Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:10 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times

Advertisements

Just in case people missed this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerTexasRanger View Post
I guess Raleigh is out of the question for me at this time. But thanks for everyones help and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 11:31 AM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
Quote:
I guess Raleigh is out of the question for me at this time. But thanks for everyones help and advice.
You can find someone looking for a roommate at $350/month. It might not be the ideal situation, but if you don't have any prospects in Kinston, I would go for it. Hell, I've moved places that I've had to roll coins to have enough money for the deposit. Go for it, what is the worst that could happen? You'd find yourself jobless again in Kinston? Don't let other people tell you that you can't do something just because you don't have a ton of money saved up.

Michael

Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
I know what a dump Kinston is and I think you SHOULD move to Raleigh. However, I know you mentioned you hate roomates. You will have to have roomates on a budget of $350/month.

You could go on craigslist and look for rooms for rent in a home. You could find a room for rent for less than $350. Keep in mind there will be other roomates in this home. Also keep in mind that Raleigh is NOT like Kinston and roomates will not be at the house 24/7. Usually roomates are out enjoying their lives. So........you may not see them most of the time. Which is a great thing imo.

Everytime I drive through Kinston I get disgusted. I would not live there. The biggest thing there is a chicken plant. Best of luck and do not let these other posters bring you down. You will have far more oportunities in Raleigh than anywhere east of Clayton along highway 70 (including Kinston).

Old 12-17-2011, 04:57 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
You could find an apartment in Louisburg for around your price range. It's a 30-minute commute into Raleigh.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:53 PM

192 posts, read 313,025 times
WalkerTexasRanger, I would not give up so fast. You probably won't be able to find a rental for $350 a month but if you feel that this would be a good change for you, look into all of the options available. As others on this forum said, think about a roommate, renting a room(lots of homeowners are struggling to pay their mortgages and may be willing to rent out a room).

There are communities that offer low cost housing options for low income renters such as the property in this link. They have many units available to people that meet certain income requirements. Of course most apt communities will require that you have a job making either 2 or 3 months the rental amount or can show a reserve of 3/6 months worth of rental payments in the bank.

Call them to get the details & see if you would qualify under their criteria.

Carlton Place Apartments in Raleigh, NC | Apartments.com

Good Luck!

Rocio Rojas

Old 12-19-2011, 07:24 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rociovrojas View Post
WalkerTexasRanger, I would not give up so fast.... Good Luck!Rocio Rojas
DITTO!

I never intended for my response to be taken to mean "don't bother" but to encourage you to think outside the box to find a workable solution for achieving your goals within the budget you have.

Please, never let anyone kill your dream. Only you know your heart and your willingness to "climb the highest mountain" to achieve what you want for your life.

Kind regards,
mj

Old 12-26-2011, 07:19 PM

81 posts, read 148,660 times
Quote:
HI, i'm living in Kinston NC and have recently been separated from my job. I feel I would have more opportunities for me if I lived in a big city like Raleigh, NC. I'm currently paying $350 a month in rent in Kinston and that is the max I can spend on rent.

I have searched all over the internet looking for apartments for $350 and I came up with apartments in the Raleigh area for like $1000 a month, thats CRAZY.

I am single, only would need a 1 bedroom 1 bath, dont have any pets. I defiantly DO NOT want a roommate, as I hate living with people.

Does anyone know any apartments for $350 a month or less in the Raleigh or surrounding area?
I live in Houston Texas now this is a BIG CITY!!! and I'm ready to move ...I'm moving to NC because my family is there and I'm pretty sure it will be a hard time finding a job... When I moved to Houston it took me a year to find a job so I know when I get there it will be harder

Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
I think you could come close to your budget by renting out a mother-in -law suite or basement apartment with a separate entrance or a garage apartment. Then you have your privacy.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:52 AM

170 posts, read 774,459 times
To the OP. I can understand where your coming from. There is nothing like being independant, living alone, and desiring a decent place to live at an affordable rate. Here are a few suggestions:

Apply for section 8 and see where that gets you. Section 8 still exist (I know this because I have a friend who works at an apartment complex and he sees the section 8 payments all the time, people are payin $25, $50 and $100 in rent while section 8 takes care of the rest). http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/h...th_caroli.html

Apply for food stamps. Food stamps (which is now an electronic card) still exist. Dont be ashamed to sit in that food stamp office for an interview to collect funds. http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dss/foodstamp/

If you get a NO from section 8 and I NO from the food stamp office, you might have to stay where you currently are now and pray a job opportunity comes open. Depending on how much you get in unemployment, you are allowed to work part time up to a certain number of hours before they a) cut unemployment off all together for the week you file or b) reduce your weekly benefit payment for that particular week. Sometimes I'll be honest its not even worth the hassel to get a part time job, HOWEVER if you can get a full time job that pays more than what you get per week in unemployment, you will be doing good.

Perhaps you could even do a room with your own bathroom. While its not a "roomate" situation, people in private homes rent out a room to people, they stay out of your way, and you come and go as you please so long as you pay the room rental price. You can find those ads in craigslist. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/roo/

The conclusion is YES you can have your one bedroom apartment and live alone and pay $350 HOWEVER you will need some government assistance to do that. If you dont qualify, I'd either stay where you are and apply for jobs in raleigh while living in Kinston, drive up here for a few interviews assuming you have a car, and see what comes through. Again, your going to need help from some government entity.

On a side bar, if you have certain sickness (lets say HIV related, cancer, mental health issues) there are a number of programs out there who will help you find a place to live. It might not be the best, but you will have a roof over your head and at this rate. Please also understand, low income housing is most certainly going to cause you to have a safety issue in the long run.

Just my two cents.....

Old 01-15-2012, 04:07 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
In Raleigh area, maybe a closet for $350.

Even rooms in this area rent for about $100 a week and up. I'm in Durham, helping a friend find a furnished room & that's what he is seeing. Raleigh is even more expensive than Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary