Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:26 PM

84 posts, read 147,838 times

Advertisements

First thing you need to do is slow down, this is the south still. Northeners who dont slow down and pay attention to the niceties will find it harder here (and HOLD DOORS, please). I'm an Obama guy, but my neighbors on one side loved Guiliani the war profiteer, and other neighbors were independant, etc. We're not a hugely political "this is what I think" place outside of Chapel Hill (I lived there til last year). Thats great that you have guns, but you'll get more love talking about all that in the more rural counties. (the chances of your home being invaded, vs. you accidentally shooting a family member, are so far off that I won't even go there, but whatever)

Wake County Schools are good, but it varies sometimes. You really should spend plenty of time doing your homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 PM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
Quote:
neighbors on one side loved Guiliani the war profiteer
Quote:
Thats great that you have guns, but you'll get more love talking about all that in the more rural counties. (the chances of your home being invaded, vs. you accidentally shooting a family member, are so far off that I won't even go there, but whatever)
But you did go there. I and very many gun owners in Wake County would chose to disagree.

To the OP, you and even your guns are welcome here in Wake Forest. I just wish the Wake County gun range(my favorite also) were not so far away.

PS If you ignore the political commentary, the advice about slowing down was very good.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:29 AM

Here in Belgium, its rare for someone to be able to own a gun, and I rarely hear about a murder with a gun. In the cities we have plenty of "shady" guys (criminal syndicates) from all over the world, and yet magically, we have a fraction of the murders, even though the prison sentences are low. Even cops aren't allowed to bring their guns home at night. Alarm system, good lighting, getting to know your neighbors, cell phone at all times= less crime.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:57 AM

25 posts, read 75,290 times
Just stay far away from cary... its packed full of NJ/NY transplants.... and as a result they aren't very gun friendly there... also avoid Durham County for that reason. Basically NJ/NY people tend to move closer to the cities (that is if they actually like Jersey) For those of us that were trying to get away... we migrate to the more rural parts. If you can get into Granville County then all the better. Good schools there from what I hear. With all thats going on with Wake County busing kids 45 minutes away... I'd try to avoid Wake County if you have school age kids. I'd love to move to Granville if I could. But Franklin county (franklinton/ youngsville area) is a good second. (Only problem with those is that Wake County Range is farther away... but its doable). All depends where you work and how far you are willing to commute... You'll love the freedom you get down here! Good Luck!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:57 PM

109 posts, read 105,620 times
Default Northern conservative is more liberal than southern democrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac811 View Post
Well folks, just what you needed another New Yorker looking to relocate to N.C. We are a family of 5. Father, Mother in 50's Two Daughters 15 & 13 and a Mother in law 81 yrs old. We are conservative in politics and outlook. (No, not all NY ers are liberal. So what will it be? WakeForest or Raleigh. I'm told Wake Forest is still less crowded than Cary. Would it be considered Red or Blue. I've had about all the N.Y. elitest snobbery I can take in this life. How are the schools and the crime (yes we are gun owners). Also how is the climate? We were thinking of Ashville untill research showed the city is VERY Blue. Any help you could give me in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
Do not doubt me on this, but there is something you need to realize.

What many consider liberal here is downright conservative up there. Southern democrats are not the type of democrats you find up there. In fact, southern democrats are MORE conservative than northern republicans, with few exceptions.

Word of advice.....don't jump the shark. Be careful. Johnston County may be a culture shock for you. Best to stay in Wake County. It may be blue every so often, but it's blue with deep red roots.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFL View Post
Do not doubt me on this, but there is something you need to realize.

What many consider liberal here is downright conservative up there. Southern democrats are not the type of democrats you find up there. In fact, southern democrats are MORE conservative than northern republicans, with few exceptions.

Word of advice.....don't jump the shark. Be careful. Johnston County may be a culture shock for you. Best to stay in Wake County. It may be blue every so often, but it's blue with deep red roots.
First off, you're right about Johnston County, generally. This holds for the Eastern third of Wake too, honestly...

For the rest of your thesis: You're missing the many liberal people from the West Coast and the N.E. who have moved to the Triangle just in the last 10-15 years. Are they "Southern Democrats" because they live in the South and are Democrat? It gets tricky to nail down overall tendencies in a region that has gained a number of more liberal Democrats in the last decade or so. Just sayin'...

Old 11-28-2011, 03:21 PM

334 posts, read 867,184 times
You've got to realize that Raleigh is in a southern state but it is not a southern city. it has little southern charm. But as a long time resident I would chose Raleigh over Wake forest any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary