREAT year!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 AM

149 posts, read 284,059 times
It's my daughter's first day in an American school (3rd grade), we've moved here from UK, and I'm in tatters, I know I dropped her off in the kiss and go circle, but where do I pick her up? (oops - that was one of those "do you have any other questions?" opportunities wasn't it? )
She was all calm and looking forward to it and I'm a such a mess.

Ruth

Old 08-27-2007, 06:58 AM

959 posts, read 4,493,817 times
Well my new 1st grader did just 6 weeks of school in Durham last year (after our move) but he was definitely pumped to go off on the bus today He refused my offer of driving him to school his first day. It helps that his kindergarten teacher arranged for his best friend to be in his new class to help mitigate his severe only-related-to-school social anxiety. His new teacher has them facing each other

Old 08-27-2007, 07:02 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommapudding View Post
It's my daughter's first day in an American school (3rd grade), we've moved here from UK, and I'm in tatters, I know I dropped her off in the kiss and go circle, but where do I pick her up? (oops - that was one of those "do you have any other questions?" opportunities wasn't it? )

Ruth

I love that phrase "kiss and go circle"! I've never heard that before.
Anyway, that's usually where you pick them up too, but you can call and confirm that.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I love that phrase "kiss and go circle"! I've never heard that before.
Anyway, that's usually where you pick them up too, but you can call and confirm that.
LOL, they call is the "Kiss and Ride" at DC area metro stops.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,621,282 times
Blessings to all you Moms, Dads, and children with your first day of school! My kids don't start until next thursday....

Old 08-27-2007, 07:11 AM

959 posts, read 4,493,817 times
I've been through a great number of kiss and rides (preschool, elementary) and you always pick up at the same place you dropped off, whether that's the front door of the school or a side door. No matter how early you get there to pick up, some kindergarteners' moms will have gotten there before you so just get in line behind them And/or call the school office for peace of mind to double check You can call and ask anything, they're more than likely going to be glad to answer

Old 08-27-2007, 07:11 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommapudding View Post

Ruth
Just prepare yourself when you pick her up that it may be a long wait! It depends on the school, and the number of parents who pick up, but generally, and especially in the beginning, you could be in line for 30 minutes. For my daughter, her pick up is 3pm, I get in line around 220pm, and then I pick her up about 3. Some parents get in line at 250 and pick their kids up at 325, it just depends on you. I would rather sit and wait and pick her up right away than getting their a little later still wait and also have her wait!

Anyhow, it takes a couple of weeks to get it all straightened out and get into the grove of "carpool" line. Good luck!

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary